• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Zaino Z-2 Show Car Polish: Product evaluation

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Having won the Zaino products in the fall, I have had to wait until temperatures and conditions permit me to try them out. Here is what I found:-

My car is a 1980 MGB, with factory-original paint in good condition. I have previously used the Zymol cleaner wax and various other products, including Meguiars, so I was able to make a good comparison. Firstly, the instructions stated that I could apply the product in direct sunlight, so I did, just to be awkward.

The product went on very easily, and I didn't have to apply any pressure. I then left it to sit for at least thirty minutes, as per the instructions. I also applied it to those big rubber bumpers, as nothing I have tried before has worked to my satisfaction on them. There was no trace of paint on the applicator, a refreshing change, as non-abrasive actually meant non-abrasive in this case. There was some black from previous products used on the bumpers, but no big deal. I should have cleaned them better before application. My bad.

When it was time to remove the product, I used the recommended cotton cloth, with removed the haze quickly and easily. I had to turn the cloth often, and used more than one, because of build-up, but in the end, I was impressed with the finish and depth of shine. Apparently, the depth of shine will increase with further applications, so I shall do just that in the next day or so. I had several compliments on the car when I went out in it later, and I am very happy with the Zaino. I really can tell the difference, and the results would have been better had I followed Zaino's recommended preparation of the vehicle beforehand. I would thoroughly recommend the Zaino Z-2 to anyone who is looking for a good product to use.

www.zainobros.com

Basil

Administrator
Boss
AS someone who has been using Zaino for a long time, I can assure you that it does get beter and better with each application. I have never used anything that gives the kind of depth that Zaino does. Once at a car show, I have my torch red car with a Zaino shine sitting next to an identical car with indentical color that had been shined with McGuires. My car was so much richer looking that people walking by kept asking if it was the same color as the car next to it. True story.

So is this what you want for winning the Crack the Safe game? More Zaino? Let me know!
crazy.gif

Basil

[ 03-25-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

huck6

Jedi Trainee
How is this product on chrome? I have a few surface rust spots developing on some of my chrome (darn road salt). Will this help? Anything I should do to prep the spots before applying?
frown.gif

A

aerog

Zaino works great for beading water off of chrome, but it has absolutely no "polishing" properties to clean or remove rust and surface oxidation of any kind.

I've had very good luck with using a variety of good chrome polishes (even Turtle-Wax Chrome "polish and rust remover" works pretty well), then I maintain the chrome with Mother's Chrome polish. If you polish the chrome and manage to get the rust out Zaino will do a decent job protecting it and making it sparkle, as long as you go through the whole Zaino process as advertised. I wouldn't run out and buy Zaino just for chrome though to be honest.

As for Silky's question - if your paint is already in less than decent condition, using Zaino will do very little to make it better, you're better off looking at using some decent abraisive polishers to bring the shine back, then look at maybe using Zaino or a decent wax product.

Along those lines, years ago a friend of mine ran across an old Corvette that had very flat paint. He traded something for the car, and spent a week sanding a polishing the paint (he started with some incredibly high grit numbers and a sanding block to cut the flat out of the paint, then used a variety of polishing compounds). He broke through the paint in one small area, but otherwise the car looked he just painted it. Obviously doing that thins the paint out and any future polishing just gets you closer to the primer and metal/fiberglass, but if you're careful you might be able to bring a flat paintjob back to life. Oh yeah, and don't forget to include Zaino as the last step
smile.gif

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
I second the motion on Zaino being good product. I have used it for about three years now. IF you follow Sal Zainos instructions fully and precisely... you will have a very nice finish. It doesn't "fix" bad paint but it is great for keeping a good surface from getting tired. It lasts too, even in our very hot Texas weather. Wax lasts a couple of weeks... even the best carnuba... Zaino lasts months and looks like it was done yesterday. Check out David Bynon and Sal Zainos requirement to use only 100% cotton towels. Some towels marked 100% are NOT... if made in certain countries 100% means 90% cotton and some "other fibers" for stability. Buy American made towels and reduce the scratches from "stability fibers". Also go back and forth NEVER around in a circle when washing and waxing. Etc etc etc

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by StevenA:
I second the motion on Zaino being good product. I have used it for about three years now. IF you follow Sal Zainos instructions fully and precisely... you will have a very nice finish. It doesn't "fix" bad paint but it is great for keeping a good surface from getting tired. It lasts too, even in our very hot Texas weather. Wax lasts a couple of weeks... even the best carnuba... Zaino lasts months and looks like it was done yesterday. Check out David Bynon and Sal Zainos requirement to use only 100% cotton towels. Some towels marked 100% are NOT... if made in certain countries 100% means 90% cotton and some "other fibers" for stability. Buy American made towels and reduce the scratches from "stability fibers". Also go back and forth NEVER around in a circle when washing and waxing. Etc etc etc<hr></blockquote>

Ah, another Zaino-phile! You are right about Zaino not being for fixing poor paint. It is a show car polish that really is only for use on very good paint jobs. Using Zaino on so-so paint is a waste of money in my humble opinion. But if you have a decent paint job, it is my humble opinion that nothing comes close to Zaino!

Basil

silky

Country flag
Thanks for the info! Can anyone explain to me what's with this? I've got two cars, a MB and a Volvo, which have metallic paint. Areas of the paint, while still smooth and shiny, look like the color is clouding up or rubbing off. Non-abrasive cleaners and even rubbing compound don't seem to make any difference. I've not seen this in any car I've owned with regular paint. Is there something going on with the clear coat? Or is the paint deteriorating from the inside because of the metallic stuff?