• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Reproduction Lucas Headlamps

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
I realize that these were not supplied with Triumph sports cars, but just wondering, are these headlamps authentic reproductions? Would they be period correct for a TR3A?

click here

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Frank,

I have a set in my car and I like them very much. A lot better than the stock lamps, but I can't say if they are any better than some of the new high end bulbs that are available.

Attachments

• 23299.jpg
    23299.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 687

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
angelfi,

Pretty much a standard upgrade, They will work with your original wiring, but the up grade kit from VB would make me feel better.

I see a lot of these, and the price is not bad.

Wayne

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I do have the Dan Masters headlamp relay kit in mine as well as a 95 amp battery, so they are nice and bright. I know that Frank is covered with the alternator, so the relay kit is a definite plus.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
angelfj said:
I realize that these were not supplied with Triumph sports cars, but just wondering, are these headlamps authentic reproductions? Would they be period correct for a TR3A?

click here
Something to watch for, as even noted in the auction, some of the repros are really bad (in terms of light thrown on the road vs light thrown elsewhere). "No ma'am, that's a special yellow primer."

Personally, if I were going to do something like that, I'd go for the "Tripod" replicas that accept modern H4 bulbs, rather than using the obsolete PL700 bulbs. Yes, you can still buy them (even with halogen bulbs) but there is a significant premium for using the obsolete base. And H4 bulbs are readily available almost anywhere (if, for example, one should burn out on the way to an event).

BTW, while the old PL700s would be "period correct", they were also illegal in the USA. In fact, they might still be illegal in some locations, depending on how the law is interpreted.

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
I was fortunate enough to find an original pair of the Lucas PL7's on Ebay a while back. I'm almost sorry I paid more for them now because I cannot see much difference between the originals and the reproductions. I do like them though.
I replaced the stock light bulbs with high intensity bulbs and they light the road very well.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Frank - I bought two PL 700 lamps in 1963 for $16.00 for the pair. I used them until about 7-8 years ago when one of the bullet reflector inside one of the lamps became corroded and it fell down to the bottom inside. From 1992 till about 7-8 years ago, I lost part of a point at every TRA annual concours event because the judges told me that this style PL 700 did not exist when our TR3As left the factory.

What is correct if you really want to be exact is to buy the 7" lamps with the black dot in the center. This dot is about 3/8" in diameter.

But then TRA will (or may) dock you part of a point because the original lamps with that black dot also had the word "LUCAS" printed across the dot. So if you buy 2 new repro lamps with the small black dot, they will not have the word "LUCAS" because our usual suppliers will tell you that the repro company cannot come to an agreement with Lucas as the name is a copywrite trade-mark name held by Lucas.

Looking for two good original lamps with the word Lucas across the small black dot is the only way to please TRA. BTW, they never docked me any points because of the halogen replacements that I bought at my local auto parts store about 7-8 years ago.

Go figure !

Good luck looking for two rare and old "needles in a hay stack".

Here is a TR2 owned by the original owner here in the Montreal area showing the correct small dot and the word Lucas across the dot.

Attachments

• 23300.jpg
    23300.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 610

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Here is a closer shot of the early small-dot Lucas 7" diameter lamp. The Comm. No. on this TR2 is about TS 6000 L.

Attachments

• 23301.jpg
    23301.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 613

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Don, those "earlier" lamps are known as "P700" and took a more typical (for the time) headlamp bulb. Original "PL700" with the PL shield rather than the round LUCAS center) took a Type A headlamp bulb.

For whatever it's worth, PL700 lamps are not shown in my Lucas Master Catalogue 1945-60, but the P700 lamps are shown. Also, if you look at any number of factory publicity photos of TR2, TR3 and early TR4, it is the P700 as pictured above that you see.

Finally, even originals weren't always the best. I bought some NOS P700s back in the mid-1970s (I worked briefly in an ex-Bap-Geon store, and -- honest to goodness, there was a pallet full of NOS P700s!). Optically, they were fine, but some of the tri-pod bars weren't aligned very well inside!

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
TR3driver said:
Something to watch for, as even noted in the auction, some of the repros are really bad (in terms of light thrown on the road vs light thrown elsewhere).

Personally, if I were going to do something like that, I'd go for the "Tripod" replicas that accept modern H4 bulbs, rather than using the obsolete PL700 bulbs.

I would re-iterate that some repro's are really bad.

The ones that will accept the H4 bulbs seem to be better quality, in addition to providing more light. For example, I am pleased with the sets I get from Custom Spares.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
funny you say, I purchased a set of uprated headlamps from TRF dont now which ones unless I look at my pics since I am out of town, but when I put them back in after my paint job I realized they were askew and I endedup having t cut the metal tabs that fit into the slots so they would line up correcly, seems anything we buy aftermarked has to be tweeked to fit correctly, just my observations

Hondo

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Hey, where in the heck is Frank? All this chatter and he hasn't checked back in yet.

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Brosky said:
Hey, where in the heck is Frank? All this chatter and he hasn't checked back in yet.

I'm here. been nursing a 'orable' cold, the kind of sinus thing - you know - where just reading is an effort. :frown:

Thanks to everyone who sent a comment re the lamps. I'm going to hold off until next spring and see if I can find a pair at Carlisle. :yesnod:

PeterK

Yoda
Frank, Try some cognac, tsp honey, and drop of lemon, 20 sec in the microwave. Great for a cold esp sinus.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
PeterK said:
Frank, Try some cognac, tsp honey, and drop of lemon, 20 sec in the microwave. Great for a cold esp sinus.

Frank,if minimal results are achieved after first dose,repeat several more times and you'll feel great! works well as a preventive maintenance as well.lol

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Frank-

Off topic and probably discussed already, but I chuckle everytime I see that icon of yours! Get well soon! I can vouch for Peter's suggested remedy as I've tried it - the hardest part is staying in that microwave for 20 seconds! :crazy:

Randy

PeterK

Yoda
Frank, As long as it it's working, eventually someone will recognize you and take you by the hand and tell you your name. Then they'll Purell their hands.
grin.gif