• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 paint code for damson

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I need some help with paint codes. The paint shop can not find a cross reference to match the original color. The paint color for my 69 TR6 is Damson (paint code 17). I have found other references (Dupont 8511, and a PPG code), but they do not seem to help the shop I took it into. Same problem when I tried to get the paint myself at an auto paint store. Can anybody help me?
Thanks, Kevin

G

Kevin,
Beware of paint shops! Many body and paint men have resorted to using what I would call "non-standard brands" and these off brands will not cross reference with the PPG or Dupont paints. I had the misfortune of taking my car to a popular paint shop that had switched to a cheaper grade of paint and the color that he came up with was not the Emerald that my car was supposed to be. Maybe you need to get your own paint and let the shop use what you get. Just make sure that you get the correct primer. Paint guys have to make a living and they make a profit on the paint itself. You may have to find a different shop.

Oh, and by the way, I think that Damson is the best color that the TR6 came in. When applied correctly and waxed well, it is a knockout.

Bill

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Bill. The previous owner did a horible job painting this car. I have stripped the overspray from all the parts and engine bay. I am a long ways off from completely stripping and repainting this car.

The major part I am dealing with is the windsheild right now. I stripped and removed all rust from my windsheild frame. I then sprayed it with two coats of epoxy primer. I am hoping to get the entire car painted next summer after I have had a chance to do the body work properly. (I am in more need of some fun driving at the moment.) In the meantime, I just wanted to paint the widsheild so that I don't get paint over the new rubber when I finally do paint it.

I admit I have kind of wondered about the quality of the paint some of the cheaper shops use. What is odd is that even the local car paint store that sells PPG says my color is only offered now in laquer. I just don't believe it. I am going to a British car show this weekend. If I don't get any more feedback from the forum maybe I'll ask around there. Another option is to just take a part to the paint store and try and color match it.

G

Kevin,
Do you have access to an exclusive PPG paint vendor? They have a handheld scanner that can shoot 3 or 4 spots on your car and match with extreme accuracy the existing color, whether it be for a complete paint job mix or just a half-pint of touchup paint. My car is done in basecoat/clearcoat and the PPG jobber scanned me a small amount of acrylic touchup paint that is self-shining and easy to use as a touch-up for rock chips, etc. When someone tells you that something can't be done, it means that they themselves can't or won't do it. Keep checking.

Bill

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the information. What type of paint did you end up using (enamel, urethane, polyurethane,..)? I went to four paint shops in this area, and this is the only company that even seemed like they would work with me. I am ready to attempt the job myself. I think I'll just pick up the windsheild and figure out what I am going to do later. I will check into finding a PPG rep. What a bummer, - I thought I would be driving by now.
Kevin

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Since there have been a number of posts on painting lately, I thought it might be nice to give an update. Noone local was very helpful in matching paint color - not body shops or auto paint stores. I decided to go to the PPG website. They didn't have the type of paint I wanted, so I emailed their web site and received an email back the same day. I was told that I could call in and they could match whatever I needed. When I called, they were friendly and patient in answering my questions. They sell as small as touch up to gallon sizes. I just needed a pint to spray my windsheild.
At the price the paint shop wanted to paint my windsheild ($250 - even after I bead blasted and epoxy primered it), I am going to take a shot at it myself. If anybody has any tips for painting urethane let me know.
Kevin

4aNot4

I thought that all TR6s had a matt black windshield frame from the factory, regardless of body color.

G

Actually, the 69 TR6 (I think Kevin's is such a car) had a body colored windshield frame. And, if you want to go further, a very few early TR6's came from the factory with the Kamm back in body color as well. So, if you ever see a concours 69 TR6 being judged for originality, and his rear is not black, compliment him.
The rest of us that have black windshield frames and rearends, the perfect paint and paint color for this is available at the devil's store (Walmart). That would be Krylon semi-flat black paint in a rattle can. Krylon is very high quality spray paint, is not a fish-oil based paint (like Rustoleum) and holds up very, very well. I painted the tail of my TR6 in my garage using Krylon (my body man did a horrible job) and it is perfect, if I must say so myself.

Bill

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Bill - yes, my 69 did have the windsheild matching the car color origninally. I always thought the rear end was black, too. The paint job is horrible on this car. I will eventually strip the body, and remove the fenders to check for rust. I'm hoping to peel back the rear to see what color it was originally. Any idea when the rear end was painted black (body number?) By the way, thanks for the info and encouragement, Bill. I won't have a Concours car, but I want it as original as possible when I finish. It normally doesn't take that much more to make it original.
Kevin

4aNot4

Bill, you are right. I checked Piggott...he writes that all TR6s up to CP50001 had windshield frames painted body color. Didn't know that some of the early one had a body color fanny...

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hear is what I did for my Tr250. I did a non Triumph color. I know shame on me. But this works extremely well. If they (PPG) can mix your actual color in a lacquer paint say 4 or 5 ounces. I would have someone spray a flat test panel and take it back to the paint store and have them scan it with their infrared paint scanner. You get what is called a profit formula. Their computer will pick a paint code that is very close to the color and change the base formula to match your color. They or your paint shop that uses PPG can now mix it in any of their paint lines. You now have a perfect formula to keep forever to match your car's original color. If you ever need any spot work done you get a perfict match. Be sure if you take it to a paint shop that you tell them that the base formula has changed (profit formula) and only use the individual formula for each tint listed below the base code number. I took Mack Truck blue and added white tint until I got the shade I wanted. Then did the scan. Can out perfect. I learned the hard way though. The Painter at the body shop that mixed me some paint did not know that if there are asterisks before and after the base paint code listed on the top of the formula print out that the base formula had changed. He mixed me a quart using the base code and it was too dark. After investigating it the profit formula took out the black that was in the original Mack color. We remixed it ant it was perfect. Good luck!