• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Master Battery Trunk Switch

Wausau 911

Can someone explain correct wiring for this switch. Had the switch a long time but never connected it up - BJ7 car. Thx for replies.

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
(Folllowing is for pos. ground). Cable from positive terminal of the battery goes to one of the big terminals of the switch. Cable to ground to the other big terminal on the switch. Small white w/black stripe wire (which goes to the coil and shorts it out when the battery switch is "OFF") goes to the small terminal.

OP
W

Wausau 911

Bill, thx, but as I am electrically challenged, let me comfirm wiring. So in addition to the master cables, I run additional wires to the switch terminals and then a long wire upward of car to a coil terminal, + or - one?
thank you for your help in this regard.
Eric

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
The one wire to the coil (it should be in the harness in the vicinity of the switch) goes from the small terminal on the switch to the "CB" terminal on the coil. This terminal should already (well, that is if the car runs!) have on it a white/black wire that goes to the distributor. Don't put it on the terminal labeled "SW" which should have two white wires on it; one going to the fuse block and one going to the ignition switch. By the way - "CB"=contact breaker (in the distributor) and "SW"= (ignition) switch.

To be frank, I don't know if CB/SW=+/- or vice-versa. Just connect it like I said.

One caution - I had my battery switch fail once and the failure mode was that the coil terminal was shorted to ground. So you may want to test the switch first. When it's "ON" that terminal should not be connected to either of the other (big) terminals. When "OFF", it will be connected to ground.

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
You also might want to confirm that the switch is in good order. I tried to refit mine and it just caused problems. The contacts seemed to be less than pristine and caused (i think) resistance issues = failure to proceed.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have recently fitted one of these ( obtained from Ebay) last year and have just found out that there are several positions for the knob to be, giving different results, one position will kill all the electrics, another will kill just the lead to the dizzy and another will give you all electrics back again, there may be a 4 situation but I was not examining the switch, I was trying to start the ****** car.

:cheers:

Bob

Country flag
I have recently fitted one of these ( obtained from Ebay) last year and have just found out that there are several positions for the knob to be, giving different results, one position will kill all the electrics, another will kill just the lead to the dizzy and another will give you all electrics back again, there may be a 4 situation but I was not examining the switch, I was trying to start the ****** car.

:cheers:

Bob

Hmmmm ... all the switches I've seen have 2 positions: 'OFF' and otherwise. OFF opens the battery circuit to ground and grounds the coil (no spark). The other position--'ON' presumably (don't recall if it's labeled or not)--closes the battery's ground circuit and opens the circuit to the coil so you'll get spark.