• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A What is "Too Tall" for a TR4?

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Got a friend looking for a Triumph. He's 6'4". Should I steer him toward an Austin Healey 3000 instead? Too tall for a TR4?

Is there more leg and head room in a TR6?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
What is 'too tall' may come down to 2 things:

Does he plan to drive with the top up? Without the top infinite headroom has let lots of too tall folks drive little British cars.

Is his height mostly in his legs? Some tall people appear to be average in height once they sit down, they seem to have an extra 3 or 4 inches in the legs.

The TR4 seems to me to have quite a bit of leg room, but the only way to know is too have him sit in one. I assume he is not local or he could try yours.

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I certainly hope 6-4 is not too tall. I'm 6-5 and my TR3 fits perfectly. Also most of my height is from the waste up(I wear 32 length pants). I will add that LBCs were easier to get in & out of when I was 20 compared to 70. I can't figure out what has changed about the cars (lol). Have your friend try one on for size and see. I once had a stranger look me up through the local club and ask if he could stop by to see if he could fit in my car before he made further bids on ebay.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I'm 6'3' and have plenty of leg room in my TR3, on the other hand my TR6 is a bit tight leg wise. He probably should test fit a 4 before buying.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'm 6'2" and fit fine with no problems in my TR3, as most people of height find the TR3 more then adequate. However, in a TR4, the situation can change. I had an early TR4 that had the TR3 style seats, and that was OK. However, I also had a TR4A which had more padded seats and I always felt a bit tight in it until I removed the seat tracks, moved it as far back as possible, and then bolted it to the floor. I also owned a TR6, but for some reason it felt OK without removing the tracks. Maybe that seat goes back farther. Like they say, try them out, but be careful with the TR4s and 4As, the seat themselves can make a big difference.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I was watching an Arnold Schwarznegger movie (there all stupid, but mostly entertaining), he got into a Sunbeam by ripping the seat out first. Not a recommendation.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
6'5" here and no problem with my TR4A but my height is mostly legs (35" inseam). A TR6 and TR4A should have the same leg and headroom.

Scott

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I was watching an Arnold Schwarznegger movie (there all stupid, but mostly entertaining), he got into a Sunbeam by ripping the seat out first. Not a recommendation.

Funny thing about Arnold, he is certainly broad but really not that big, Mike Golic, former defensive line player in the NFL tells a funny story about how he was a fan and finally got a chance to meet him at a party, he said Arnold kept running away when he would try to talk to him, I think Arnold is 5'9" or 5'10" and at the time anyway, didn't want his picture snapped with anyone that would make him look (relatively) little.

On the subject of size and cars, interesting how different people fit differently, I am 6'0" and have plenty of leg room in my TR250, I have the seat set in about the middle of the track adjustment when driving, plenty of room to go back further. MGBs have a goodly amount of legroom too, and a little more elbow room, Austin Healeys are better than TRs on the elbow room too, but I would say worse on the leg and head room. Funny, I just read a contemporary road test of the TR250, and they said you would have trouble fitting if over 6'0".

I think in addition to people's body dimensions differing a bit, preferred driving position differs a lot, I know my brother's legs are shorter than mine by an inch or so, but when he gets in my cars to drive them he always pushes the seat back a notch. My first car was an Austin Healey Sprite, so I learned to drive with my knees bent and legs splayed out a little, and all other cars seem big by comparison, people who come from the SUV and pick-up world often think "our" cars are just too cramped, even though they physically fit in them.

Best way to find out of course is to have him sit in one, if a TR4 isn't handy the whole TR4, 4a, 5/250, 6 range of TRs all shared the same cockpit so have him sit in any of them for a trial fit. That being said, an overstuffed re-upholstered seat vs. an well worn, sagging original will also make a difference in how much room you have in the car. Common trick in the early Healeys, which have very little headroom, is to have the seat cushion foam shaved to fit better, my head hit the top with the roof up before I did it in mine.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I thought I was 5'11" but I checked a height/weight chart. It turns out I am actually 6'4" and I fit in my TR4 just fine.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Got a friend looking for a Triumph. He's 6'4". Should I steer him toward an Austin Healey 3000 instead? Too tall for a TR4?

Is there more leg and head room in a TR6?

YEP ! I am 6 Ft 4 " and fit nicely in my Healey---:lol:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I thought I was 5'11" but I checked a height/weight chart. It turns out I am actually 6'4" and I fit in my TR4 just fine.

OH !! Sure-LOL

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
I'm 6'5", and fit fine in my tr4. (My head does rub with the top up, but who puts the top up?) I didn't shave my seat foam, but I released the clips on the back of the rubber seat bladder thingy that serves as springs in my seat. It gave me another inch or two of headroom...

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I'm 6'5", and fit fine in my tr4...

Calls for a photo -- The 6'5" Chileman and the somewhat shorter Geo (demonstrating the secret BCF handshake):

Chileman_zpsf2d2f4ea.jpg

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
Ahh, my tr4 pre restoration.. lol... I still can't believe that car is the same car in my signature.