• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Blast cabinets

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Ok, as I said last week, I have received my compressor (5 hp, 60 lb tank) and will have it installed in the next couple of days. What are your recommendations on a blast cabinet? I have about 48" width maximum, but would prefer closer to 40", depth and height not a problem. I assume dust collector and foot pedal are musts - any other features that I really need to be considering? Brands and/or vendors would be appreciated. This is for my personal use in my garage, so I am not talking about doing a car frame in this thing. More likely just bits that would not exceed 18-24", but your advice will be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Lin

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Lin,
Of course it is impossible to know if people have monitary constraints from their posts, but for me, cost was a factor just behind functionality. I looked at all kinds, and considered building my own. I ended up with a Barrel Blaster, you will find it if you do a search. My size criteria was that I had to be able to put a wheel in it. When I saw these, I got the guy who makes them to give me a customer name or two, spoke to them and was satisfied. I've had it for about 6 years and I still like it. I use a small shop vacuum for a dust collector and it works very well. I keep glass in it, but I've also used plastic, and for really nasty heavy stuff I've used sand. It doesn't have a foot pedal, but I don't miss it. Through my work I've used several diffeent industrial brands over the years, some good, some not so much. On a size basis this is as good as any, and way less expensive. One trick you might figure out quickly is to cover the viewing port with plastic wrap. You have to change it often, but it saves the glass or plastic and is also very iexpensive and quick to change.

Country flag
roscoe said:
I use a small shop vacuum for a dust collector and it works very well.

One trick you might figure out quickly is to cover the viewing port with plastic wrap. You have to change it often, but it saves the glass or plastic and is also very iexpensive and quick to change.

:iagree:

Dust can be a big problem, the vacuum should help considerably with that, but I'd suggest that you not site this anyplace where dust could create problems with painting or assembly work.

james, not only can "blast media" be hardful to local surroundings but id insist that anyone doing this type work use a mask and read the safety data sheet given with the media, having recently gone through this scenario i was astounded at how "un-human" friendly this stuff can be.

Country flag
I bought one from Northern Tool a few months ago; turns out it was blow-molded in Cleveland. https://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200103074_200103074

Some of my criteria, was that I could get a six-cylinder BMW head in it (allowing room to work) and I could get it down the basement steps (I've already maxed out the space in the garage...).

While not inexpensive at around $500.00 (including the $100.17 freight charges for cabinet and media), you can certainly spend a lot more.

I too am using a rather potent shop vac for dust collecting, and the plastic film to protect the lense from the abrasive.

So far, I have been very pleased with the quality and value, but I do plan to modify the screen-shelf to make it a little more rigid.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
You need to keep the moisture from your air compressor down or it causes clumps in the blast material and may clog the gun. I keep a 5 gal bucket of water next to the air compressor and let about 10 feet of flex hose sit in the water. I use a moisture collector after the bucket of water. This way the hot air and moisture hits the cold tube, condenses and is collected by the moisture collector. Many fewer clogs now.

I don't see how you can clean and paint old rusty parts with out one of these bead blasters. They make the metal look like new.

Jerry

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You can go to tptools.com and they have a good assortment of cabinets. Also they sell a complete kit, just the innerds, or a set of prints so you can build your own cabinet. I made my own 32 years ago but it is about worn out! Have a good day!

John

Randy_Myers

Freshman Member
Lin,

Budget has always been an issue for me and as a woodworker it only seemed logical for me to make one out of 3/4" ply. That was 15 years ago. I originally built it with a side loading door for long items and found that I made the opening too low leaving no room for media to accumulate, and it will. This year I modified it by changing the glass window into a hinged door and that was a great idea. Loading most pieces is easy and now its easy to clean off the inside of the glass when dust starts to obscure your vision. I also use a shop vac for dust control and it makes a huge difference, one that I notice immediately when I forget to turn it on before blasting. Be sure to put an intake hole somewhere to enhance the flow of air.

Randy