• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Dash Wood Type/Color

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
OP
Frank C.

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Greg, they look more like mine (or what they looked like 40+ years ago). I am trying to decide if I should get new while I have the car under "construction" or refinish the originals.

thanks again,
Frank

dancrim

Jedi Hopeful
I did a lot of research on this topic. Both Carpathian elm and Burl walnut were used over a Russian birch plywood.
In my opinion the burl walnut is the best looking and most used. I did my own, over my original panels, cost being Approx $75.00. Turned out great. Be glad to send you directions. For $225.00 you can get a real nice set in your choice from www.cgwoodcraft.com, he is also on Ebay. I talked to him, he uses the original plywood and has been making them for a few years. I just ordered a set for a friend. Will post a follow up when I recieve them....5-6 days.
Doing your own requires a homemade veneer press, and a lot of patience. You do get the satisfaction of "I did it myself bragging rights" . Like I said I did my own...but wouldn't
bother with it for anyone else for $225.00 "includes shipping".

OP
Frank C.

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
Dan,

Thanks for the info. I think you may be right ... bragging rights vs. time and ability! Let us know how they look.

Frank

fordtrucks4ever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I dont think you will find an exact match. I have never seen two identical trees in my life either. Burl Walnut sould get you there. If my glovebox didnt have a small chunk of veneer missing I would leave it all alone. You can find the veneer locally at any specialty hardwood store. That is if you are not living out in the stix. The original plywood can be encapsulated in epoxy if there is checking or weathering. Then remove the old veneer and glue a new piece on. Its not hard and not expensive. Wax paper, a couple of C-clamps, and some finish sanding. I missed out on a large sheet of veneer for about $20 a few weeks ago. I thought about how many dash repairs could have been done with it. You snooze you loose. Gotta love Craigslist.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
fordtrucks4ever said:
I dont think you will find an exact match. I have never seen two identical trees in my life either. Burl Walnut sould get you there. If my glovebox didnt have a small chunk of veneer missing I would leave it all alone. You can find the veneer locally at any specialty hardwood store. That is if you are not living out in the stix. The original plywood can be encapsulated in epoxy if there is checking or weathering. Then remove the old veneer and glue a new piece on. Its not hard and not expensive. Wax paper, a couple of C-clamps, and some finish sanding. I missed out on a large sheet of veneer for about $20 a few weeks ago. I thought about how many dash repairs could have been done with it. You snooze you loose. Gotta love Craigslist.
Well said: No two tress are identical.
Another way to say it is " Nature creates, not duplicates".
Patrick

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
'Cept twins. :wink:

OP
Frank C.

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
The problem is (as if there is only one!) the plywood beneath the veneer is falling apart too. I'm not sure if I'd be putting good stuff over bad at this point. The jury is still out but I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and getting new.

Thanks for all the advice ...

Frank

dancrim

Jedi Hopeful
Just got the panels from CGwoodcraft. Not bad..the finish on the rear of the glovebox door could be better. I think mine came out nicer..but I tend to be a perfectionist. Never seen a MOSS set..so I guess for the price ($225) I'd go for these. If anyone is interested I will be happy to send instructions on how to do your own.

Country flag
I am very interested in doing my dash and how others did theirs. I've heard many different products used always with others not liking it for one reason or another. It gets very confusing.What did you use?
TH

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
I used Baltic Birch plywood with a walnut burl veneer. While this is a relatively simple woodworking project, getting it right the first time can be a challenge.

I chose to lay up the veneer to the plywood before cutting out either the basic shape or the instrument and control holes. This makes the vacuum lamination of the veneer less likely to result in splits and wrinkles in the veneer. A suitable vacuum press is available at most good woodworking stores for a very reasonable price.

After veneering, the question arises as to whether then to do the cutting, with finishing to follow, or to stain and finish first, then cut. I chose the latter for a particular reason: When sanding and finishing any piece of wood, you will put more pressure on the edges than the field. The veneer is very thin, around 1/64 inch. If you are not careful, you will sand right through it along the edges and around the holes. Others may choose to do it differently. There is more than one way to achieve good results in most woodworking projects.

Next I filled the pores of the walnut veneer with a brown pore filler, and following instructions, allowed it to dry, then sanded the excess. This step will make the finishing easier, because whatever finish you use will not be required, through multiple layers, to fill the pores.

Next comes the choice of stain or no stain. I chose to match my existing dash as closely as possible, and that required a rosewood gel stain, followed by orange shellac. This gives the otherwise decidely brown walnut a reddish hue. This is purely personal preference.

After stain and shellac, I applied multiple coats of spar varnish. This is a very important step. Not all finishes protect from ultra-violet light. Spar varnish does. If you don't get a finish that protects from UV light, your dash will fade with time and exposure. I applied multiple layers, allowing ample drying time between layers, with light scuffing before the succeeding application.

When sufficient layers of final finish are on the wood to ensure a completely flat surface when viewed in good light from an angle, the finish can be finished. This process is a multi-step procedure, starting with 600 grit paper, proceeding to at least 1200 grit, finally followed by a machine glaze buffing at mediuim speed with a foam buffing pad.

Now all the finishing above applies to those of us who do not have adequate spray epuipment. I have compressed air and a spray gun, but not enough drying capability to satisfy. Spraying the final finish can provide some distinct advantages, and if properly controlled, may reduce most of the final finishing steps.

What you are trying to achieve with all the above steps is a mirror finish which reveals no "nibs" to the touch, and a completely uniform surface when viewed from a low angle into a light source.

Lastly, I did cut out the dash to shape, and followed that with cutting out the instrument holes. The latter step was accomplished with the help of a very good friend with a Bridgeport vertical mill and a sense of adventure.

My end result turned out great, but took a lot of time. I'll bet others have done better with less time invested. No matter, it's a good project for this car for anyone.

OP
Frank C.

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
It looks like the woodworking skills in this group far excede mine! I'd love to redo the dash myself but concidering the condition of the base plywood and my poor track record in this area, I think I'll take the easy-out and order the parts.

Thanks to eveyone for their input and please have a very Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year!

Frank Custis

Country flag
Is Spar varnish (water based?) compatible with Shellac? Do you sand the Shellac? Did you brush on, spray or pore the Shellac and varnish? Sorry for all the questions but this is something you don't want to do over.
TH

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a different question. Where can I get a small sheet of the veneer that covers the backside of the glove box door? Mine is patched and while it is all in good condition, the patches are visible. I think I'd like to glue a new sheet over the old sheet.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
why said:
identical or fraternal?
Identical. Like a fine exocitc wood, both have developed with very different personalities even though they look alike.
Patrick

dancrim

Jedi Hopeful
VeneerSupplies.com has the stuff you need. I made my own press using 2 pieces of 2" countertop 24" X 10" and a piece of 1/4" rubber and a lot of weight.
If you are serious I have a usable set of original BJ8 panels, and the veneer.
(Burl Walnut). I can also send directions. I used a pour on product from Enviro-Tex. They have good online instructions. Mine came out far superior to the ones you buy, real deep finish. Also if I still have them, I'll re-veneer and finish the panels myself this spring and let them go for a fair price.
Temp. has to be 75 or better for proper glue and epoxy cure. So in the winter I,m not going to heat a workshop to 75 for 2 weeks. Panels are ready to veneer.

Country flag
Enviro-Tex is one of the products I was warned about because it has no UV protection. As I seldom have the top up this is a concern to me. Is it compatible with Spar varnish or other marine varnish as a top coat? I like the pour on idea.
TH