• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

what did I buy

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
First check out this bugeye on ebay, I think it is so neat, except fot the price

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Austin-He...tem4606790416..

I purchased this manifold off ebay, cause, well it was so cheap. and I needed a buyers fix. really don't know what I bought..

It is advertized as "Austin/Morris Mini Sprite/ Midget A seris HS manifold"
casting #12G787 for a 998/1098 motor with use of the HS4 1.5" or the H1F38 carb

It is the single carb intake and exhaust set. I basically got it for freight. I have a couple of future project cars with 1098 and never know what I will buy tomorrow. IS it pure junk or workable on a midget or such

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
Manifold: I don't know.

Ebay Bugeye: Wow. Noticed it does not have a sway bar, perhaps since new.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Most likely from/for a Morris Minor, but would need to see a pic.

The race car?... used to belong to and raced by Wm Severin Thompson in the Wisconsin area.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Gerard said:
Most likely from/for a Morris Minor, but would need to see a pic.

The race car?... used to belong to and raced by Wm Severin Thompson in the Wisconsin area.

it was advertise for Morris miner but I guess what I am asking will they work on a midget and does it work well with just the one Carb? I always like to do something on my cars to sort out the real British people from the Americans

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Roger said:
It'll work, but not nearly as well as a real Spridget setup.

I would disagree. If it fits under the bonnet, a single HIF44 would be better than twin HS2's

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I have had actual experience with a single HIF6 with
custom big bore intake. Works great. Flawless manners.
I've used twin HS4s with a Maniflow intake. Great at WOT
but not so great around town. Loads up without throttle
blips at idle.
I'm using twin HS2s (Hap's job) nowadays and they are super.
Better low end as compared to the HIF6. Very nice street manners and seems to give as much power as the HIF6 but
not as much as the HS4s.
Great throttle response with the HS2s.
I still have the HS4s and HIF6 setups in the garage.
Carbs,intakes,K&N filters and throttle cables...complete
setups.
Granted this is a slightly modified engine but I think
one might see the same results from a stock motor.
That and it just looks so right with twins under the bonnet.
IMHO
:jester:

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
when I get around redoing my 1098 I will probably use it just to be different. thanks for the input.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here's a 1275 I put in a Morris Minor with a a single HIF44.

You will need the right intake for it to fit under the bonnet of a Spridget.

The two 1.25" throats do not add up to 2.5". You are still limited to 1.25" airflow. An HS6 or HIF44 is 1.75"

2 HS2's < 1 HIF44

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
So does that mean that the HIF6/44 has greater than two HS4s?
I'm no engineer I just went with real world A-B-C comparisons
with my motor. Lots of variables I guess.
All carbs were professionally, custom, built. All intakes mated to my ported head.
I changed nothing on the engine except the intakes and carbs as I compared. No dyno.
HS2s....HANDS down on all around. Noticeable increase in low rev power. Perhaps a bit less at the top compared to the HIF6.
HS4s gave more power than the HIF6 especially at top end
and low end was also improved. Long as I kept my foot in it.
Like I said, just my real world observations specific to my
applications.
I don't think anyone would be displeased with the single carb
intake. Like I said it performed flawlessly.
So do my HS2s.
They make a great sucking noise with the custom K&Ns on
radius velocity stacks. Love that sound.
:jester:
Here are pics of the HIF6 and HS2s.

Attachments

• 29369.jpg
    29369.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 276
  • 29370.jpg
    29370.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 278

Jedi Trainee
This is my math:

1.25 x 1.25 x 3.14159 x 2 = 9.81474686 Sq Inches area (2 HS2's)

1.75 x 1.75 x 3.14159 = 9.6211193 Sq. Inches (1 HIF44)

YMMV :wall:

nomad

Yoda
Radius squared guys!!! I've done it and the 2 hs2's have slightly more area than 1 hs6. The hif 44 has slighly less than a 1.75 carb. Throat area's right around 2.5" squared. There are other factors that probably influence the performance more. Visard showed better flow for the single carb against the hs2's on a stock manifold because the design of the stock manifold was so poor.
I think that everyone got sidetracked here though. The manifold that is being compared is for a 1.5" carb and I would agree with Roger that it probably will run fine but not give as good of performance as the 2 hs2 setup.

Kurt.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
OK, several things:

David, you indicate your HS2's are highly modified, ala Vizard, so you really can't compare those in the mix with the stock SU carbs. In reality, it's about airflow, not carb size. That means the manifold is an important factor, (as are the restrictions in the head). A single carb with a more direct airflow is inherently better. Additionally, it also has a lot to do with what an engine needs in term of airflow.

