• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Battery Tray - yes or no?

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hi all,

Happy Friday!

After last week's discussion on Tonneaus and Covers, I have another financial question: Should I get a plastic battery tray for my TR4A? They are decently expensive, north of $60.

Do modern batteries leak?

Some folks suggest getting an Optima AGM battery and not worry about acid leaks. I took the "cheap" route and got a type 27 battery from Costco, good old fashioned lead acid. (Ultimately, a Costco battery plus the tray may cost as much as the Optima... penny wise / pound foolish, perhaps.)

Thoughts? Worthwhile insurance?

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think I would. Not necessarily for concern about leaks but it would provide some measure of protection for the paint on the battery shelf if the battery was to make small movements over bumps and vibrations…but I’m pretty anal about stuff like that…!

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I think I would. Not necessarily for concern about leaks but it would provide some measure of protection for the paint on the battery shelf if the battery was to make small movements over bumps and vibrations…but I’m pretty anal about stuff like that…!
I use a battery tray on all 3 of my TRs. I just refurbished the fire wall of one TR4. The shelf was in good condition. I will reuse the tray. Additionally I use the rubber buffer pieces. 2 pieces under the plastic tray and 2 pieces directly under the battery. I also have found a mat that absorbs battery acid that lines the inside bottom of the plastic tray.
And I have not had any battery leak. But occasionally I might get crud from around the terminals.
Charley

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
And CJD has pointed out that if you run the battery with the fluid just above the plates you will not get the boil over that gets on the box. I use a plastic WaLMart box/tray that is cut to the profile of the box in the car.
Bob

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks all! Sound unanimous; I’ll get a tray and a mat. There are less expensive versions vs what TRF/Moss/etc sell. I will do some research.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Get an Optima battery and eliminate the whole problem, they don't leak acid! I know their ugly, but you can get a fake cover that'll make it look like a tar top. PJ

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Get an Optima battery and eliminate the whole problem, they don't leak acid! I know they’re ugly, but you can get a fake cover that'll make it look like a tar top. PJ
I should have!! The frugal guy in me says I’ll stick with the Costco one for now then upgrade when needed.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hey Popeye how does the water get out of the stock tr4 battery tray? I have no added trays in my cars, but they are tr3s and I use a Costco Battery. I keep an eye on things and make sure the water from the rain is getting out. I paint the stock tray plus use those rubber strips on the bottom of the battery like the manual suggests.

steve

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I bought an optima once. With all the hype about vibrtation and long term use, died in three yrs, and found the AGM was 3 lbs lighter.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Popeye how does the water get out of the stock tr4 battery tray? I have no added trays in my cars, but they are tr3s and I use a Costco Battery. I keep an eye on things and make sure the water from the rain is getting out. I paint the stock tray plus use those rubber strips on the bottom of the battery like the manual suggests.

steve
Hi Steve,

Alologies for not replying sooner! The TR4A battery tray should not get wet. There is no water drain in the battery box. I’m not familiar enough with the TR3 setup - does rain water get to the battery?

Mike

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The TR3 has an indentation (down) in the firewall shelf for the battery along with a drain tube. Pretty hard to get any rain water into the battery box, if the hood is down. But you might get some water in there if one were to spray down the engine compartment or have the hood up while it is raining. I have not had a water problem with any of the 3 TR3's that I have had. But I have seen a bunch of corrosion on the battery floor of both the TR3's and TR4's caused by battery acid. And I replaced the battery tray on 2 of the 3 TR3s. So I use a tray just to prevent any further problems.
Charley