• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clutch problem - I think!

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Guys

I think my clutch is developing a problem. I say think because its one of those gradual things where you're not sure if you're imagining it or the car has always been like that.

My impression now is that the clutch is engaging later in its travel than before. When driving in Paris recently and changing quickly from 2nd to 3rd under acceleration I thought I had missed a gear as the engine revved noisily, (very embarrassing!!) the car was in gear so I then thought Id bust the clutch. I very gingerly drove it home. The clutch continued to work. Ive taken it out a couple of times since to try and identify if there really is a problem. It appears to work normally most of the time albeit with the engagement near the end of its travel. On occasions I think (imagine) it seems to be worse, almost feeling like its not engaging momentarily.

The clutch was replaced less than 7000 miles ago together with the release bearing and bushes and the pressure plate was machined.

I feel the problem must be in the hydraulics but I don't detect any loss of fluid.

The rubber hose to the slave seems ok but maybe its expanding/collapsing. As the clutch is not adjustable what else is there?

Can the master cylinder be malfunctioning slightly even with no loss of fluid?

Is it worth starting by overhauling the master cylinder and replacing the hose to the slave anyway?

How long is that hose suppose to be. Mine has a bend in it which makes it hang down slightly below the frame which doen't seem right and which I dont like.

Also when I brake and my foot is resting on the clutch pedal Im sure I sometimes feel the latter move slightly, is that possible/normal. They share a reservoir.

thanks in advance

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Derek, I don’t want to hijack this thread, but I came on line to post a question about my clutch!!

My clutch is having the opposite problem and I too “feel” uncertain if it’s always been that way, or if it’s gradually getting worse.

The clutch seems to be engaging at the bottom of its travel, like it’s engaging too soon as I’m lifting off the pedal. It also “seems” like I’m pushing the pedal further before I can feel the clutch dis-engaging.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi DerekJ, I think you are about to require a clutch replacement.She's about due with 7000 on the clock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif--Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Dar100, I suggest you go over the hydraulics and check clutch travel it just might be a bit short. Check the push rod too it or the pin may be worn--Fwiw---Keoke

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
Clutch should last much more than 7000 miles -- unless you have very clutch unfriendly driving habits. Many folks like to slide it too much and when they do, they can be toasted rather quickly.

It sounds, though, like you have a problem with the hydraulic clutch linkage. Normally, as a clutch wears, the engagement point rises higher and higher from the floor until the clutch will not engage completely at all. I don't have a hydraulic clutch on my Healey, but I thought that the hydraulic system should compensate for these changes. Yours seems to not be doing that. Perhaps a bleed port is plugged. For whatever reason, it sounds like the slave cylinder is not backing off all the way, and so the clutch is not allowed to engage fully.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the hydraulic linkage can offer an explaination, but I doubt if the clutch is worn out -- though it will wear out quickly if you don't fix the problem and it continues to slip.

Bill
Albuquerque,

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Keoke

That surprises me, 7000 miles seems like not much at all, is that normal for a Healey

What are other people getting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 10K is pretty good under heavy use.---Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
Hi DerekJ, I think you are about to require a clutch replacement.She's about due with 7000 on the clock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif--Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Derek,
I think that I agree with Keoke. As the clutch disc wears, the release fingers on the pressure plate move back toward the release bearing. The hydraulics may be self compensating, in that as the release fingers & slave cylinder piston move back due to disc wear, it will require less fluid.

The release point on the pedal travel will just rise UNTIL the slave cylinder reaches the end of it's retracted travel. From then on, it will hold the clutch partially released. You could maybe verify this by checking the pressure on the slave cylinder push rod when the pedal is fully up. It should be fairly slight. Much pressure on the rod would mean that it is holding the pressure plate partially released.

All other wear problems in push rods, linkage pivots, & hydraulic problems, that I can think of would result in the opposite condition. Unless the statement ---"My impression now is that the clutch is engaging later in its travel than before."--- actually means that it is simply delaying engagement as the pedal travels upward. Not that it is ultimately engaging at a higher position. Slow to engage WOULD likely be a hydraulic problem.
D

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Under normal driving I have 40.000 mi on clutch with no signs of any problems or even changes in release point, J.G. '65 3000

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Had the car out today, could get very little response until the end of clutch pedal travel, most of the time, it was insufficient to disengage and get it into gear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I tried ‘pumping’ the clutch pedal a few times and got more action. To me, this indicates air in the system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I had the servo replaced about a month ago, (250 miles ago,) and have had no problems until now. The brakes and clutch share the hydraulic system as far as I can tell. The reservoir is full and has no air bubbles in it. The clutch mater cylinder has a slight amount of fluid by the outlet line, but no more is evident when the clutch pedal is depressed.

The clutch master and slave cylinders were replaced about 1990. (About 20,000 miles ago.)

I haven’t been able to check the pedal linkage; I intend to do that and look at the slave cylinder tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Your pumping to get a bite is indicitive of air in the system. Blead the clutch. This same indicator works on any vehicle any year any make, brakes or clutch.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Dar100, it could be air and then again it may be the master on its way out. Since it is esier to bleed the system give that the first go. However, there should be no evidence of fluid at any fitting or it will suck air.---Keoke

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif We bled the clutch system. Clutch operated normally.

Since the problem came on gradually, it’s probably the connections or one of the cylinders. Tightened up the connections. The slave is suspect, so I’m going to replace it and the line to it.

Thanks everyone for the advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
DerekJ

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thats good news DAR

Unfortunately I dont have the facilities to work on mine so its booked in to a knowledgeable garage this coming friday. Im starting by replacing the rubber pieces in the master & slave and also the rubber hose to the slave.

I'll let you know what happens