• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Blast Cabinets

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
I'm re-doing some of the restoration of my 100m that I did 20+ years ago, mainly cleaning old grime and paint from suspension and engine parts and repainting plus freshening up of the interior, etc. Anyway, this time I want to use a blast cabinet to clean up the suspension and engine parts rather than wire brushes and paint remover. Twenty years ago there was maybe TIP, Harbor Freight (for cheap stuff) and maybe one or two from Eastwood to chose from. Now they're all over the place!! Even Ebay! Does anyone have any recommendations for a small table-top or free-standing cabinet? I don't want to spend a lot if I don't have to but also don't want the frustration of buying something with serious shortcomings. (The biggest piece I need to fit in would probably be on the order of a coil spring or front lower suspension arm. I have a good pressure sandblaster for anything bigger).

Thanks for your help.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Bill,
There is a current thread on blast cabinets going on in the tool forum that may be of help.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
:smile:Well Bill, you could always use a cardboard box with a hole cut in it and a sheet of clear plastic duct taped to hold in place. Believe me it works. If you want to reuse the sand just cut another hole in the bottom of the box.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Check out https://www.barrelblaster.com I have one and am very happy with it. I have it hooked up to a $40 shop vacuum and it works very well with glass or plastic. A compresssor with a good output and large storage tank is really necessary if you are planning to do minutes of blasting (as opposed to seconds of blasting).

Jon

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
I've got a Skat cabinet, and am happy with it. No cabinet is any better than the compressor supplying the air, so spend your money there first.

Richard Dickinson

Jedi Trainee
I bought a cheapie from Harbor Freight for about 100 bucks on sale. It works fine with a two harse compressor. The biggest things I blasted in it were The rear brake drums. A little slow and awkward, but it got-er-done. If you are going to do more than hobby or a one time restoration you might want to spend more.