• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cleaning parts tonight

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Was working on Vivian Vauxhall's steering rack tonight - finally got the second ball joint off. (hurray for weasel p*ss and heat)Then spent considerable time cleaning cleaning and cleaning. There is something very therapeutic about just listening to jazz and cleaning stuff. Of course it is slightly maddening as you realize that many of these parts not only seem designed to trap dirt and grease but they are very very effective at it. Still, progress.

TraceZ

When I'm cleaning parts the biggest problem I face is all the dirt off the parts ending up on me, my tools, the floor, the wall, etc....

After I stripped the engine bay on my car for the underhood resto I spent a half hour degreasing the engine bay in my driveway with a powerwasher.

I then spent over an hour cleaning the driveway, and myself.

Clean up one mess only to create another!

Spridget64SC

Jedi Trainee
Tracy; I know what you mean!!!!!

That's just the way it is. The shop aprons have gone from denim colored on the front to just a dull grey. My jeans along the legs are the same. I was cleaning the bits and pieces from a 1275 engine last night on the wire wheel and that part of the shop has a splattering of stuff all over the wall behind it and the door near it and the steps to the attic, and-and-and. You get the picture. The engine was in an underhood fire and there is burnt oil on both the outside and the inside. I've degreased and pressure washed the block with hot water directly from the water heater once, brushed the rust with Naval Jelly and pressure washed a second time and will now spray down with oven cleaner and pressure wash again. All making a huge mess on the drive infront of the shop. Then cleaning up and making a mess all over again.

You know you are a gearhead and car addict when you keep a gallon jug of Orange GOJO/Fast Orange in the shower. Multiple finger nail brushes and scrubbers too!

John-Peter;

For us Southern Red-Necks, its Bluegrass or Country-Rock and the therapeutic treatment of parts cleaning. With a little cool weather now our way, I pre-heat the parts to be painted on the old shop wood stove and then hang under the flue for drying. Quite a relaxing but fulfilling day when it's cold and rainy outside and nice and warm and cozy inside.

Take care guys, can't wait to get back to the shop tonight for some more therapy.

Mike Miller
Walhalla, SC

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Spridget64SC said:
John-Peter;

For us Southern Red-Necks, its Bluegrass or Country-Rock and the therapeutic treatment of parts cleaning. With a little cool weather now our way, I pre-heat the parts to be painted on the old shop wood stove and then hang under the flue for drying. Quite a relaxing but fulfilling day when it's cold and rainy outside and nice and warm and cozy inside.

Take care guys, can't wait to get back to the shop tonight for some more therapy.

Mike Miller
Walhalla, SC

Nice! Getting cooler and cooler here (read cold) Yesterday was media blasting parts at a friend's shop - therapeutic but tedious, next time I'm bringing a book for when the compressor recharges - and it is a big compressor. Ah well, he has cool cars to explore while I waited - Trabant - Lada Niva - Lloyd Bond Bug - Bond Mk2 - Dnepr Bike & Sidecar - Prefect - Vespa Ape - Vespa Truck etc. etc. and I love clean parts!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Clean parts are fun.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
jlaird said:
Clean parts are fun.

Painted the first parts tonight - we have a store in the town where my daughter lives called KW Surplus - it is as the name implies. Anyway they get job lots of paint from time to time - last time I was there was one of those times. Bought primer and silver and black all rattle cans. The black is actually high heat, didn't need high heat but it (all of it was cheap) anyway, it is the PERFECT shade of matte black - looks like it came out of the factory that way. Also bought a couple of cans of brush on rust paint one of which is flat black and the other of which is stainless steel - with real stainless steel, I am excited to try it. Finally I bought two cans of engine paint - early MOPAR turquoise. I'm trying to figure out whether I have the nerve to use it on the Vauxhall (Chevy) it is such a cool colour I had to buy it for something.

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ahhhh K-W surplus, I lived a couple blocks from there years ago, went there every week !