• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

An education on how Fedex does business - a little off topic

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This is only a little off topic, but will be an education for you.

Back on October 18th, I ordered approximately $3000 worth of Morris Minor parts from the UK. Because of some shipping policy changes on the part of the supplier I have bought from for years, I found the alternate shipper I was forced to use very unsatisfactory. I was offered the option of using an alternate export service, which I found demonstrated excellent communication and customer service. Unknown to me at the time, was that they used FedEx as their carrier. I haven't always found FedEx to be the most conscientious, but recently started experiencing more and more little problems with them. Only a week or two before, the driver delivered a package to the wrong address only a block away, but was never recovered (the person denied ever receiving it). One thing I learned in the process, it that delivery drivers are not FedEx employees. A local company contracts with FedEx and hires their own employees to drive the trucks. In my experience, they don't have the quality employees that UPS has, and obviously aren't paid or treated as well.

As I said, I didn't know this exporter was using them until the tracking number arrived.

I was informed the shipment would arrive in 3 days, about half to 1/3rd the time I normally experience. That was great news (so I thought) Well, on the 3rd day, the shipment arrived. The only problem was, only 3 of the 4 parcels arrived, and 2 of those 3 parcels had serious damage to the cartons. One of the cartons contained a set of 4 brand new steel wheels. All were finish painted, which now had some chips, but one of them was badly dented at the rim. No small task to dent that heavy steel.

It took several days to locate the missing carton (which contained $2000 worth of small parts). The missing box turned up in their "lost and found" department in Memphis, and was confirmed to be the missing package item via photographs taken of the open carton and enclosed invoice. Apparently, they opened it to confirm the contents and then (I was told) a manager personally walked it over to their "repackaging department" to be resealed and sent next day air express to me. In a word, it never arrived because they lost it yet a second time. To this day, it has never been delivered, nor has any scan/tracking information ever been updated since it's arrival in Memphis.

Needless to say, I filled out the necessary claim forms, and a claim was filed by the sender in the UK. I was told it would take a week to 10 days to complete the claim process. Initially, the damage claim was dismissed by FedEx, blaming the box for the damage. Even though this is the manufacturer's original carton for the wheels (not repackaged), and not withstanding that the box would have had to have been dropped from a significant height of at least 3 to 5 feet to dent the heavy gauge steel. Furthermore, they invalidate my claim because the wheels were photographed in the boot of an SUV and state that the wheels were "transported from their original location where the driver delivered them, and they must not be moved before bing inspected". FedEx has never requested or made an attempt to inform this fact nor did they make any attempt to personally inspect the packaging. They were placed there only to be better photographed. Seems they will look for any excuse to avoid payment.

As to the missing package, there can be little dispute that it has been lost (twice), and they have even been provided an invoice by the original seller as to the missing contents. Yet, week after week has gone by without any resolution. Each week, a different excuse has been made as to why the claim has not been paid. Now another week has gone by without an answer. My inquiry today reveals that the person handling the claim is out of the office all week and will not return until the 16th of December. And so I must wait yet another week.

I thought you all should know how much FedEx cares about their customers, and the priority they give to such matters. I guess they feel I have nothing to do but sit around and wait until they are good and ready to to make good on the insurance I paid (or to come up with an excuse why they will not). Never mind all the aggravation and lost time and opportunity to get some work done. For those of you who think it's just the "little guy" they neglect, keep in mind that the shipper filing the claim is an export company, a business, not an individual.

Hopefully, I'll be compensated eventually, not that I'll ever be made whole for the upwards of 40 hours i've invested in filing out forms, and answering countless requests for more information and photographs, not to mention the time I've lost to get any work done. But neither the shipper or I will use FedEx in the future. I hope for some of you, something will be gained from my experience and avoid doing business with them as well. It may give you pause next time you consider buying that extra insurance too. They obviously don't give a **** about their customers.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
With FedEx, I've always told them to hold the shipment at their area warehouse, and I just pick it up there. Never had a problem.

Once burned, twice shy!

Tom

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
With FedEx, I've always told them to hold the shipment at their area warehouse, and I just pick it up there. Never had a problem.

Once burned, twice shy!

Tom

I live in San Francisco. Asking them to "hold it in Memphis" for me would hardly have helped.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well, FedEx has distribution centers all around the USA. That's where they hold the shipments for the local drivers to pick up. For me, it's in Windsor Locks CT - about 30 miles away. There are several centers around San Francisco; you have the shipment delivered and held at the center, and pick it up when convenient for you.

https://maps.google.com/maps?num=20...o,+CA&ei=QveqUtSiKMv9rAfCzICQDQ&ved=0CKwCELYD

View attachment 30541

I realize that, but you are missing the point… there is no record of it EVER departing the Memphis hub!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
What a headache. I wish there were a way to specify a preferred carrier, but so many retailers don't give you a choice. Even here, we deal with items "shipped by UPS" - but UPS contracts with the Post Office, and mail carriers actually do the delivery. And vice versa. It usually pays to insure the shipment - I'm the prime example of "once burned twice shy".

