• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A possible problem with the clutch

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Hey gang. I have my 78 Midget 1500 running pretty good and at this point in the game try and be proactive when it comes to mechanical issues that are going to surface. Im starting to notice occasionally while out and about that getting into 1st gear is sometimes problematic. I will be at a light stopped then shift into first and it wont go. Go to second then into first and it usually works or if I let off the clutch pedal just a tad to work it in carefully. My clutch fluid level is fine and the clutch components have only about 50,000 miles on it. I have read up on the clutch system and start to wonder if the slave cylinder is getting to the point that it needs some attention. These cars seem to have a lot of quirks compared to the cars of today and I wonder sometimes what is normal versus problems too come. Also, how do I post pics to the gallery so I can show and tell a bit.

how to post a pic.

use full screen reply

in tiny little letters at the bottom, it will say file manager

a small box will pop up and let you browse to file you would like attach

add file(s) each one must be under 100kb

click done adding files

submit post

mark

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Sweendog,

You've just learned the proper procedure for using a non synchronized first gear. Always shift into second gear before shifting into first or reverse. You must be stopped totally in order to engage 1st or Reverse. Doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your tranny at this point. That's how all of these cars work. Now you've got a Spitfire Tranny in your car I do beleive rather than a Rib Case or Smoothcase. YMMV.

tweety

Jedi Trainee
I have the same problem with my '79 intermittently. I suspect the slave also.

I read something here recently about an issue where causes the clutch fluid to expand or boil or something like that. I wish I could remember the details.

Anyone remember?

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Does it grind horribly? Or can you just not push the gearshift into the right place?

If it grinds, as Jim mentions above, your 1st synchro is shot... get used to shifting into 1st only when fully stopped, and shifting into 2nd first. I've driven mine like this for two summers now, no ill effects.

If it's just that it's difficult to push into place, it may just be wear / slop in the shift linkage. I haven't done one on a Spridget yet, but I'm guessing there must be plastic bushings that can be replaced?

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sweendog, my car has only 30,000 on it, and the clutch has 2000 on it. My first gear just doesn't have strong synchros like the other gears, and it will crunch trying to get to first while I'm still moving. Every once in 10 times or so it doesn't like going into first at a light, which involves a quick release of the clutch in neutral, which usually fixes it. So, it's not just yours. I chalked it up to weak synchros on first, either because of wear or design. The one time my clutch got air in it (see one of my recent posts about the dust boot), I couldn't get it into first and I could only get it into second with considerable effort, so I suspect your clutch is probably OK.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Synchros in first, what kind of a car are you driveing. Bump second to stop the cluster then into first or reverse when dead stoped.

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Thanks guys for the feedback. I feel a bit better that its more of the norm as I kinda was already thinking. As much as I enjoy these cars the extra little effort to shift into first at times is somewhat "fun" for me and keeps things interesting. I called Peter C and have a new wheel cylinder on the way for my rear passenger brake side thats leaking a tad. Once I get that squared away everything is all working up to par. My car is all primered and ready for paint. I need to downsize my photo's somehow so I can show you all the work I have done since buying this car last year in October. I have come a long way with a good amount of money spent of course.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
jlaird said:
Synchros in first, what kind of a car are you driveing. Bump second to stop the cluster then into first or reverse when dead stoped.

1500 transmissions have syncro in all 4 gears Jack