• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Aeroscreen Reproduction Project

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Some time ago, in 2003 I believe, a TR enthusiast in the UK attempted to have Triumph Aeroscreens reproduced. He was working from an original pair that he owned. Apparently he ran into some difficulties regarding the safety glass. To my knowledge, he never completed the project. As I plan to retire soon, I am willing to take on this challenge and, with a little bit of luck and help from some of you, may succeed.

The purpose of this post is threefold, first to say that I am interested in having authentic Triumph aeroscreens reproduced, second to get a feel for the level of interest amongst our sidescreen TR ownership and third to locate an original aeroscreen from which to prepare engineering drawings and specifications.

So, please let me know if you might be interested in contributing to this effort in some way, and if you know of the whereabouts of an original aeroscreen.

Many thanks,

Frank Angelini
Downingtown, PA
TR3A TS58476LO (under restoration)
TR250 CD1510LO

Attachments

• 271606-AeroscreenS-T.jpg
    271606-AeroscreenS-T.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 464
G

Aren't these already available from Moss? The Brooklands windscreen, for about $135.

Bill

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
One closer inspection the one that Frank has pictured mounts flat on the car and the Moss repo is raised somewhat.

I like Frank's version better, but the Moss unit would probably be a great place to start.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
The current windscreens are reporductions of the originals, but are not Triumph specific. they have "generic" mounting brackets.
The TR2s and early TR3s had holes in the cowel from the factory specifically for the aeroscreens. they came with chrome bolts in them so they looked nice till you mounted the screens.. The next time you're at a car show, look at the early sidescreen cars, and you'll see the 4 chrome acorn bolts just behind the windscreen.
I'd be intrested in a set of triumph specific screens, but I would imagine that they would be pretty cost prohibitive on my budget.
How about looking into making Triumph brackets for the Moss aeroscreens? or are they the wrong width?. I know they're shorter, but that may work anyway. I dunno.

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Yes. Absolutely correct. The photo was 'donated' by one of our forum members, but I don't know the source. The mounting is different as stated, and the idea of making a base to fit the after-market product has a lot of merit. I guess at this moment I'm motivated to do a proper repro if possible. As I stated previously, the first step is to find an original example.

fja

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Shannon: Are you a member of TCOC? I was one of the 3 or 4 founding members back in the 8early 80's. Still have my membership card with number 0003.

fja

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Modern "reverse engineering" is a wonderful thing.

Recently there was a pair of these screens on the US-ebay site...they DO bring some serious $$$.

Put me down for a set or two....as long as they are a better fit than the off-shore repro's now available.

Good luck!

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
Now thats got me thinkin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif!whats the opinions?Using two of these Brooklands screens mounted just at the rear of the drivers & passengers seats to act as a deflector for top down driving in a Spitfire or other TR.Their is a manufacture in the UK that makes a full width plexiglass deflector for the rear boot area to reduce the wind turbulance.If two of THESE BROOKLANDS SCREENS were mounted they would be suitable for whom ever is in the car & collapsable for when the top IS UP.Are their any opinions out their.This is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif ALL ABOUT IMAGINEERING.If it works it would not only increase the value of the car BUT be a VERY PRACTICAL IDEA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif.$270.00 for two windscreens? Angel may have struck something here a duel use product??

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The nice thing about the original Standard - Triumph aeroscreens is the rubber strip along the bottom. With the Brooklands, the wind and the rain comes in through that opening and you get wind-blown and all wet - as if there were no aeroscreens there. Also you have to remove the Brooklands to re-install the full windscreen. I was led to believe that with the original S-T design, the support brackets secure the aeroscreens so the you can drive with both the windscreen and the aeroscreens mounted at the same time. If you remove the windscreen, you can run with just the aeroscreens which are already there.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Frank,

Yes I am a member of TCOC. I try to hit as many events/meetings as I can but with two young kids, free time is hard to find nowadays. I'm breaking the 5 year old in nicely, but he still has a rough time with those all day shows.

As for the screen, I doubt that I'd like this option for my existing TR, but I've got a few ideas for a Group 44ish resto mod that something like that would look pretty boss.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gents,
Modified Brooklands with the TR3 rubber normally used under the regular windshield. You only need remove the BKLNDS glass etc. via two set screws to remount the normal windscreen as the fixed mounts do not interfere with anything.

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
I came across a photo of an aero screen in a French TR website. See attached. Now, if you will, please compare it to the photo that I had originally posted. There are distinct differences. The one in France has a different shape and appears to be made from alloy in a dull finish. You can barely make out the words "aero screen" The one I posted, which I was told by the source was original, has a brite finish and slightly different shape. Can't tell if there are any words stamped in the frame. It also has a rubber seal fitted to go between the scuttle and the bottom of the screen. Does anyone have an opinion as to which one apprears to be correct? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 289041-opt_aeroscreen.jpeg
    289041-opt_aeroscreen.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 174

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There are many pics of the original screens in "Triumph by Name Triumph by Nature" and they appear to be different than the present Brooklands in quite a few details. The screens mount closer to the scuttle and the lower horizontal piece is much longer. The most obvious difference is the glass is deeper/higher and more angular (squared) at the corners.
I've taken a pair of brooklands and added rubber extensions buy purchasing aluminum 1/2 in. bar stock at Ace Hdwr and using fine screws attaching it to the lower bar of the brooklands sandwiching the rubber in between. It looks stock and if removed would be unoticable (keep the screws in place) and does the job of eliminating under drafts. I can wear a baseball cap at 70-80 mph.
I'd still be interested in exact copies of the original but I suspect that would cost an arm/leg.
Revington of Blighty was going to remake them but gave up as being cost prohibitive for the volume expected.
I believe I have a pic of mine in the 'thru the windshield' and 'did you drive today' threads.

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Gee, how could I have missed your photo. Must have had another senior moment! Very nice and similar to the originals. My interest in this project is not financial gain, but more like a little project with the challenge, etc. After 38 years in electrical engineering projects of $10M and up, it's time for something smaller. The trend now is reverse engineering, with today's desktop 3-D scanning equipment and with a good original as a "template", a very authentic reproduction can be produced. Costs would be higher, but not crazy. My search for a temporary doner continues. Thanks for your input.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I would be interested in better/original style aeroscreens.

Currently I have the usual one available from Moss, et al. The brackets do stay in place when the big windscreen in on.

brooklands2.JPG

To make the screen sit close to level I built up a little 'shoe' to fit under the righthand bracket. Made of wood and painted flat black - looks a bit better that way I think.

brooklands1.JPG

Yes, I have driven in the rain with the aeroscreen, I suppose some water came under the lower edge (no rubber seal) but hardly noticeable... since I was pretty much soaked anyway.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I can't imagine you'd stay dry in the rain with a little rubber seal, that would be the definition of optimism, but it does make quite a noticable dif with wind deflection. It looks more 'finished' to me. I may cut some metal fitting strips, paint them the body color and put a small rubber edge on just for fun as that would sandwich in there as well as the rubber.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That green TR with the aero screens is using reproductions too. I've seen the originals and they look much dif than the brookland models. That aero screen is a brookland with an appropriate moniker.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
I did something similar a few years ago, I made what I call my speedster windshield. I cut and tapered an original TR3 windshield about 4 inches, the stanchions to match, rechromed it.No top frame, looked like a little Maserati barchetta. I am finishing up a MGB windshield speedster look right now,cut about the same off.Polished the alloy frame.This one is tinted. When done I will try to post a photo, ya sure.