Hang in there.
Tom

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Just read this on the Yahoo group as well. Frustrating! In my experience lately, customer service is a real issue.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
First, let me say that I've used FedEx for a very long time and my delivery guys are top notch and work for FedEx. I've also had very good service from UPS and USPS. That said, when they do screw up FedEx can be the most frustrating company to deal with and they act like they are a government entity.
i salmon fish in Alaska and about 12 years ago shipped 3 40lb boxes of flash frozen salmon overnight from Juneau to Tuscaloosa, AL. All went well until the fish reached the Memphis hub where it was kept for 2 days with no provision to keep it frozen or cool and it was delivered a day later for a total travel time of 4 days without refrigeration. You can imagine what it smelled like when it got here and I can assure you that the shipping was not cheap. There was no resolution and FedEx acted like it was my fault and should have known better that to ship frozen fish! The fish was professionally packed in insulated boxes with 'frozen fish' on the box and the paperwork filled out correctly. Never do that again!
Rut

Hot Wings

The Yahoo group?

2 of them.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bugeye/info

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BugeyeSprites/info

As for getting satisfaction from these big companies, there is a trend gaining popularity to use small claims court. Even if a representative of the company shows up in cases like described the plaintiff is likely to get a favorable judgement. If collection with the judgment in hand is still problematic then a lien can be filed on the company property in your jurisdiction. Of course this option varies by state.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sorry to hear your story Gerard. I can't remember the last time I received a Fedex shipment and now I'm glad of it. Just abut everything I receive is either UPS or USPS and often a combination of both. It's a little cheaper for UPS to contract USPS for final delivery of small packages and so far it has been good for me.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, Shipping is a little more complicated than that. Both Fedx and ups have many different services. First, fedex express and fedex ground are totally different. The "express" people are fedex employees. They are the ones carrying the "overnite" and 2 or 3 day things. The ground people are independants that own "routes" and are paid by the package. They also own the trucks. Fedex has a service called smart post that the usps does the final delivery. That is the cheapest way for "small" packages. UPS uses the same drivers for "next day" and ground. They also have a service that uses the Usps for final delivery in "some" areas. Many times you should be able to request whatever service you want from most venders but the least costly is often with the usps doing the final delivery. UPS drivers are also "Union" and Fedx ground are not if thats important to you. Also fedex ground does deliver on Sat. (not Monday) Ups ground does not deliver on Sat (unless you pat extra) but delivers on mon.

RickB

Yoda
i salmon fish in Alaska and about 12 years ago shipped 3 40lb boxes of flash frozen salmon overnight from Juneau to Tuscaloosa, AL.
Rut

Hey Rut, I've been going to SE Alaska every summer for a while and bringing home 50 pound boxes of frozen Salmon and Halibut fillets.
Fortunately for me I travel between Seattle and Ketchikan so the fish are still frozen when I get home where it goes immediately into the deep freeze.
After having done it for a while I'm sure the rule of "stay with your fish" is the best policy, I wouldn't trust it to any shipper.
Now with fresh Halibut prices of around $20 per pound (or more) it would be devastating to lose a box full (or several).

(Sorry for the thread hijack - still slightly about shippers and shipping though)

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rick, I normally put the fish on the plane, but we were returning in Sept, 2001 and things were a little 'tight' to say the least. In fact I flew out of Birmingham, AL the Thursday morning after 911 and returned via Delta thru SeaTac. Was a strange experience since I had a pistol with me to help in case of a bad bear situation in the back country, but Delta and Alaska Air were both cool...not so much with Wings.
Rut

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Rick, I normally put the fish on the plane, ...., but Delta and Alaska Air were both cool....
Rut

Obviously. ;) keeps the fish longer

RickB

Yoda
JP = stinker! :jester:

Rut - I hadn't done the math, that would have been a not fun time to travel by air across the country.

G

I worked for UPS during Christmas 20+ years ago. I saw lots of things destroyed, boxes falling out while the truck was backing up to the dock and get crushed b/w the two. Seen stuff drop-kicked down the line; all manner of undesirable things. UPS has been golden w/ me on damaged stuff. My Strat showed up with a little damage and they refunded me completely AND I got to keep it.

Sorry to hear you're getting the run around, I know how frustrating that can be.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I don't feel UPS is any better. A few years ago I got an Austin Healey 100 tranny shipped to me. Parts for these are almost all NLS and I needed it to repair or replace mine. The casing cracked in shipping. I reported and let them know I wanted them to assess the damage and I wanted to be there when they did.

Unfortunately, they came early and my wife let them take it. I called that day and they assured me I would get it back. Double checked, yeah no problem you will get it back. I had taken the week off to work on the car. I call the next day and it is on its way back to the seller. I made it very clear from the start I just wanted an insurance claim and still needed the part. At first this was no problem but then they shipped it back anyway. I raised holy **** and they just didn't care. Seller said it got back to him looking like it got beat with a sledgehammer and they denied the insurance claim.

Seller refunded my money anyway or I would have sued UPS, but since he made me whole would be much harder to prove damages. But because of their screw up I had my tranny rebuilt at 4 times the cost of the described as good used I bought, plus wasted much of my week off.

I still accept UPS shipments, but have not paid them a dime to ship anything in the ten years since, and never will.

G

I had to fight to keep it as I wanted it repaired, not replaced or refunded. It took about a month to get straight. It never would have happened if the guy from guitar center wouldn't have been in my corner and up their amps. GC is the bomb on customer service and have great used gear prices w/ a 30 day no question return policy.

Glen Byrns

Freshman Member
Gerard, if you order from ESM, they use TNT for overseas shipments. I've received Moggie parts in as little as 72 hrs. Keep each chunk under 2K$ and avoid duty hassles. They have everything Bull Motif has with better shipping.