• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cleaning up the mess... engine bay make-over

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
OK, now that I have my engine out, I'm looking over my sorry looking engine compartment. I've gone through 5 cans of carb cleaner getting things cleaned off. Brake fluid did some damage to some of the paint/undercoating so I need to know if anyone can recommend a GOOD, paintable undercoating product. The PO, when HE had the engine out, painted the whole compartment, brake-lines, wiring harness, brackets, shocks, you name it, it's a mess. Pretty crummy job. The paint didn't even match. He did, however, take the time to mask off all the decals....go figure.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Better you than me Ed :jester:

I know some have used POR15 - which seems indestructible. Tony used spray on bedliner for the bottom of his - not sure you want that for the engine bay. You don't just want to prime/paint & not spill brake fluid? that would be my suggestion, especially as you seem to have painted the rest of the car yourself so I presume it's not going to a shop.

BTW, what did you decide engine wise? did the new one work out?

OP
lbc_newbie

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
I see that this is a roll/brush on product. I'm fond of the old trusty spray can applicator. Any other suggestions?

The car has original paint. I really has a nice patina to it. I will eventually paint it the same color, just not a priority right now.

Doug is working on it. We were going to meet at the Portland Jumble on Sunday to make the exchange, but we both got pretty busy. Might be the weekend after. He is going to do the leak-down test, compression test, and he even offered to paint it! He also offered to resurface my flywheel. I really hope this works out, or I might just need you guys to help me rebuild mine. Doug is a great guy to know!!

liljohnTR250

some people pay to much attention to things that don't matter.............When my dad did the 250 he painted the engine bay at the same time as the car ... I'm not exactly sure what he used as under coating. I can how ever find out for you.... Soon

liljohnTR250

Luckly when my my dad was restoring the 250 his friend Mark (one of the best painters I've ever known) needed some work done on a vehicle. My dad did an engine rebuild and complete motor swap for the paint job. It has been at least 9yrs since it was done and you would think it was painted yesterday.

I will get with bob and find out what they used for under coat tryed calling him but no reply will keep you posted

walshja

Jedi Warrior
Ed, you can order spray rattle cans with the exact color of your MG. You only need to figure out the paint code of your paint (easy to figure out)

I got some for mine, with paint pens to fix several scratches on the car. All worked amazingly well.

I can dig up the website if you are interested.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
I used Eastwood's rust-preventive paint, but it too is a brush-on / roll-on application (Come to think of it, they may offer it in a spray version too!) before top-coating with a color-matched spray bomb. No rubberized undercoat layer, but you could certainly do one before the topcoat, particularly in the lower areas.

26-05-07_1357.jpg

26-05-07_1534.jpg

walshja

Jedi Warrior
https://www.paintscratch.com/

is where I ordered mine. the color matches perfectly. I imagine you can order from anywhere though

I purchased paint pens and a couple rattle cans, received them in less than a week. I plan on using the rattle cans to clean up my engine bay, like around the battery tray. and the paint pens are perfect for fixing those scratches all over the car.