• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Battery CCA/CA and Group Size TR3A

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi guys,

Did a quick search but couldn't find what I was looking for. Looking for recommendations for Cold Cranking Amps/Cranking Amps and Battery Group Size for a 1960 TR3A.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
This link shows a G24L or G27L. I would assume that means group 24 and 27. Maybe the "L" indicates where the pos & neg posts are. Both will fit, the G27L being physically larger, but it will fit in the TR3 box. CCA is listed, but I don't know how that compares to original specs, as they didn't use CCA back then. The batteries were rated at Ampere-hour capacity.

I went for the gusto and plopped in an Optima Red Top with 800 CCA. :smile:

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
In 2003 on the way to TRA in Auburn Indiana, I picked up my third "LUCAS" battery from the Antique Battery Co in Hudson Ohio. I had pre-arranged that it be full of acid and fully charged. All 3 were Group 27 batteries where I specified that the tar top should be their newer polyvinyl something and that the lead cell connectors be visible. Also I wanted the positive post to be at the rear right hand side as you look at the battery - for positive ground.

I got 5 years from each of the first two batteries and am now in my 7th year with this latest one. My records indicate that I have driven 32,000 miles on this latest battery and it always starts in the first millisecond as I push the starter button.

Attachments

• 21616.jpg
    21616.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 237

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Amp-hours compares more to RC (reserve capacity) in modern terms than CCA. CCA (Cold Crank Amps) is really only relevant at very cold temperatures, and I would guess that most people don't really care any more if their TR3 will start at 0F.

Original spec was 57 AH (meaning the battery would deliver 2.85 amps for 20 hours without going below 10.8 volts), which roughly compares to 80 minutes RC. Since modern batteries have lower internal resistance for the same capacity, I don't think you could go far wrong picking something with at least 80 minutes RC.

I'm running the cheapest top post battery that Wally Mart had, since it never really gets cold out here. But if I were going to drive in winter again, especially with the puny original generator, I would want the highest RC (and CCA) I could find that would physically fit in the box.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I cannot remember if this thing will be a warm season only car. If it is as Randall says, not important.
I went with this in my Wedge. Not a lot

DSCF6176.jpg

B2618
18lbs/8.2kg
1164 Pulse Cranking Amps
26 Amp/Hr Reserve
8.1” x 3.5” x 6.3"
Right Side Positive
MSRP $208.00

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks guys...battery is not for me (I am pretty far from that stage although I wish that I was closer). It is for a fellow TR3 owner who emailed me.

Cheers,
David

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No worries, Don't matter who it is. We're here to help