• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 tr6 rear black paint

Inheritr6

The paint on my Tr6 is original including the black rear end. The black paint is rough to the touch, not smooth. I have a really hard time keeping it clean and giving it that shinny wet look. I have used a few different products that look good for a few days then little black “oil spots” start showing up all over the back. Has anyone else had this problem and what are you guys using to keep it clean?

Thanks,

Dan

DSC05220.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
dan- actually it is not suppose to be shiny. More of a matte look. I think. Should be smooth though.

OP
I

Inheritr6

I guess shinny is the wrong word because it is a matte finish. But the paint is not smooth so I dont think waxing it will work which is the problem I have.

V

vagt6

Very nice looking original paint! My first choice is always a car with good original paint. You're lucky! Nice TR6.

The matte finish on the TR6 rear deck is the same paint used on MKII GT6s (windscreen surround is black on some).

The matte finish is not smooth like normal body paint. It does not shine, and if it's original or OEM, it cannot be made to shine. Kind of a dull black color with a bit of texture to it, but not rough to the touch.

Sounds like yours is normal. Can you post a close-up pic??

I hope this makes sense. :crazyeyes:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Nice paint job.

If you want it to look a little better, less a "wet" shine try Mothers Carnuba paste wax.

Attachments

• 11722.jpg
    11722.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 202

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Or forget the black all together...lol

BTW: what year did they remove the rear reflectors?

DSC05918.jpg

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I thought I read somewhere that the black on the rear is suppose to give the illusion that makes the car looks wider

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
It actually makes the back look like a better target for some idiot in a speeding SUV on a cell phone drinking coffee and arguing with his wife/girlfriend when they approach you at a light or stop sign.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
All,

The rear reflectors only came one year, 1971 and believe it or not VB shows a listing for them, reflector and surround only, no pads.

Wayne

OP
I

Inheritr6

Thanks guys,

Vagt6 that does make sense. I guess I’ve seen a lot of repaints that look different from mine and was wondering how to get that shine. Here is a close up of the back. You can see where I cleaned around the edges but not around the licenses plate. Like I was saying earlier, it stays clean for a few days then starts turning that grayish black color. I wonder if the back gets hit with a lot of exhaust fumes and dust from the road.

Kodanja, I never noticed a TR6 with back reflectors. Interesting they only added them on one year. Also, we had a whole discussion on a different website about the Triumph badge on the back of the TR6’s and what years had them where. Seems to be a lot of confusion about the topic. Thanks again.

Sorry for the giant picture…. My work computer wont let me resize.

DSC04992.jpg

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
As far as I know the Badges on the rear of my car is just my preference

jakes9-079.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Up to 72 I think had the TR6 logo.I think. Someone will pie up and disprove me I'm sure.
Didn't we just have the reflector discussion?

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In '73 I bought a '71 TR6 from a good friend it did not have the reflectors. I believe they were from either '69 or '70.

INHERIT,

My guess is the clouding is likely from wax. The back panel is not intended to be waxed. There is a very slight texture to the paint. Shiny paint has a very smooth surface. The smooth surface reflects light uniformly = shine. The texture in the black paint does not reflect uniformly. The wax that is built up in the texture dries and turns white. Because the texture is so small your polishing cloth can't get in to remove the dried wax. It's similar to waxing a car with very faded paint. A good carnuba wax contains a fair amount of oils. The immediate effect of waxing is an improved shine. As the oils evaporate the dull faded appearance returns.

You may want to try using some wax remover.

BOBH

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No, some 71's had them too
Who ever posted that bulletin please repost. I think randle remarked on it too.

OP
I

Inheritr6

Bobh, thanks for the info. That makes sense, I have never used wax on the back but it's quite possible that my Uncle (PO) did. I will try some wax remover tonight. Thanks

OP
I

Inheritr6

Thanks Bill, this car is actually from your neck of the woods, it was bought new by my Uncle who lived in Metairie Louisiana. He drove it for 10 years then it sat in his garage until I picked it up in 2006 and brought (towed) it to California.

V

vagt6

To get the wax off, you might simply try using dishwashing soap on the matte finish. Soaps like "Joy", etc., cut grease, and also car wax.

Try not to get any on the paint, it will remove the wax there too. Never wash your (waxed) car with dishwashing liquid. Removes all the wax!

I found this out the hard way . . . :wall:

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Beautiful car and nice color!

The small oil spots on the back of the TR6 is normal and there's nothing you can do about it except maybe a brand new engine and even that might do the same thing.

My car is painted body color on the back panel (mallard blue which looks like green) and has a gloss finish so i just wipe them off with a degreaser, more difficult with the matt black.