• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mainshaft Bearing Removal

mylesw

Jedi Hopeful
Hello

I'm most of the way through dismantling my side shift gearbox and am now trying to remove the bearing from the mainshaft but with little succes so far. What is the trick to get this off - my pullers are all too short to reach it...?

Thanks

Myles

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Get a proper puller. Hammers are for the people that don't use proper tools....and damage things.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The two piece bearing spliter is best. All you really need to do is support the inner race of the bearing and press out the shaft. If you have a long enough piece of pipe that has a nicely squared off end and an ID to allow the shaft to pass through but will pick up the inner race of the bearing you might get there by using a brass hammer but a hydraulic or arbor press is really best. I do have a huge hammer collection but I am judicious about when I use them.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
roscoe;93 All you really need to do is support the inner race of the bearing and press out the shaft. If you have a long enough piece of pipe that has a nicely squared off end and an ID to allow the shaft to pass through but will pick up the inner race of the bearing you might get there by using a brass hammer but a hydraulic or arbor press is really best. .[/QUOTE said:
I agree. Zactly what I would do:encouragement:

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Confession time for me. Although I have been an attorney for 39 years, I have a checkered past. I dropped out of high school in 1962 and went into the Air Force. My AFQE results were very high and that got me into nuclear weapons school. Then, at Lowry Air Force base in Denver, Colorado, just prior to me starting nuclear weapons classes, they noticed I was a high school drop-out. Heaven forbid! I was relegated to auto mechanics school (special purpose vehicle maintenance) and sent to Chanute Air Force base in Illinois. It was there that I heard those memorable pearls of wisdom from one of my tech-Sargent instructors....."don't force it, get a bigger hammer".
I can honestly say.......... I never followed his advice.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was relegated to auto mechanics school (special purpose vehicle maintenance) and sent to Chanute Air Force base in Illinois. It was there that I heard those memorable pearls of wisdom from one of my tech-Sargent instructors....."don't force it, get a bigger hammer".
I can honestly say.......... I never followed his advice

OMG This fella has lead a hard life.-Keoke-:welcoming:​

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Confession time for me. Although I have been an attorney for 39 years, I have a checkered past. I dropped out of high school in 1962 and went into the Air Force. My AFQE results were very high and that got me into nuclear weapons school. Then, at Lowry Air Force base in Denver, Colorado, just prior to me starting nuclear weapons classes, they noticed I was a high school drop-out. Heaven forbid! I was relegated to auto mechanics school (special purpose vehicle maintenance) and sent to Chanute Air Force base in Illinois. It was there that I heard those memorable pearls of wisdom from one of my tech-Sargent instructors....."don't force it, get a bigger hammer".
I can honestly say.......... I never followed his advice.

The one I heard was: "ya make it on until it strips, then back off a quarter turn."

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The one I heard was: "ya make it on until it strips, then back off a quarter turn."

OH that's a good one Steve :
. Be sure and have Pete bring it up at the next Tech session, that is some valuable information -Keoke:jester: