• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire How tall is too tall?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
In a word, No. Your head will be over the windshield. A TR6 would be close for comfort. I have friend that is 6'8" and he can handle his wife's Jaguar XK8. They are beautiful and about the same price as good Driver TR6, just be aware they have issues and you need to get it checked before buying.

Wayne

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If you want to stay in the TR family, there's always the TR7/8. Very under-appreciated cars - for lots of reasons. I wasn't wild about them until I rode in one. The TR8 I had was very comfortable, and I'm sure you'd fit in one. Some bargains out there, if you're interested.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
You best bet is to try a few on as a person's height is only part of the equation. Whether your height is more in your legs or torso will affect the fit. Some people who are tall when standing are closer to average height when seated (but need more leg room).

Access and egress are also concerns - with some British cars getting in & out is more of an issue that driving position (thinking of a popular Jaguar in particular). Fitting under the steering wheel is also a problem for some, also pedal position -- but in those cases there are things that can be done to improve the fit.

A prior post mentioned a local club - those are people worth knowing for this sort of thing.

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
As just mentioned you really do just have to get in them and try the driving positions. My brother is 6'5"/250 and drove a '62 TR4 for 20+ yrs and is now refurbishing its replacement, a '66. Don't know yet if he's done anything to the seats. The least driveable vehicle for him over the years were the original E-types (which definitely favored long torso/shorter legs, okay for me, but I'm five inches shorter). Can't address the Spits, only drove one, but a fun car. Try every one before eliminating though. Good luck!

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I moved the seat back and added spacers to tbe front bolts to give it a small tilt. Worked fine,just would not move far enough forward for a short person.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
In a word, No. Your head will be over the windshield.

You best bet is to try a few on as a person's height is only part of the equation. Whether your height is more in your legs or torso will affect the fit. Some people who are tall when standing are closer to average height when seated (but need more leg room).

Access and egress are also concerns - with some British cars getting in & out is more of an issue that driving position (thinking of a popular Jaguar in particular). Fitting under the steering wheel is also a problem for some, also pedal position -- but in those cases there are things that can be done to improve the fit.

Definitely what Geo says. I'm 6'5" and had no problems with height in my wife's 1968 Spitfire Mk3 or my 1966 TR4A, but most of my height is in my legs. The larger steering wheel in the TR4A did mean that I needed to slide my right leg in and under first given my longer legs. :smile: Note that this was with the stock seats and no modifications to mounts.

I was only a scrawny 170lbs back in my 20s so I would recommend trying one out to see how it works for you.

Scott

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
how tall is too tall? You can be to short, never to tall, lol... I am 6' 5", with a long torso. I fit fine in the Tr4, (I do get some bugs on my forehead.) I can even put the top up in a pinch. I push the seat all the way back, and I unhooked the rubber "springs" on the seat in the back, and let the foam drop down. Easy to reverse if I ever sell the car.

Scot1966

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I am 6'3". My head is a couple inches below the top of the windshield on the TR3. Like people are saying, try sitting in different cars, because leg / torso lengths make a difference.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
how tall is too tall? You can be to short, never to tall, lol... I am 6' 5"...

Hah - I had forgotten how tall you are - proof positive that you're never too tall to drive a TR. Here's the Chileman looming over the tiny Geo:

Chileman_zpsc68d5263.jpg

As I recall - you also had no difficulty driving the TR3A (seat all the way back).

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
Ohh, Geo, you keep putting up that pre resto picture of "Rusty". He looks much different now! Sitting in the TR3 was no problem for me. I was surprised how narrow it felt compared to the 4.

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
FWIW, my wife is 6'2" with a 36" inseam. She can't drive the TR6 as her legs are too long to fit under the steering wheel, even with the seat moved all the way back in the stock position. I am 5'11 with a 30 inch inseam and I fit in the TR6 with no issues.

Matt

Country flag
While not a Spitfire, my brother was 7' tall and had no problem driving his TR3. If you're looking for leg room, consider an MGB. I'm 6'1 and with the seat all the way back I barely reach the pedals.

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Being too tall for most sports car, I compensated by having a thinner bottom seat cushion made for my TR3. The driving position is really not bad for a 6' 5" plus guy.
John
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 171

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
You tall guys make me laugh. I had to put 3" wood spacers under my TR6 drivers seat just to see over the steering wheel. The wheel is also almost up against my chest - and getting out of the car with the seat all the way forward is not easy. I still an't see the right front fender.I much prefer the Italian driving position.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
So I'm 6'4" 250 lbs. is the spitfire even going to work for me?

I think as we said in your first BCF thread - you need to find one and actually drive it for a while. You're in Salt Lake City - there are *lots* to check out.

First appearances usually make us want to buy it asap, and we don't know how we actually "feel" in it.

Give it an hour of driving before making any commitments.

And my usual caveat: don't buy one without actually driving it first.