• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Possible new Triumph...input sought !

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Have been a Triumph owner for the past 30+ years. Restored
5 TR3' & TR4's. Still own a very nice TR3B.
Today ran across the following:
1969 GT6 +. Basics: Always a California car. ZERO rust.
While not perfect...body in very nice shape. Runs a little rough. Will check compression tomorrow. Goal for me is a
nice driver (will be keeping the TR3B). Like the aspect of the metal roof come our wet Winters.
SO...what can the Forum tell us to look for in the GT6+ ?
Floor pans, doors & sills rust free. Hood opens and closes
very well. Will need a brake job...will freshen up the interior although it is all present.
What is the market on this car? Where are the areas we should
be looking? Thanks again for feedback! Gil

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I don't know much about the GT6 but I love the style!
P.M. me I know a guy that will be having a GT6 up for sale soon for about $3200. Very nice car and he lives close by near Napa.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
If she has a solid body it is hard to go too wrong Gil. GT6 prices have been on the move, and I agree that having a coupe is nice. Grab her!

V

vagt6

IF (and that's a big "if") rust is not a problem, there's nothing unusual about a GT6 restoration. It's rare to find an unrestored GT6 without rust. In fact, I'd be sceptical of any unrestored GT6 whose owner alleges that it has none. Check for rust in all the usual places (i.e., pans; sills; A-post; bonnet; rear valence; roof above/along the windscreen, etc., etc.).

The GT6 shares many body, electric and suspension parts with Spitfires and parts are easy to source and relatively inexpensive. Engine bits are not hard to find, either. The gearbox is robust and not hard to restore, also with reliable parts vendors and good aftermarket support.

In the rear suspension, depending on the model you'll either have a swing axle or rotoflex couplings. If it's a rotoflex, look for cracks and anomalies in the rubber doughnuts, and of course the usual suspension wear items in either version. Check spring and suspension mounting points carefully for rust and strength. Test drive the car on a bumpy road and listen for clunks, plunks, whines (diff problems?) and vibration.

Also, make sure the frame is straight. This is a biggie since it's expensive to straighten or repair a bent frame. Seems that most GT6s were driven hard in their day and often suffer collision damage, sometimes not easy to find.

Often the damage was to the front end: open the bonnet and look at the spacing shims in the front suspension where it attaches to the frame: if the shims are unusually unequal (lots on one side, few or none on the other), you might have a bent frame. Also, measure tire clearance in both front wing wells. Clearances between the tire and the wheel well/bonnet should be the same on both sides. Check body panel gaps for consistency, too, which can be a sign of frame weakness/damage. Further scrutiny of the frame is a very good idea. Get the car up in the air and take measurements for trueness from front to rear, and visually inspect the frame (with lots of light!) for rot and anomalies.

No rust, straight frame: you're good to go for a project car. Nice examples of GT6s, especially MKIIs, are so rare that most of us are compelled to look for good project cars instead of nicely sorted ones. IF you can do most of the work yourself, a GT6 is one of the least expensive LBCs to restore, IMHO. If you're lucky, you might just be able to restore it and spend close to the market value of the car (did I say "lucky"? :crazyeyes:).

And I must add that well-sorted GT6 is a thrill to drive. Plenty of power (130HP is easily coaxed from the 2000 using period-correct parts) and it handles very well. And the hellish howl of that silky smooth six is a big part of the joy of owning a GT6.

I wish you luck, always good to see someone rescue one of these rare and beautiful Triumphs.

Let us know what you do, POST PHOTOS, and good luck! :thumbsup:

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Mark's comments are right on. Going beyond what to watch for, GT6's are wonderfully fun to drive. Ample torque minimizes the need to shift (but if you want to, the rev happy 6 makes some wonderful noises. The passenger compartment is cosy and quiet. Best suited for outdoor temperatures under 70 degrees or comfort suffers. For whatever reason, the uninformed seem to be particularly drawn to them (you'll answer alot of questions). Would be a great alternative driving experience to the TR3B - more touring than sports. If we must address market values, this probably is not the car someone should look for. I love mine.
IMGP1803.jpg

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Mark has good points. The normal spots are also in front of rear wheels and behind front wheel for rust. Also the rear wheel well tends to have rust or can. Mark says it all with the frame. Being this a rotoflex check the donuts. Most stuff for the GT6 is inexpensive compared to the TRs and easy to get because almost everything is either from the spitfire or some stuff is from the TR6 for engine parts (only some).

The one thing you will find is that it will be a warm car and many put in sound proofing and heat shields around the floor and tunnel. Other then that the car is a blast to drive and if you want you can break the back end loose easy to have the car so some fun stuff. Good luck.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
The one thing I forgot to say is some tall people have issues getting into or out of this car. Maker sure you can get in and be comfortable.

OP
G

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Possible new Triumph...input sought ! [UPDATE]

Well...If Paul Harvey were still around...This would be the
"Rest of the Story"!
The car has many good points...being really rust free and with a straight frame. Cannot see any prior dammage.
The engine pretty soon will need to be rebuilt...and the carbs also....but all this could be taken care of. Research
seemed to indicate the car was a tad over priced @ $6300.
But...in working around the car today...discovered that getting in and out of it...this is not the right car for us.
These old bones aren't what they used to be! Who knows...may look for a TR6 W/ hardtop to consider.
THANK YOU to all who replied! The Forum is a great resource!
Gil