• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

***UPDATE*** on the '71

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Well, dahubby and dason looked at 3 cars today. A '74 Jensen Healey that was a huge piece of crap (quote), a '78 B that wasn't in terrible shape (quote), $1500 each. The Jensen was eaten up with cancer and the B was too 'modern' for dason.

At 6:30 they went to look at the '71 that I made the offer on. NOT telling the seller(s) that they were related to me. Chuck looked it over fairly well. Asked if anyone had looked at it. The wife said (and this is a direct quote) "Some crazy lady came and looked at it last week, called twice with a ridiculous offer, I didn't even bother calling her back."

Ridiculous. That's why no one has bought it yet I suppose.

Anyway, dahubby asked the guy what he wanted out of the car. The guy said $1100. Chuck said, "Well I might give you half of that." Then proceeded to tell them that they just looked at a newer MGB, in one piece, that ran, in much better shape for about the same money. Wife says, 'Well you should have bought it.' Wife mentioned they'd seen MGBs in the paper for as much as $13,000. Chuck told her that there might be the occasional B that is worth that sort of money, but if she'd look on ebay, she'd get a better idea what the cars are going for and what their car is worth. That there are a lot of cars in better shape than theirs for the same money or less. That woman told Chuck, 'Well you better shop on ebay then and stop wasting our time.'

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I hope the rust maggots feast on that car until there's nothing left but the tires and vinyl. I wouldn't buy that car from them if they offered it to me for $7.00 now.

Crazy lady. She doesn't have a clue.

So as far as I am concerned, they can drag it to 'store' at their son's junkyard. THAT will really raise the value of it.

I TRULY hope they call me in a couple weeks after they realize no one is going to touch that car for $1100 and offer it to me. Because I intend to tell them they should have taken my money and ran because I am not interested.

~grumbles something about crazy lady~

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Now, where is this car located? Maybe we can get my Friend John Weimer over in Cape Girardeau to go play with their mind a bit!

Bawanadic

I hate to hear that the people were so unresonable about the car.
Sounds like their using rectal vision /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
The car is in Collinsville, about 20 minutes from downtown STL, 2 hours from Cape. I was thinking the same thing Tony, get a few of the guys in the car club to go mess with her...

I do have pictures of it now (a few dason took) I'll upload them from the camera.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
So she had you pegged in one visit eh
061%5b1%5d.gif

I ran into the same thing with a guy up here who thought he rusted out GT was worth a fortune. I thought my offer of 800 if it runs or 500 if it doesn't was more than fair.

G

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who think that just because it is old, it is valuable. It's a shame because good cars go to waste. As you can tell, I've had a few very negative similar experiences.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
The paint
black1971c.jpg

Tin worms
black1971b.jpg

2 interior shots
black1971d.jpg

black1971e.jpg

G

If the rest of the car is in that sort of shape, and I think it probably is, you probably offered too much!! Don't worry, there are plenty of other cars out there.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
~nods~

They're going to 'store' it in a junkyard if it doesn't sell in a couple weeks. And by spring, it will be completely worthless. And remember, this car was last started 5-6 years ago. Gaskets, seals, etc. are all shot. The most current license tag on it was 1981, so it hasn't been driven in 24 years.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I had decided a week ago, not a dime more than the $700. That car isn't going anywhere, any time soon. The top's in great shape...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I really want them to call me back and offer it to me...
because I don't want THEIR '71. She done ticked me off calling me crazy.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

WJM

JB I think they done you a favour. One will turn up.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Yes! Let it go. If I were to get another CB Car, I would eiher get a '67 or earlier with the steel dash or a '73-74 with a glove box, face vents, V engine w/head and oversize intake valves and HIF's.

But for now my '70 is doing just fine for me!

Stop buying with your heart. Another one will turn up.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Let what go? What '71?

I'm already onto bigger and better projects!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Some interesting posts,I am quite often on both sides of this issue, as a buyer and seller.I rarely get mad if someone doesn't accept my offer,but I do get upset if someone makes an insulting offer on one of my cars.{ an insulting offer coming from a knowledgeable buyer}I hav'nt seen this particular car so I can't comment about it.But reading the posts so far I am inclined to think that the car must be worth at least what was offered, maybe more.We all know that a car is worth only what someone will pay given a specfic time period.As a point of interest,Ebay is NOT the arbitor of value,particulaly when you factor in logistics.Anyway patience there will always be another.Just some random comments from someone on both sides of the isle.

Bawanadic

I think you offered more than what it was worth and since it hasn't sold,the rest of the british crowd in the STL area must think the same.
Reminds me of a time when I traveled for a living, I happened to spot a BMW Isetta in rough shape but restorable,sitting on the side of the street. While looking at the car, the guy who owned it, came driving up with a truck and towbar. He was hauling it off to a crusher and I asked what he wanted for the car and he quoted $5000.00.
I couldn't afford it and didn't think it was worth it, so I made a counter offer only to be cursed out.
He was going to get about $65.00, at the time, for scrap. I had offered him $500.00 (what I had it pocket change at the time). He told me if he could not get what it was worth then he would prefer to just destroy the car.
Some people are their own worst enemy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I'm comfortable with what I offered, and I knew when I made the offer I wouldn't go up on my price. And BoxO, that car would have sold already if it was worth the asking price. It wasn't an insulting offer, by a knowledgeable buyer, it was a fair offer for a car that hadn't been started in 5+ years and hasn't been driven since 1981. There isn't anything on that car that doesn't need worked on or replaced.

Like I said before, I'm onto better projects. That car can rot in their son's junkyard if that's what they want to do with it.

Now...where's a '66 or '71 B hiding?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've a '66 that I just acquired - straight, solid, disassembled!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Check your PMs Tony!!!