• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carb throttle linkage

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Hello Triumph World,
I am a Healey guy, but hope that I can get some help here. The attached photo shows a throttle cable set up that I intend to replicate on my AH3000 BT7. I want to switch to a cable rather than the somewhat arcane mechanical linkage used on a big healey.

Is the part circled in red from a TR6? Anyone have a name, part number or even better, know where I can source the part? If not from a TR6 can anyone help identify the part?

Thanks for the help?

Lin Rose
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Tosh

Jedi Trainee
Lin,
Doesn't look like any linkage I've ever seen on a TR6. Doesn't look like any linkage I've ever seen on an MGB. Sorry!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Looks to me like something off a throttle body from a much more recent fuel-injected engine. Shoot, I just looked at my wife's 88 4Runner and there is a similar (not identical) part that could probably be fashioned to mount on the throttle shaft.

You might just go to the junkyard and start looking under hoods until you find a likely bit.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
We know it isn't a stock TR6 piece, because stock TR6s either used Strombergs or Lucas Petrol Injection (Euro-spec cars only.)

It does look more modern, but it's very possible that it came off a Datsun or something of the sort. It's been a while since I inspected the throttle linkage of a 240Z.

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Lin,

Could you not use the center piece off of a Spridget linkage as a connection point to the throttle cable?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
The pic is of a Midget, but unless the picture is mirrored, the carbs are on the right of the motor, indicating it to be the 1500 spitfire motor. BUT in a midget the 1500 never had twin SUs, so they must be from an earlier spitfire, or custom made. I can't find a setup like that in any of my catalogs.
edit content
Hayfever is right, that's a Datsun. Disregard my previous remarks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Lin,

I have no comment about the actual car but the part is a quadrant which keeps the cable truly in line with the anchored sleeve. However unless that picture shows full throttle (and the springs suggest not) it is fitted back to front.
Rather than use a straight link bar to the spindle which describes an arc so the cable does not keep a true line with the anchor, this is a better engineering solution to connect the linear cable movement to a rotational movement. Hard to explain but so easy to understand when you look at it working.

Alec

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
Hello Lin,

Recently I have been developing an upgrade from Mechanical linkage to Throttele Cable for the TR6. I have, with the assistance of a friend, come up with a working model and am now road testing it on my TR6. If you are interested email me and I'll send you some info that might work for your aplication.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I agree with the comments that it looks like something more modern. Possible from a modern throttle body. I have a very similar piece that operates the throttle body on my '93 GMC CPI Jimmy.

Alec,
I understand what you're describing, but I think this adaptation will not allow the cable to remain in line with the anchored sleeve. It looks like the cable is attached to the minor diameter of an elipse. As the cable pulls on the elipse it will rise in an eccentric path. It's a little hard to tell the true shape of the piece, and I'm basing this on the throttles being closed.
Having said that, I like the idea of adapting a modern actuator to the throttle shaft. As Alec said it is a clean way to transfer the motion. It eliminates play and should minimize wear on the connecting components. I may have to wander the junk yards to find something like this to play with.
One final comment, I think Revington or Cambridge sells an overhead throttle linkage for use with their header. I can't remember which company sells it. I've never seen one, itcould look like this.
This company sells one, but I can't get to the linkage link? Try viewing the Overhead Throttle Linkage Kit.
https://www.prestigeinjection.fsnet.co.uk/

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
I need to take a new picture. the ones I have are too big and will not download. I'll try to post one tomorrow.