• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Refinish Wood Dash

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Please see the photos below. Should I just order a new dash? Will this hold an even application of stain, or will the poor sanding job (my fault) doom me from the start? I know zip about staining wood.

Dash 1.jpg Dash 2.jpg Dash 3.jpg

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ouch! You’ve sanded thru to top veneer layer and in order to have it look correct you will need to peel off what’s left of it and re veeer. For those of us who love woodworking this is a fun project, but it can seem difficult if you’ve never done it before. If you decide to give it a shot let us know and we can help guide you thru the process. If you had rather not tackle this project, there are some excellent dash’s on eBay and from other sources.
Rut

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm just curious, Rut, how would you remove the rest of the old veneer? I once took a stab at a Stag dash that had already started to delaminate on it's own, but the remaining veneer was pretty firmly stuck and I abandoned the project. I enjoy mechanical work a lot more than wood :smile:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
This 'wood' be an interesting project - if you are looking for a project.

I 'wood' think running the piece through a planer might be one way to remove the veneer and get a smooth base for new veneer -- but I am not a woodworker (though I know one).

Definitely do not throw it away.

I foolishly tossed my original replacing it with a nice (but clearly non-original) TRF part. If I had it to do over I would have taken shot at re-doing it with the correct (for mine) bookend veneer.

If you do decide to throw it - you may throw it my way (I think a TR4 dash is the same except for the addition of a dash light rheostat).

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have redone a couple of dashes before, and admittedly I do enjoy wood working. I have removed veneer by using a number of methods. I have used a regular clothing iron to heat up the veneer and then a putty knife to gently lift the veneer. Use a brown bag between the wood and the iron so gunk doesn't get stuck to your iron. My preference when using machinery to is a drum sander. A lot of times cabinet shops will put things through for you. I wish you were closer-I'd let you use mine. My only reservation on using my planer is getting the laminate below chewed up. If you are still undecided, maybe just get the veneer off and decide from there if you want to invest the time.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks all. This dash had a plasticky coat of polyurethane or some other material they had cracked and alligatored all over the surface. That is why I ended up having to do so much sanding. In one part the veneer had already been damaged, but in other places I clearly let my equipment get away with me and I made things worse.

Knowing my level of patience and ability, I’m likely going to order a new dash. Geo, if I do, I’ll swing by and give you my old one, but I’m not sure it will be much of a “gift.“ More like a challenge.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I like the steam iron method for removing veneer, but I like to use a porous cloth so the steam can penetrate better. Once it starts to curl and separate around the edges use a 3 in 1 tool, thin putty knife, or wide wood chisel to remove it, piece by piece. I sent you a pm earlier regarding glue and such.
Rut

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks, guys. I doubt I'll have a chance to try it, but at least now I have an idea how to do it.