• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Clutch Engagement

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have just finished a total restoration of a 1954 TR-2 Long Door. It has a new clutch, slave cylinder and master cylinder. I have everything together and adjusted according to the specs. I have adjusted the slave cylinder rod according to the spec's and the transmission will go into all gears without grinding.

My problem is the clutch will not engage until the pedal is all the way to the top. I can shift to the gears but no engagement until the pedal is at the top? This creates a dangerous situation when you need to hit the brake in a hurry.

Any ideas on how make a adjustment to lower the engagement closer to the floor?

Dick

2liter4cyl

Bronze
Country flag
I have just finished a total restoration of a 1954 TR-2 Long Door. It has a new clutch, slave cylinder and master cylinder. I have everything together and adjusted according to the specs. I have adjusted the slave cylinder rod according to the spec's and the transmission will go into all gears without grinding.

My problem is the clutch will not engage until the pedal is all the way to the top. I can shift to the gears but no engagement until the pedal is at the top? This creates a dangerous situation when you need to hit the brake in a hurry.

Any ideas on how make a adjustment to lower the engagement closer to the floor?

Dick
There are 3 holes in the clutch lever. Which hole is the push rod in?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
What's wrong with a high pedal?

The rock hard is likely when the clutch bottoms out because you have the adjustment way tight. Have you followed the manual adjustment procedure?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
So it is not a high pedal? If you adjust it properly, then one time will do. I adjusted my clutch once, 5 years ago, and have not touched it since. Would you please explain how you are adjusting the linkage?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well, there seems to be enough owners with clutch adjustment issues that I will go over the entire set-up procedure from start to finish...

1) Ensure that the master rod from the pedal to the master cylinder is adjusted so the pedal is at least 7" from the floor and, when released, allows the master cylinder piston to fully return.

2) Uncap the reservoir and ensure the reservoir is full of fluid.

3) From under the car, place a 12-24" length of translucent hose onto the slave cylinder bleed valve. Have a cup handy to drain into.

4) Crack the slave bleed valve until fluid JUST starts to drain into the hose. If you open too far, then air will leak around the valve threads. 1/4 turn should be enough. You do NOT need to touch the clutch pedal. When all bubbles stop, gently close the bleed valve and remove the hose.

Note: If the fluid does not drain on its own, then the master cylinder has not been primed properly...another thread if needed...or, you didn't do step 1 correctly (most common)

5) Top off the reservoir and put the cap back on.

6) Remove the clutch return spring from the clutch lever under the car. Ensure the lever is in the middle hole on the clutch lever. You can use the other holes, but ONLY once you understand what you are doing by doing so. If you are learning from reading this, then you should not be using any other hole than the middle.

7) Loosen the lock nut on the clutch rod several turns and loosen the adjuster until you can easily move the clutch lever back and forth a bit. If you do not have enough travel to do this, then just shorten the rod as far as it goes.

8) Push the clutch lever to the rear until it hits a stop. Only use a pound or 2 of pressure, no more. Note this position...mark it if you need to on the side of the bellhousing.

9) Now, while holding the lever to the rear, unscrew the adjuster until it takes up all the slack to the clutch lever.

10) Grab the clutch lever and push it forward as hard as you can. This will compress the slave cylinder spring. While holding the lever forward, unscrew the adjuster until the lever moves back to the rear stop. If you let go, the slave cylinder spring will take up the play and the lever will move back to the stop. Keep unscrewing the rod, and pushing and releasing the clutch lever forward, until all the play is gone, and when you release the lever it does not move backwards.

Note: Doing step 10 takes a little practice. It is possible to lose track of the position of the clutch lever and actually adjust the rod so you are actuating the clutch. You are only taking up the spring pressure in the slave cylinder until the slave bottoms out...but you are not trying to move the clutch lever farther back than in step 8.

11) At this stage the clutch lever should be back where it was in step 8. The slave cylinder piston should be bottomed fully "in" or "forward". If you try to move the clutch lever forward it should not budge...not even a smidge! If you push the clutch lever rearward, it will only move rearward with a good bit of force.

12) Unscrew the adjuster 1 turn, and only 1 turn. Lock the nut at this position. Now the Clutch lever will move forward, but only a very tiny amount...1/16th of an inch to be precise.

13) Re-install the return spring between the slave cylinder and the clutch fork.

That's it. It took me 10 times longer to write this than it takes to do it. If you are still having trouble after following the above steps to the tee, then you have a bad master or slave cylinder. The system is that simple.

Last edited:

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
There is an article on Triumph Experience called "Bleeding the hydraulic clutch system" ....it points out that "gravity bleeding will work to clear the clutch line of air but there will be a bubble left in the slave cylinder. "Unbolt the slave cylinder and hold it in such a way that the bleeder valve is at the highest point relative to the incoming line." or put another way "unbolt the slave body and tip it slightly until the bleeder is uppermost."

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I have never had to do that. The engine/tranny assembly tilts to the rear, and the slave cylinder is designed with the bleeder to be at the highest point. Maybe, if you have a driveway with a slope you could have a problem bleeding, but on level ground you don't have to do anything special. I think so many owners are having trouble because there are so many complicated routines being posted. The clutch system in the TR is as simple as it gets.

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
John, that's a superb write up!! All TR2/3 owners should make a copy of those steps and place it in the clutch section of their repair manuals/reference books. Thanks for documenting that procedure!
Bob

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks, Bob. There have been about a half dozen threads this year with owners who can't seem to get their clutches to work. I suspect they are not following the manual correctly, so I hope this helps...

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
My bad...that is confusing. Screw in or reduce the length one turn. I will edit #12 to reflect that.

edit...maybe not! It won't let me edit 2 days back.