• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Blast-n-dam...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Alfa clutch hydraulics (I think/hope) have just begun to let go. Went out to get gas and supplies but the thing wouldn't release rolling to a stop sign. Turned around and parked it beside the hovel... now need 'smits to push the pedal as I observe to see if it's hydraulic or the dreaded fork fracture. Former is a quick replace seals and bleed. Latter is a tranny removal.

argh... Old Cherokee saying: "A man without a horse is a foot."

:madder:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just stick a "For Sale" sign on the windshield, Doc...that'll solve all your Alfa problems.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Besides, you've got that nice MGB just waiting to do daily driver duty.
grin.gif

I've got my fingers crossed for you, Doc. Here's to hoping it's a simple fix.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, yesterday I had "work" so in-between loadin' Linux on a box and countin' bees I went thru my Alfa parts. Popped the piston out of the slave on the car and it looked great. Reassembled it and had a visiting pal push the pedal a few times. No leak at the slave but the fork arm would slowly retract... "Ah-HAH!!!" Master cylinder is pishin' past the seals!

In my left-handed collection of "stuff" was a M/C I'd cleaned up and thrown a rebuild kit into back in '00 when I did the engine (and replaced the M/C with a new unit)!! Managed to ~just~ R&R the M/C before the rains came.

Rain all last eve so this AM, Castrol LMA and Eezi-Bleed in-hand it was a leisurely coffee-sippin' exercise to blow the bubbles from the system.

We have clutching AND de-clutching. We are happy. :smile:
<span style="font-style: italic">

EDIT: My POW/MIA flag was hung outside th' hovel at sun-up, too. Fly 'em proud, kids. </span>

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
YAY!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Good one, Doc....but, can you drive an Alfa in the rain?

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Only after sending that POS M. Marelli dual-point dizzy down a rat hole and puttin' an old reliable Bosch one in its place. With th' Marelli, if the humidity is anything over 50% you should take a reliable LBC wherever you're goin' instead. :laugh:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
But, Doc, sorry to tell you: ALFA isn't an LBC!!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My point! If ya wanna get where you're goin' it'd be best to pick an old English car!!! :laugh:

As an aside, I've been phiddlin' with this hydraulic issue now for a couple days, mostly on my own. Had another set of legs yesterday for a few minutes and could only watch the clutch arm movement from above.

Well, today after getting all the things sealed and bled I took it for a short test drive to the Veteran's Park just around the block. All seem'd fine so I proclaimed it "done". Premature eval... went on a beer run later and it began to NOT disengage a few feet from the driveway on return. ARGH.

My brother showed up to say hi and celebrate Vet's Day so I put the thing up on a jack & stand and had him sit in to push the pedal while I observ'd from below. It turns out the FLEX HOSE had a small abraded hole in it! Didn't leak when I was bleeding it this AM (Eezi-Bleed didn't build system pressure, as I had the bleed screw open), no "track" of a leak. Once bro pumped it up a few times as a "sealed" system I saw the fluid. I've a new replacement hose in the parts collection so TOMORROW morning I get to wallow around in the dirt and swap THAT part out.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, you do know that Alfa's are fragile vehicles, don't you?

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Tony;
How did you fair in the weather that came your way?
It looked tough on the national news !!

I know .... way off topic.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Lots of rain, some wind nothing damaging....just rain & more rain.

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
sounds good..... national news made it sound like you guys were in bad shape.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
Well, you do know that Alfa's are fragile vehicles, don't you?

HUH?!?!? You gotta be kiddin'. This thing has run for the last nine years with ~ME~ as the driver, 100 mile per day commutes for the first five years, I changed the oil when I remembered to (not NEARLY often enuff) and I've had TWO issues. A fuel pump three years ago and now this bit of fuss. All I've done to it is abuse it. They're every bit as tough as an MGB. My only regret is it ain't a GTV.
Wanna see fragile? Look at a rock-stock Lotus Elan. :jester:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
An' I SEEN his Alfa! Wears her battle scars proudly, and sounds as it should.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In truth I expected it to scatter long ago. Now I'm in a circumstance necessitating it be repair'd.

Country flag
A-lways L-osing F-luids A-bruptly R-eally O-bscenely M-odified E-nglish O-tto? <poetic license on the last word there!! LOL> :laugh:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Noice, Pete... an' here I thought we wuz friends... :jester:

This saga goes ON, anon.

The shiny-new hose I found is NOT the right one. Smaller diameter fittings than original. I'm trapped in "work" now so can't get the old thing to a hydraulics shop 'til t'morrow.

:madder:

davelgee

Heh! Watch the outboard weld on the bellcrank that goes from the pedal to the MC, these "give up" on cars of the 75+ vintage.
Alfa drive trains are like Volvos, way under stressed, especially in their US guise, Marelli electrics on the other hand...

Cheers!
Dave G.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That weld and the infamous Fork Fulcrum Fracture were my first, heart-sinking thoughts as the clutch began to act up, Dave.
Many Alfas in my past and ALL of these things have been experienced one time or another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Alfa drive trains are like Volvos, way under stressed, especially in their US guise, Marelli electrics on the other hand...
[/QUOTE]

Ay-up. When I built this 1750 up to replace the Smokin' Leaker 2L lump, I re-curved a Bosch diz from a 1600 I had lyin' about. Much improved reliability.