• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR#3windshield wipers and washers

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My 59 tr3 has late body,so originality not a big issue.
I have two holes about 3/8 ,next to the wheel head holes for wipers.I am guessing these are for the acorn nut type washer nozzles?
where would reservior and controls be?
Any body have any diagrams or pics of complete wiper and washer assembly?
I am missing everything except wiper motor,and two wheel heads which are missing the back plates, and am trying to figure exactly what I need.
I saw Mosss diagram but didnt see washer stuff.
Also the wheel heads each have two studs-how do these mount?
Thanks
Tom

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The wheel heads clamp to three sections of tubing, through which the operating cable runs. From the motor to the first wheel --> between the wheels --> and a little stub section at the end to keep the cable clean where it exits the second wheel. The two wheel housings are held to the scuttle by chromed nuts and spacer cones. The nuts thread onto the wheel housings.

The washer setup is an accessory. I don't know where the factory mounted stuff, but it was probably more often dealer installed, meaning, numerous locations were used for the reservoir bottle and the dash-mounted pump.

I mounted the bottle inside the engine bay, on the left side inner wing, near the firewall. I mounted an electric pump beneath it, and put the push-button switch in the dash, near the bottom, to the left of the gauge cluster.

The generic electric pump I used is too strong. It shoots the fluid over the windscreen -- useless. I either need to modify the jets, or put a flow restrictor in the line to calm it down.

According to Terri Ann's bulkhead diagram, the washer hose passes through the firewall above and just to the right of the voltage regulator.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you poke around on TeriAnn's site, there is also a photo of the "original" washer knob sticking out of the dash. The knob operated the pump directly, so the pump was mounted on the back of the dash. One tube ran from it to the reservoir bottle, which as Moses says was mounted in various places. Mine appears to have been on the left inner wing, roughly opposite the #3 plug.

The other hose went to a small brass (or maybe plastic on later cars) tee, then to each nozzle. The nozzles incorporated a check valve; apparently the pump did not.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randall and ,and Moseso
Thanks once again for the info.Will check out Teriann's site and generic reservoir and pump systems .
Thanks again
Tom

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There's a guy on ebay that sells a repop bottle & bracket for about $40. That's really high, but I couldn't find anything else that didn't stake out too much real estate in the engine bay. I see the hand pumps on ebay from time-to-time. They seem a bit pricey too. I don't know if anyone is currently reproducing it. A generic electric pump can be had at any auto parts store. I don't know if they are sensitive to polarity, however. If you're already running negative-ground, it won't be a problem.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Moseso said:
I don't know if they are sensitive to polarity, however.
They use permanent magnet motors, so the motor will run backwards if the polarity is reversed. But usually, it's just a matter of connecting the leads properly, the motor isn't grounded through the mounting. And the pump is pretty simple, it might not make much difference which way the motor turns.

I see TRF has reproduction bottles listed (tho not brackets or pumps).

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks agaain for the info.Saw the pics in Moss that I had overlooked,so now have apretty good idea of what was available.
Tom