• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wood Dash

Morris

Yoda
I am considering a custom wood dash as a cheap winter project for my '79. I have always loved the TR6 dash, and I am very un happy with the layout of the stock dash.

What say you men? Is this a bad idea? What are your thoughts?

middleagecrazy

Go for it. My Dad made the new panels for his Spitfire out of Cherry. It's really nice. I personally added a Walnut panel that the Main section for the Tach, odometer, and Combo T/O gauge in my Austin Healey.

Anthony

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As added incentive: Lotus (read: Colin Chapman) used plywood for the Elan/Europa dash... and it is actually considered a "stress-member" of the chassis too!

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Given the price of manufactured ones, I'd do it too. I have a beauty of a router in the garage I've never used and thought about it myself. Rewiring was the only thing that daunted me.
Over the winter I thought I'd maybe start with the center console and see how that goes. I'd like to see pics too....

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I have a real nice dash in my 69 Midget, I just don't know how to post the picture here.
Solid 3/4" oak with a removable switch bank and removable gauge section. It even has a wood glove box.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My '63 Midget has a wood dash - lovely thing!

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
pictures? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
63midget002.JPG

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Tony it's beautiful!

That settles it. The wood dash will be so!

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
Tony..Wow what a look. I have a 1970. I think the only dash difference is the heater dial, and ignition. What did you make it out of, and what is the bottom finishe trim made from. Do you have a design that you would be willing to share/sell?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just a real thin, pretty piece of walnut...think the bottom finisher is just round foam covered with black vinyl & attached behind the bottom edge of the wood.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Didn't the dash mounting change when the went from the Bugeye-style dash (all sidescreen cars) and the later cars with wind up windows? The dash certainly changed. Is the mounting similar? How about the later padded dash cars?

MGNoir

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Kind of curious about the "morality" of a wooden dash on a car that originally didn't have one. Personally I think they are cool as all can be and would love to put one on my '74 Midget - except knowing some people with a "higher level of understanding" might just cringe if they saw it.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Kind of curious about the "morality" of a wooden dash on a car that originally didn't have one. Personally I think they are cool as all can be and would love to put one on my '74 Midget - except knowing some people with a "higher level of understanding" might just cringe if they saw it.

[/ QUOTE ]

& if they do cringe, I really don't give a darn!

My original dash is in a box upstairs in the GarageMahal with all my private parts...its a matter of just installing it if I ever wanted to....

Oh, your reasoning would also say my Nardi wood wheel is sacrilige!

Then, there's all the guys with updated brakes, poly bushings, & (sacrilige of sacriliges) 1275 engines or rib cagfe transmissions in cars that didn't have them! Oh, gos, what about radial tires on cars that only had bias belt tires.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
My original dash is in a box upstairs in the GarageMahal with all my private parts.

[/ QUOTE ]
?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif ??

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
A few months after our daughter was born, I threatned to put my private parts up in the attic "for all the good they're doin' me!"

My wife said I was over reacting.

Ps. MGNoir, I was concerned about the same thing. That's why I started this thread. If Tony says it's okay, then that's it! Tony's word is law around here.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
My original dash is in a box upstairs in the GarageMahal with all my private parts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry - the ground level of my garage (Jerri calls it my GarageMahal) is about 4000 square feet....the upsatair is a little over 1200...it contains a little efficiency apartment I'll someday finish for guests & a huge storage area where I have all kinds of neat things for each of my cars in case I ever need them...plus, if I've modified a car, the original parts are up there....there are dashes, seats, engines, transmissions, fenders, hoods, brightwork - some new, some used but each one earmarked for a car that's downstairs....my grandson will have fun figuring out what they are!

....& each of the cars downstairs that needs something repaired, updated, etc has the new or used parts laying in it (for example: the last time I drove my '63 Midget the clutch finally gave it up...so, there's a complete clutch kit and a new pull starter mechanism & a few other things I'll need when I get to the clutch & all the 'might as well's").

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
...with all my private parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duhh, hit Tony over the head with a stupid stick....I just got it, Barry......hehehehe