• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ 8 not charging !!

DavidThorn

Country flag
The car is a late (1967) BJ 8.

In the autumn I noticed the battery was going flat after about 4 days use. I checked the output from the dynamo as per the Haynes workshop manual,bridge the 2 terminals together etc and check the voltage. It seemed to be fine.

I noticed one dark night that the red ignition light was glowing all the time.This is not visible during daylight. The light comes on bright before the car is started but then glows faintly all the time.

During the early winter I removed the Lucas C42 dynamo and dismantled it. I fitted new brushes, the originals were about 2/3 worn. I generally cleaned it up and lightly sanded the contacts that the brushes touch. I then cleaned everyting with petrol and have just installed it back in he car.

Unfortunately no change!! The ignition comes on bright,but when the engine is running (and revving) it still glows,visible only in the dark.

So what next?

I suppose I could get it refurbished or buy an alternator.

However a couple of thoughts, could it be that the brushes need bedding in by use before they make good contact?

I have not driven the car only let it run for a few minuets in the garage. There is too much salt on the roads here to take it out now.

Also could the fault not be with the dynamo at all but perhaps the regulator?

I went to take the cover off but it seems to be fitted with anti tamper plastic plugs. Does this mean its not been opened since new.
Could the symptoms I describe be caused by a stuck regulator.

If so how do I get the plastic plugs out and what do I replace them with?

I await any suggestions !!!

David Thorn

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have never messed with the BJ8 regulator, I happen to have a BJ7. The BJ7 regulator is shaped alittle different than the BJ8 so I can't help with the plastic plugs. But your symtoms are not unusual. You did the correct test for the generator and it showed that the generator is capable of charging but the charging voltage is not coming up when the generator is connected to the system. That leaves the voltage regulator unless you have altered your original Healey circuitry. Since you have a Manual of some kind, you will find that there is a test to check if the regulator is working properly. You should follow that proceedure. let me note that during the test it is directed that you take care about the about of time you spend doing the test. And the rpms that you work with. Follow these guidelines to the best of your ability as these parameters affect the results of the test. It is not that hard, just use patience. Having said all of this, many, many times the regulator can be improved upon by just running some fine sandpaper thru the contact points. Use something like 600 to 800 grit paper. Good Luck.

Country flag
I just took my generator apart to replace brushes and bearings, and found the field coil insulation rotting due to oil saturation (I have been dutifully putting oil in the 'OIL' hole, but there was no felt to absorb it). Anyway, I threw in the towel and sent it off to Star Auto Electric (starautoelectric.com) to be rebuilt. The owner of Star, Mike Martinez, advised me that the aftermarket VRs--one of which I have in my BJ8--are NFG, basically, being manufactured in Taiwan and may even be for tractors. He convinced me to buy one of the ones he sources from England:

https://starautoelectric.com/ProductCatalog.php?view=productPage&product=116&category=8

DISCLAIMER: I've not done business with Star before, but have heard nothing but positive things about them. Mike seemed to be genuinely concerned that a generator rebuild deserves a solid VR. His offering is only a little bit more expensive than the ones offered by the 'usual suspects,' and as I've had VR problems before--note overcharging can spill acid and make a mess out of the boot--and often drive far from any help I decided to spring for it.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I want to take the cover offIf so how do I get the plastic plugs out and what do I replace them with?

David:
Just punch them out,

Then,to reinstall the cover:

1] tap the VR.s base plate to take about an 8X32 short phillips head screw.
OR
2] Epoxy,JB weld or super glue a threaded nut to the back side of the VR,s base plate, when dry add the noted screw'

You now have the capability to remove the cover insitu.

Most of the time when the VR acts up the contacts become fouled.
They must be cleaned with Wet or Dry sand paper and blown out with air

Last edited:
OP
D

DavidThorn

Country flag
Thanks for your help. Its sorted !!

Carefully drilled the heads off the plastic plugs holding the regulator box cover on (will think about how to put cover back on later)

Cleaned the contacts with wet and dry and then blew clean with an airline. It now all works charging light has gone off and it seems to be charging normally

I must admit that I spent some time cleaning the contacts at the top of the regulator box until I realised that these were the adjusting fingers and not the actual contacts.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
David, I had similar symptoms with my BJ8 as I was arriving back in my hometown after a 350-mile run (in 1995). The ignition light began to glow. No idea if there was a relation, but the next day I note in my logbook that I replaced my right side headlamp bulb (low beam burned out) and the right side parking light bulb (filament burned out). I disassembled and inspected the generator with no issues found and the light remained on. After I cleaned the current and voltage contacts inside the voltage regulator the problem was solved and has not recurred since. I now have an alternator and the regulator box is used only as a junction box for the wiring, but the cover is attached with two slotted pan-head screws, no plastic plugs. I have no recollection of any plastic plugs.