Quoting a bit from Vizard:

[After making several very positive statements about design/performance benefits and vitues of SU's specifically, he goes on to say...]

<span style="font-style: italic">"So, is the SU perfect? Hardly. 1-1/4 SU's tend to be a little on the small side, even for mildly tweaked 850's. Any SU with a side mounted float chamber can, on a car equipped with a highly developed suspension system, run into the problem of fuel surge under cornering and braking" SUs with concentric float chambers such as the H.I.F series, effectively overcome this problem."</span>

He goes on to say: <span style="font-style: italic">"If you are concerned with using the best of the SU range, my vote goes to the H.I.F range of carbs. These carbs fall into the 'excellent' category. These carbs tend to have a higher flow capability than the earlier carbs of the same size "</span>

According to the airflow capabilities chart in the book, an HS2 has a flow rate of 110, while an HIF6 flows at 240. To make the point about size vs flow rate, and HS6 (same dia, as HIF6) is 210

Furthermore, he goes on to point out:

<span style="font-style: italic">"Bear in mind that on a four cylinder engine, none of the induction pulses actually overlap to any great degree. As a result, although all cylinders may share a carb, they do so at a different time. Having two barrels of carburation on a Mini engine does not necessarily mean that when a cylinder draws air, it sees any more carburation. The proof of the pudding is the fact that if the intake manifold can be designed with sufficient efficiency, one barrel of a side drat Weber carb will produce very similar to an engine using two barrels. In certain places in the RPM range, due to inertial ramming, a single barrel setup will actually show better power."</span>

and...

<span style="font-style: italic">"Again, it's probably worthwhile for me to make the point that the carb capacity I am referring to is the capacity that one cylinder uses. In other words, we are only ever talking about the airflow capability of one barrel of carburation, whether the engine has one or two barreled carb ."</span>

As is explained above and as well as to me by someone with considerable expertise, it is my understanding that you can't add the cross sectional areas together. IOW, the maximum cross sectional area of two HS2's is still 1-1/4". Or to put it another way, the standard twin 1 1/4" carb configuration each cylinder can take advantage of a 1 1/4" carb flow.
With the single HIF44, each cylinder can take advantage of a 1 3/4" carb. Vizard repeatedly reiterates the advantages of a single carb throughout the Carb chapters.

This is what I based my original statement upon.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Roger said:
Gerard said:
Roger said:
It'll work, but not nearly as well as a real Spridget setup.

I would disagree. If it fits under the bonnet, a single HIF44 would be better than twin HS2's

On a 1098?

I got off on a tangent comparing twin HS2's with an HIF44, but it was originally stated that the manifold is for an HS4. In any event an, HS4 would probably be the ideal size with a 1098.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I did read The Book before I went down this rabbit hole.
The single carb setup is great for the street and does
work VERY well.
It is true that my HS2s are on a custom ported, stock intake but so were the HS4s and the HIF6 so I just figured the intakes were a wash.
Anyway, I think the OP will like how his 1098 runs with a single carb.
Hap hooked me up with an early intake for the HS2s(better flow)
and then he ported the thing to match my GT7 Longman head.
It's bad to the bone.
:devilgrin:

Attachments

• 29376.jpg
    29376.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 257

nomad

Yoda
Well, I was just comparing area's of the bore's and was not aware of the further details that you brought up, Gerard. Only interested in keeping the discusion friendly! I am a fan of the single SU as well and am running an HS6 on my Datsun engined Midget. A fan if for no other reason that it is far easier to tune!
I do however disagree with the engine only seeing the flow from one bore of the twin setup. Both carbs open and are linked albeit thru a torturous manifold.
Was not aware the HIF flows better than a HS and might be keeping my eye open for a reasonably priced one on flea-bay.

Kurt.

I very cautiously wade into this pool :smile: I think one the things that make people gravitate to the single HIF44/HIF6 carb set up is simplicity, but one the major pitfalls to this set is intake manifold design, same as the downdraft, or sidedraft Webers, the fuel/air has a longer path to travel, the twin SU set up allow for straight shot. David's HS2 carbs have a few minor tweaks, but no where near the amount of tweaks that can be done to HS2s for the street, their greatest tweak is the neat v-stacks we used and the KN air filer set up. At the end of the day, I think if you build a nice set of HS2 with a nice v stack and air filter set up, and few perforamce mods, there is no better set up you can have on a street driven A series engine IMHO. To add to this, I very much not a fan of the intergrated flaot design carbs, they have varying temp idle issue, they havebeen driving the MGB guys nuts for decades, if i were to put a single carbs on a A series engine, it would be a HS6.