• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

battery to trunk

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
hammer.gif
I'm with you!! Call 'em like you see 'em!! If you can't it's kind of like lying!! Some people like me, some people don't, but I always call 'em like I see 'em!!

G

Aw come on now Chuck, I like Gary. Sometimes a bit opinionated, but I like a person who is not afraid to say what needs to be said. But then again, I cannot remember anyone that I have met on MG BBS that I did not like, except that one know it all kid on the other BBS a year or so ago. Remember him, Gary?
patriot.gif

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
Oh yah Gerry!! Very well, he was from somewhere in B.C. and a little , shall we say, not too bright!!
blush.gif
He kept e-mailing me for a while, but I drew the line when he was totally rude to Tom!!
shocked.gif

Tom

I'm with the otheres on this, a cut off switch inside the car. Preferably somewhere and of a type that can't be accidentally hit, someone I used to know had a push button type cutoff in corner in front of the parcel shelf (that the batteries are under) occasionally the car cutout after heavy braking when something on the shelf slid of onto the switch (not a problem with most modern switches).

Also if you want to thief proof the batteries I've seen a mod on a couple of cars in the UK where they have boxed in the battery frames with welded sheet steel panels and louvered on the sides to vent the hydrogen that the batteries give off.

I have also seen at least one car where they have moved the battery into the engine bay in front of the heater and one one (pre 1974 car) where it was put in a frame in front of the rad.

If leaving them where they are then use maintenece free batteries (which is of course a given).

For the record in my 68 MGC I run two 12 volt batteries in paralell to give the starter a bit more amperage, cheaper than two 6 volts and takes up the same amount of space. not a problem in a B
but the 6 need a bit more juice to kick it over, particularly when it has just had an engine rebuild.

regards

Tom

A

aerog

Another comment about the switch I mentioned that Tom's comment brought to mind. The cutoff switch I mentioned is not of the same type that is required for race use (the big red twist-handle type), and can't be bumped "off". These switches are a small knob that mounts on the battery terminal, to switch on/off you screw the knob in or out.

mowog

Jedi Hopeful
I have had one of those keyed switches for 3 years just havent got around to installing it that reminds me about several little odds and ends that I need to install will likely take a couple of weeks to get tham all done and dont want to take the car off the road for that long I must be the king of procrastinators
troll.gif

G

In my eyes, the ideal location for a cut off switch is the rear bulkhead just behind the passenger seat. It can be reached quickly by the driver should the need arise. The battery mounted switches are no good because of the trouble and time it takes to get to them on our cars. The switches with the red key would allow you to remove the key and carry it in your pocket when you leave your car. A second wire bypassing the switch feeding a fuse to your radio would keep it memory alive. Some have sugested a fused bypass around the switch to do the same, but if someone turned the key to the start position, the fuse would blow and you would have to replace it before you could drive off. This could get to be a pita