• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Back to org. points

Louis 52MGTD

Country flag
My 1952 MGTD has electronic points in it, I would like to go back with org. points. is all I need the points and condenser ? what all do I need to order ? Thanks for any advice. Louis

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
You will usually need the base plate for points also. There were a couple of electronic setups that used the original base plate, but I haven't heard of them in years. PJ

Erica

Country flag
25D4 side.jpg
When I bought my '77 it had a (working) Opus unit. I understand points. And people convinced me that I was tempting fate. Jeff at Advanced Distributors in Shakopee MN rebuilt an old 25D4 unit I found on ePay. It's a wonderful unit, and best of all a museum paid me enough money for that rare operating Opus unit that I could buy my '79*.
25D4 top.jpg

*This statement has not been verified... By anyone.... Anywhere... No sane person assumes any responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this claim. The information contained within this claim is provided with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness. In fact we highly suspect it was fabricated full cloth... Pay anyone actual money for an Opus... Who has ever heard of such a thing?

Russ V

Freshman Member
Country flag
From experience, any time that your distributor has major problems DEFINITELY send it to Jeff at Advanced Distributors in Shakopee, MN. The bushings in mine were SHOT. Setting the point gap was impossible..... the wobbling of the shaft meant that there was NO setting of the points.... an exercise in futility. When I got it back from Jeff, it was PERFECT.... like a NEW distributor at MUCH LESS than buying a new one. Jeff is an ARTIST when it comes to distributors!!!!!!!! He even told me the exact BTDC setting when idling for my particular distributor (because he puts it on a test bed to analyze). He also corrected my advancing" issue (the weights were shot).
If there are ANY issues with your distributor, send it to Jeff and he will also set up the points/condenser, etc for you at the same time!!!!!!!
WORTH EVERY PENNY! And won't have to do0 it again for another 50,000 miles!!!
As far as changing from electronic to points..... I had to do that also (before the distributor repair the electronic points made the gap issue non-existant) but my electronic set up died a few times so I went back to point. Points is the classic way to go. Parts are easy to get on Moss.