• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tranny Woes! Up-date Explorer transmission install

Bret

Yoda
Tranny Woes! Update Explorer transmission install

OK, I don't know if I should cry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif or get MAD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif!

As some of you know I installed a new transmission in my wife’s old 1995 Ford Explorer last weekend. Well the next night I noticed some fluid under the vehicle. I checked and sure enough it was indeed transmission fluid. Verified that it was leaking from the tranny oil pan.

Called the remanufacture Monday and told them what I found. They at first asked if “I’d touched or re-tightened the pan bolts? “I told them that I hadn’t and wanted to check with them before I did anything. Then they asked that “I try to tighten the pan bolts and call them back to let them know if that worked or not.

Well today I finally had the chance to crawl under to retighten the pan bolts and prepared to torque them down to the proper settings (Haynes says: “108 to 130ft/lbs”). Anyway I was horrified to discover that all of the bolts where loose and worst than that three or four of the bolts are stripped – spinning freely!!!! Now I can understand a loose bolt or two, but this was not a mistake - but an obvious example of someone trying to get away with something. There is no way the mechanic performing the rebuild or the tech that dyno tested this unit should have missed this. Moreover I as a customer shouldn’t be required to double check the work before I install the unit either.

Anyway I called the remanufacture back right after I discovered the problem. After some bantering back & forth with the support technician he said I’d have to talk to his boss. After a bit of phone tag I finally managed to get him on the line.

After a lot of apologies and sincere on the part of this guy. He offered to fix the problem rather than exchange the unit. He is willing to have a shop install a some of heli-coils but doesn’t want to spend a fortune repairing the pan bolts.

Maybe I’m too nice a guy. But I agreed to do the work my self as this isn’t a difficult procedure and he agreed to reimburse me for my time and the cost of replacing the fluid along with any incidentals that may arise.

I did let them know that I was extremely upset and will make sure the tranny shop that performs the “warranty” required inspection knows about the problem and goes over the entire unit with a fine tooth comb to look for anything else that might have been missed.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I’ll let ya all know how it turns out.

Now, if you'll excuse me I think its time for a boilermaker to settle my nerves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Re: Tranny Woes! Update Explorer transmission install

Awwww man. That blows!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif I probablly would have lost my cool and demanded they replace the trans AND have someone put it in. I guarrantee you that someone at the plant KNEW that pan was not right, but let it go anyway. heck, I'm mad and I don't have anything to do with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
(Haynes says: “108 to 130ft/lbs”).

[/ QUOTE ]
Please double check that spec. Make sure that is not inch-pounds, insetad of foot-pounds. most wheels are installed between 80 to 100 ft-lbs. I can't imagine pan gasket bolts, threaded into aluminium being tightened to much more than 15 or 20 ft-lbs if that!
That Haynes spec would crush the gasket and strip all the holes.
Best of luck Guv'na

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(Haynes says: “108 to 130ft/lbs”).

[/ QUOTE ]
Please double check that spec. Make sure that is not inch-pounds, insetad of foot-pounds. most wheels are installed between 80 to 100 ft-lbs. Best of luck Guv'na

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif That was a type'o on my part - it is actually in-lbs not ft-lbs.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

Phew! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gifya had me worried.
Hope all turns out well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Man, that sucks. At least they were willing to work with you in some way to find a solution and basically admitted that the fault was on their end. Thats a real blunder to, something as obvious as that. Makes me wonder what else they might have potentially goofed up inside the unit, try not to think about that. In fact, sorry I brought it up.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I know that kind of frustration first hand though. I bought a "rebuilt" rear diff for one of my Mustangs once, turned out to be a $600 piece of crap. I tried to get the guy to admit that he used junk parts in the rebuild, he basically told me to take a flying leap. We went back and forth on the phone using language that would have made my sailor father blush. I then had to have another highly recommended local Ford guy rebuild the "rebuild" to finally straighten it all out, which cost me a few hundred more. This guy told me he knew the guy that built the unit and that many, many people had problems with his stuff, all complete junk. I saw the dude I bought the unit from at his tent at Carlisle a few months later, he does a lot of business at the show and through Hemmings. I thought about making a scene there and having it out with him in person but decided to keep my blood pressure in check and not get thrown out of the show. I would have loved to hurl that rear end at him though.