• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Luca P700 reproduction installation

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I needed a little bit more light for driving and decided to get some reproduction Lucas P700 headlights with halogen bulbs. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but I bought these from a company in Great Britain. Besides the halogen, in the bottom of the light is a small bulb with black and red wires coming out of it. Does anyone know what the purpose of this bulb is and how to hook it up? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 58

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Kevin I am miles from my cat but a couple of thoughts.

1. They are signal lights- increasingly in hot rods they are combined to make the front end sleek.

2. More likely they are parking lights- in Europe and possibly the UK they are a dim light left
on when Street parking to let drivers know you are there

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
#2 is correct. These additional bulbs were commonly used on Minis and doubtless many others. This type of headlamp (P700) was usually found on more upscale vehicles like the Jaguar XK120/140/150.

Kevin I am miles from my cat but a couple of thoughts.

1. They are signal lights- increasingly in hot rods they are combined to make the front end sleek.

2. More likely they are parking lights- in Europe and possibly the UK they are a dim light left
on when Street parking to let drivers know you are there

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Kevin,
Lots of hot rodders, etc. use them for DRLs with brighter bulbs. I’ve got a set and I’m undecided about my use or in which car.
Rut

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A word of caution, unless these lights were designed for the American market the headlight pattern MAY only be correct for cars driven on the left side of the road !

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for the information and cautions. I did not expect a reply back from the company I bought them from, but they said they are in fact parking lights.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the information and cautions. I did not expect a reply back from the company I bought them from, but they said they are in fact parking lights.
Wow I hadn’t even thought of that but yea that would be an issue

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I took the bug out last night and the lights work great, not to mention adding a little character to "Blue Belle".