• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trans fluid question for 98 xj8

sulup

Freshman Member
Hello everyone been away for a while and now I`m back with a question about trans fluid in a jag xj8.I want to change my trans fluid,Can I use amsoil full synthetic universal atf for my 98 xj8 with 86k miles?(just a service,fluid,filter,gasket)I think it takes 7to 8 qts.Hope someone can help me. Thanks guys. Lou

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My "gut reaction" is unless you have a way to actually flush it to get the torque converter emptied of all regular ATF it would be a bad idea. Further: I don't think any trans shop would be willing to do the proper flush with synth as it would "contaminate" what's in their machine... I wouldn't chance it. What's so bad about the standard ATF?

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had not even thought about the mixing of both mineral and synthetic oils, although I don't really think it's of much consequence. But what I have been told about synthetics is that they are thinner and increase leaking. Jaguars don't need any help in the Leaks Department. Whether that is true I don't know because I just don't use them, several Jag technicians have told me "don't do it". But I am referring to old 1965 and 1984 Jaguars, I do not know a lot about modern models.

motorcarman

Freshman Member
I'm looking at the ZF 5HP24 Tech guide and it states that the gearbox features a 'filled for life' oil system. When I worked at the Jaguar Dealer, the only time I changed some of the fluid (4 liters) was when the gearbox temp sensor was replaced as part of the internal harness (thermistor) or some other faulty sensor. OEM fluid was around $40.00 a liter. For that much money I would think it is symthetic. It's a golden brown smelly fluid. If yours is dark then maybe you should drain and refill as much as possible (maybe drive and drain several times) I see that Motorcars Limited 'https://www.motorcarsltd.com' is offering a synthetic fluid from BG. You might call the 800 phone number and ask alot of questions.

OP
S

sulup

Freshman Member
Thanks Exotexs too,I was told that the fluid in the trans is synthetic and being that it is a sealed unit the synthetic is good because it withstands more heat and lasts longer thus no changes until 100k or higher.

OP
S

sulup

Freshman Member
Thanks motorcarman.Yes I know the fluid is synthetic.I was told that the amsoil synthetic universal atf would work well.

OP
S

sulup

Freshman Member
Just want to thank everyone for all your info on this trans fluid matter.You guys are the greatist! Lou

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah, me neither... but do report back.

OP
S

sulup

Freshman Member
Well I changed my trans fluid today 08/18/07 and so far so good.It`s shifting smoother,no leaks or noises.Keeping my fingers crossed,will report back in a week or two.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Lou,
How did you add the fluid since there isn't any fill tube?
I had to design and build a filler device for the shop because they were using a squirt bottle and spilling more of it than they were adding. It also gets hotter that heck under there and the exhaust was melting the bottle.

OP
S

sulup

Freshman Member
Well I left it up to a local trans shop which there are a few procedures you have to go through to do it the way the dealer does it.They gave me a printout on these procedures.There is about 10 to 15 steps to take.Since I already had the fluid and filter kit they charged me $80.00 which I thought was a deal.Sofar everything is working great.Thanks again for all your info on this matter. Lou