• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Paging Steve - RE: Zaino

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Steve,
Now that you have received the Zaino kit, you might wnat to look at the Zaino web page for tips on proper application, as that will make all the difference. ANd when they say "thin coats" they mean thin...
(PS, if you decide to do the claybar first, you can; probablt get claybar at the local Napa or Autozone, Pepboys, etc.

Basil

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aerog:

DO order good towels, or shop for them. They might cost a little bit up front, but Sal's recommendations are, as usual, right on the mark. I order what he recommends off yahoo.
<hr></blockquote>

YES! In fact, buy 100-percent cotton bath towels (like Cannon) and cut then up to size. Be sure to cut off the tags - they scratch!

A

aerog

I don't even cut them to size
smile.gif
I fold them, use them, flip, unfold and refold, flip, etc. They end up lasting quite awhile that way.

Not only do the tags scratch, but the outer bindings on many "cotton" towels (even the Cannons) have a high nylon content and will scratch a fine paint job. I usually trim the entire perimeter of the towel, including the inset borders (about 4" in from the ends). The left-over thin strip of towel makes a great chrome polishing rag. It kind of makes a mess doing all that, but it seems to be better on the paint.

Lastly - don't use any detailing spray except the stuff Zaino supplies and sells. Some of the chemicals in the other sprays defeat the effort put forth by doing the entire Zaino process. His details work great the other way (on waxed surfaces) though.

Gee, maybe I need to go put a few coats on the cars this weekend!
smile.gif

A

aerog

Avoid using the Meguire's claybar kit. It is infamously bad, and although I had some success with it the first time I used mine I couldn't believe the quality difference between it and the Mother's kit. Since then I've got the Zaino version (I think it's probably the same as clay-magic).

Basil's words about THIN layers is on the mark. Start with a totally clean car - and that means completely clean and clear of all waxes, oils, silicons, detailing agents, etc.

DO order good towels, or shop for them. They might cost a little bit up front, but Sal's recommendations are, as usual, right on the mark. I order what he recommends off yahoo.