• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wire wheels: Dayton vs Dunlop

Slider748

Has anyone fitted wire wheels to their TR6? I've done some research and the 2 most common brands are Dayton and Dunlop. The Dayton's seem to be higher quality which I am leaning towards, however they don't have a 5-1/2" rim. They offer 5" and 6" widths. Also, they have a bolt on style that I can't imagine can correctly replicate the original spline style. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
For my 67 EType Jag I plan to put the Daytona Stainless wheels on in place of their chrome wheels. In Jag circles, the Daytona wheels seem to the the #1 choice of most folks I know.

Basil

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

I've not fitted wires to any car, but have laced a few for bicycles and motorcycles, over the years.

Are you aware of radially or center laced wire wheels? These might be a bit more expensive, but are stronger, less likely to need truing when new or over time and are easier to clean.

Just a thought.

I think you would want the 6" width on a TR6. That's adequate for a 205/60 tire, at least. I have 5-1/2" wide Panasport wheels on my TR4 and 195/60 are about as wide a tire as will comfortably fit. So 5" wide wheels would take an even narrower tire.

Cheers!

Alan

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
I got the Dayton's 6-7 years ago and have been very pleased. They arrived in fine shape, and eliminated the vibration problem with the old & slightly rusted painted wires.

At the time there was alot of discussion about how Dunlop's got beat around when shipped from India, and needed to be "trued" prior to installation. That swayed me to the Dayton's. I've no idea if that still holds.

If you go with Dayton's, get them "sealed" so you can use tubeless tires. I did mine myself with silicone, and had a few small leaks, but have gotten it down by now.

As far as the width - I don't know for sure what I have, but think it's 6". Ordered them from TRF during a big winter sale. Also - not sure about the "bolt on style" you refer to - mine are splined and use the typical hex cap.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I've had a set of Dunlops for 4 years w/o a problem. I also heard it said (by one vendor) that they get beat up coming from India but it never sounded credible to me -- everything from TV sets to computers get shipped worldwide with no more damage than one would expect in any other shipping.

Daytons are fine too and may offer more size choices but for what I wanted the Dunlops worked.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The link below has pics of my 72 TR6 with 15x6 Daytons and 205/70R15 tires. Very, very smooth on the road. I got them from Hendrix Wire Wheel in Greensboro. They were cheaper than all the other vendors that I checked with (TRF, etc). They will also mount and true your tires and ship the combo to you ready to drive.

Here's the link:

https://www.lastdeadlast.com