• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

35 mile shake down cruise

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I went to get the car tonight and everything was fine. Carbs weren't temperamental at all this time for alignment, but the choke cables were a bit surly. One small (relatively speaking) leak at the upper radiator hose after an extended idle, but NO oil leaks, so off we go. Coolant fan working just great.

Erik wanted to center the wheel so he drove the first 5 miles and then I dropped him off on the way home and had a nice ride.

I don't have a video camera, but I also got orders to keep it under 4,000 rpms for the first couple hundred miles, so if next week isn't a wash out like it looks to be, I'll do a youtube video. Watching me force myself to shift at 3,500 rpms is a sad sight, but I know that it's only temporary. You listening Erik?? :wall:

Second impressions, Day Two.

The car sounds just great, IMHO. It has a slightly lumpy idle at 850-900 rpms. It pulls very well at low rpms, but I'm stuck there for a while, so nothing more on that. It does feel that it really wants to jump when you rev it, so I need to keep the jets cooled for awhile. I would highly recommend this cam to anyone doing their engine, even though I haven't got to run it hard. It performs great for the street and in traffic, etc., yet you can feel that it wants to go when you get to the 3,000 mark.

Now about the (9) lb. Fidanza aluminum flywheel. There is a marked improvement in the engine revving both up and down. I know that the compression is higher, but engine braking is much improved with this setup. And that business about getting used to it and having to rev the engine to pull out? Forget it, it's as smooth as silk to drive and I'd never want the old setup back.

I'm happy that I stayed with the stock exhaust in the stainless version from England and with the headers, it has a very nice sound. It would remind those who can remember, the big block Chevy and Mopar's of the 60's with the stock factory exhaust. Throaty, but nice around town and when you pull along side someone at a light. You can tell that it's had a little work done under the hood.

Oh, one last thing. Driving home tonight, in the dark with the top down, I suddenly realized that I could actually see very well with my headlamps on. That I attribute to the new Masters headlamp wiring and relay package as well as the new 55AMP Bosch Fiesta alternator. I have the TRF Tripod H4 halogen lamps which used to drag the engine down when you turned them on. But they still weren't very bright. Not anymore and nary a drop in rpms with this new Masters harness and alternator.

Now if it only wasn't going to get cold and rain for the next six out of seven days....sigh..... :nonod:

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Congrats on the breakin drive!!!!
Its a great feeling to know all the effort you put into this project is starting to pay off!

So what are ya gunna do when its all done Paul?

yer gunna miss the large projects!

Sleipnir

Paul,

When I passed you on I 195 I was a little worried that your head might split in two, your grin was so big!

Sunday the weather is looking good. Drive it all day and I'll raise the rpm limit on Monday.

Enjoy!

Erik

Inheritr6

Nice job! Once all your work is done you may go through withdrawals and have sudden urges to start another major project. Those first couple hundred miles you drive before you can smash on it will seem like a eternity. I was told 1000 miles when I put a new engine in my GTO, I think I made it 500 before I was redlining it….
Just want to say I have enjoyed fallowing your rebuild and have found a lot of useful information on your website. keep it up!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Now I get to update the website. Good thing that you reminded me about that!

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Paul,
Isn't it great being back on the road again. I got everything back in the car on Tuesday and all I've been doing is driving, feeling and listening. I think we all get a bit paranoid when we've done major work on our cars. Saturday afternoon and Sunday look like good driving days...... have fun!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]yer gunna miss the large projects![/QUOTE]

Bill,

Aside from some minor under hood detailing, not much left on the car. As I said in the other post, the dash replacement will be next, but the first things that need to be done are the gauges. I'll take the spare set all apart and have the housings bead blasted and painted so that when mine come apart, I can clean the faces and drop them in. Then I'll rebuild second set and bag them up in my spare parts bin for future use.

Those, along with updating my website with all of this engine info will be rainy day projects. When it's nice out, I'm back to golf and driving again.

I was telling my neighbor when I got home tonight that after having the suspension and brakes completely rebuilt last fall, and now the engine rebuilt, it really does feel like a new car again.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Oh, Inheritr6, I nearly forgot.

Welcome to the Forum!!

And Erik, I'll be letting you know all about the miles that I put on the car. Trust me on that one!!

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Brosky said:
I was telling my neighbor when I got home tonight that after having the suspension and brakes completely rebuilt last fall, and now the engine rebuilt, it really does feel like a new car again.
There's not many of us out here that can make that statement, Paul.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Hey Paul....
Congratulations.
I've been motoring about a bit with my new TH5 cam and 9.0:1 CR for a couple of evenings; like you I'm trying to hold it down but it does seem to want to get up and go. Just be patient I guess.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

"Congrats" Paul,

I was just wondering; Where`s "BROOKLANDS" with his TR3B these days?

He was pretty active here for awhile & now; Nothing?

He`s local to myself & I hope all is well.

Russ

cutlass29

Great news Paul.

Sunday looks like it could be the day to get your coupla hundred miles in!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I hoping for the "Sun on Sunday". It was cloudy last night, but at least it was about 72, so top down driving wasn't too bad.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Saw your car yesterday morning when I stopped by Erik's shop before the game. Looked great! It's so shiny, I needed sunglasses! :laugh:

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Rich,

Now that mine is out, yours is next, so get ready!!

I know that Erik will be juggling a TR6 tri-carb conversion and doing yours as time and parts permit. I think that he said you were going to detail the engine compartment while everything is out of the way. There is no time better to get at everything and clean it up to look good.

tomshobby

Yoda
Paul, your car looks absolutely fantastic. I am sure the photos do not do it justice and hope to see it in person one day.
For Shirley's first time out since her surgery we had ours in a local show last evening with about 80 other cars. We were the only LBC. You know the kind of show with Cudas, Mopars, Vettes, GTO's, and some custom rods. Even one with 18" wide rear tires stuffed in the tubs. We did have a lot of interest and some were taking pictures.
Depending on the weather on Sunday, supposed to rain, we might attend an autocross. Shirley wants to go to see what it is about and being Mother's Day I told her we could.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom,

I promised Maureen a nice day of cruising for Sunday as well, weather permitting, of course. We've got to remember Mother's day!!