• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Which replacement top to get

Cyberpyr8

Hi everyone. I have a "new" 79 Spitfire and I am trying to decide which top (brand/price/durability/ease of installation) is the best. What other parts other than the top should I order? Any suggestions?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Like Smokey said... You gotta shop around.

Prices vary widely for the same top so check the usual suppliers including British Parts Northwest. This is assuming you want a typical vinyl top (rather than a high-end such as Everlast).

OP
Cyberpyr8

Cyberpyr8

I see tops ranging from 260-360. I don't mind spending more if it is going to hold up better. I don't plan on having it up much, but in FL it can rain really hard. I want something that will hold up to being down most of the time but is decent.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I too live where most days are top-down days but when it rains (esp in the summer) it can be quite a downpour. I have an inexpensive Robbins top that should last forever since it spends most of its life in the boot. What helps is a wooden box I made to sit on the floor of the boot to put the top in.

This avoids the dilemma of either piling stuff on top of the top (not good) or having the top lay on top of the other stuff and risk scratches & other damage. I expect something similar could be done in a Spit boot.

The beige thing is a cloth bag I've put the top in.

bootbox1.JPG

bootbox2.JPG

bootbox3.JPG

OP
Cyberpyr8

Cyberpyr8

That box is a good idea.

I was leaning towards the Robbins too. I just don't want to get something too cheap that gets ruined from being down all of the time.

tomshobby

Yoda
Vinyl is less expensive but I have found that it gets stiff when cold and is much more difficult to raise. I am not a fan of the shiny look of vinyl either, even though that is what I have. And I am not sure what I might eventually get for a replacement since it is rarely up anyway.

The problem of raising it when cold is probably more important for me because of the way a TR6 raises. When I had a TR4 it was not as big of a deal because of the way the top frame adjusts to tension the top after it is fastened all around.

OP
Cyberpyr8

Cyberpyr8

I ordered the Robbins top. The cold really doesn't affect me much down in Tampa. If it is too cold (60's or below...BRRRR!) I will have the top up before I leave the garage. Most days it starts off cold here and then warms up to the 70's. I will probably have the top down unless it is raining even on colder days.

When I had a Jeep Wrangler in MD I found the trick to putting the top up in cold weather was turning the heat on before you start. Pull the top up and the heat loosens it enough so that it will stretch. I once put my top down in 40* weather and was able to get the top back up by using the heater. I can only imagine that the Triumph top would work similarly.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Glad you went with Robbins! They're good quality for the dollar. Been using them for over twenty years on my own and clients' cars. Good fit and all hardware. Time was you could actually talk with the "boss" but now the son is in charge, they've moved to a new facility and are no longer a "cottage" industry. No change in the quality or fit, just less "warm-n-fuzzy" for acquiring the tops.

Send me a PM as to WHERE in Tampa! I'm over by the State Fairgrounds!

...and WELCOME to the absolute BEST forum onna 'net. Not just for LBC's but one of the most pro-active and friendly forum-style sites on th' planet.

REALLY. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I got a top for a '63 Merc Comet from the convertibletopguys a few years ago. Quality was superb. I have put tops on MGs and Triumphs, and they are a breeze compared to a big top like the Comet had. The fit on the top was perfect, and installation was straight forward.
Bruce

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
The secret to longevity on a vinyl top is in how you maintain it and how you stow it. Keep it clean, wash the windows with a mild detergent, and use Novus plastic polish on them. When you fold it up, make sure you do it properly. It's not a bad idea to put a soft cloth or towel between the window and the rest of the roof when folded.

OP
Cyberpyr8

Cyberpyr8

Thanks for the tips. I know with the Jeep window I messed my first one up by putting it down (or rolling it up) dirty. I didn't know about the Novus polish though.