• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

clutch - hydraulic throw out bearing

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Is anyone running a hydraulic throw-out bearing on their clutch system? Revington I believe offers them for quite a sum and Tilton is a primary manufacturer but I'm unsure which model will fit the TR6. There is just so much talk of mechanical clutch woes I'm looking at alternatives.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I delt with one of those on a Superformance Cobra. I imagine if it was set up right it would be great, but if its even a little wrong, it can overextend and blow the seal. It then procedes to soak the clutch disc with brake fluid, and the only way to fix it is to pull the tranny. And when they go, that's it. it's a tranny pull
After the second fix, we pulled it out in favor of the standard setup of the external hydraulic cylinder.
I personally don't like the idea of the hydraulics being inside the bellhousing. I like to be able to easily get to them.
And I diden't see or feel any advantage to the center type actuator. It was no easier to operate than the old lever type.
I personally would steer clear of one of those little jobbies, You'll never see one installed by me on one of my cars.
Just my 2 cents.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have no personal experience with the hydraulic throw out bearing, but Herman van den Akker deliveres it with his Toyota 5 Speed conversion kit. Also, I believe the last of the Chevy S10 5 speed trucks used one. You can ask a service writer at a Chevy dealership if they were used and if there were problems.
I think they are an interesting alternative. i would like to hear from others who have experience with them.

TR4MAN

I know they were used in some of the early '90s Ford trucks. A friend has one. Small leak = Trans R&R. Royal PITA. Other than less moving parts and possibly more room under an LBC I don't see an advantage.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I have one of the Toyota 5 speed conversions on my TR3. I love it. With the hydrolic throw out is takes about 1 inch of play on the clutch pedal to shift gears.

Herman van den Akker is easy to work with and knows his product well. his website is https://www.blindmoosefab.com/index.htm

I have been running the 5 speed since mid summer and it works very well.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
What's a rough estimate on the price of the conversion kit?
I'm sure I can come up with the Toyota trans for almost nothing, and I would like to compare to the cost of buying and rebuilding an original OD trans.

G

His kit is 1485 plus shipping - $38 to downstate ny. It can't be much more to you.

OP
71tr

71tr

Jedi Warrior
The cost of a used toyota 5-speed transmission is only a couple hundred bucks, Herman earns his money by supplying what appears to be an outstanding kit. Granted $1,500 is not chump change but a rebuilt TR6 overdrive tranny typically runs $1,100-$2,000. I'm adding a j-type overdrive unit to my TR6 tranny and with all the parts and rebuild components I'm looking at about $950 and I'm doing all the work. I was very tempted to go with the toyota conversion but decided to give the original w/overdrive first crack in my restore.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
His kit is 1485 plus shipping - $38 to downstate ny. It can't be much more to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
GHAAAKKKK! My heart!
I know I can get an OD trans for less than that. Heck I got my TR4A and TR2 combined for less than that. I think I'll live with my trusty 4 speed for now, and make an OD trans part of my long term search ideas.

G

Right - and then on top of that you have no resale. Who wants a 60s car with a 5-speed...

If your car isn't too modified the o/d box can handle the power, so if you can swing it, get the o/d. It only adds value rather than reducing it.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
Personally, I don't plan on selling my car, and if I do, I already have the sale lined up - my 15 yo son has already said he has dibbs on it. He may get it by the time he's 30.

But then, I'm not a purist.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi all,

I think it should be relatively simple and not too expensive to convert a TR g'box to use a hydraulic clutch release. Yes, the British vendors are offering TR-specific kits, which would probably be the easiest fit, but probably are based upon US-sourced Tilton universal releases that you'd be re-importing at additional cost. When looking at TR vendor sites in the UK, they usually include 17.5% VAT, which you won't have to pay. On the other hand, shipping from the UK is pricey.

There are four or five US manufacturers of these releases. I don't know what's used on the Toyota 5-speed, maybe it is a possibility too.

I've been researching a little and Tilton seems about the most popular/reliable universal model that's possible to fit to TRs. There are two Tilton universal, not sure which one is right for TRs, that sell for $271 and $296 at Summit Racing. ( https://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=400017+314983&autoview=sku ) An adapter plate would need to be machined to mount this to the gearbox. Shimmmed to fit, plumbed and it's done. Pretty simple and should give quicker shifts as well.

I figure the cost of a stock TR setup done right - new T.O. bearing, new bearing carrier, new greasable cross shaft (TR4 & earlier style), new release fork, new dreaded taper pin, new shaft bushings, new slave cylinder - would all add up to about the same, maybe a little less. If upgrading to a Gunst T.O., it would likely cost more for TR4A/later, and a lot more for TR4/ealier where it would also be necessary to replace or modify the flywheel and change to the later style clutch and pressure plate (if those aren't being replaced anyway).

No, I haven't installed a hydraulic release on my TR4. Everything in it is new. But, at the slightest hint of trouble, I'll likely give the Tilton a try.

I don't see the 5-speed conversion as necessarily devaluing a car. It's a reversible modification. Just hang onto the TR gearbox and, if a sale ever happens, it would be possible to reinstall it if the new owner wishes.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,

I have said this (several times)before that from a purely driving aspect the overdrive fourspeed gearbox is superior to a five speed unit. In particular, the speed range with a Triumph six in third and overdrive third is huge with a simple click of the overdrive switch and no need, if you want, to even lift off the throttle.
For those who have a standard four speed and are thinking of a five speed versus adding an overdrive, if you can borrow an overdrive car to try and I think you will appreciate the flexibility. I also own a Jaguar with four speed and overdrive(top gear only) and can enjoy spirited driving on rural roads, just flicking the O\D in and out with third for some of the tighter bends. With cars of reasonable power and torque, who needs five speeds or automatic gearboxes?

Alec

G

Mainly because here you are talking about a multi hour drive to get anywhere. It's far more relaxed, quieter and more pleasant to do it with the car revving at 2500 than 3200.

Just to give you a perception - take a drive up the M6 for a couple of hours, turn around and come back without stopping except for gas and without using o/d. Imagine doing that semi-regularly and you'll see exactly why people here want anything that will make that easier or more pleasant.

Just as an aside - before I moved here I thought someone that drove 5 hours each way to go away for the weekend was stark staring mad. Now I think it's normal.