Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fuel issue ?

Hello

Today I took the car for the second day out ( after she didn't dirve for approx three years). Yesterday during the first drive of approx 20 miles all went well. ( Car was for 4 years not on the road)

This morning i made another ride for approx 20 miles as well. This ride went without problems. After a stop of one hour I decided to take another short ride. The car started well but after a quarter mile just making a turn the engine stopped.( when i openend the bonnet I noticed, that you could clearly see the vapours coming out the carberettor area closest to the firewall) . Tried to start her again and again initially without success. As when the car turned on It was only for a second or two. I was just thinking to phone home, if the car wouldn't start during this last attempt to have the car towed home.

With this last attempt when turning on the ignition the fuel pump was ticking 4/5 times longers than usual but in the end the car started and drove without problems ( No idea what other problems will follow )

Are there any ideas, what it could have been and how to solve this when it will happen again

Harry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Fuel issue ?

How old is the fuel?
    Larry K
    58 Jag 3.4 MK 1 auto under restoration, 57 Jag 3.4 MK1 manual ,
    03 Cooper S, 2011 Cooper S Countryman, 2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE LUX, 1964 Valiant V200
    Also had , 68 Cortina 1600E, 64 Spit 4 & 80 1500, 73 GT6 3, 71 XJ6, 79 XJ6, 86 XJS V-12, 53 XK120 OTS.

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fuel tank was for three years 1/6 th filled made some attempt before to start. Was drained prior to filling again with fresh gasoline

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might take carb floats and clean or replace rubber needle seats and flush passages. Possibility of old fuel in lines sticking seats. Clean fuel does not always clear carbs. Replace or clean in line filter. Since it ran decent twice, not looking at ignition. Spark plugs can foul on old fuel mixture. If clean and still issue, check points.
    Larry K
    58 Jag 3.4 MK 1 auto under restoration, 57 Jag 3.4 MK1 manual ,
    03 Cooper S, 2011 Cooper S Countryman, 2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE LUX, 1964 Valiant V200
    Also had , 68 Cortina 1600E, 64 Spit 4 & 80 1500, 73 GT6 3, 71 XJ6, 79 XJ6, 86 XJS V-12, 53 XK120 OTS.

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep , if there was any ethanol in the fuel You now have gelatinous blobs floating around the fuel system.

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gasoline ( in the Netherlands Euro 95 contains 3-5 percent bio-ethanol) some brands Euro 98 doesn't contain any ethanol at all