• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Spitfire windshield wipers getting old and slow

tomkatb

My 1977 Spifire windshield wiper motor seems to need help. When I turn it on it operates very slowly. After about 5-10 minutes it seams to speed up to near normal speeds.

Does this indicate that the motor/gearbox needs to be cleaned and lubed. Or the cable?

Larry

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Spitfire windshield wipers getting old and slo

Could be both, but more probably the motor. The cable and wheelboxes will wear, but for the most part they don't get that badly gummed up. The motor crank will get stiff, though, or the electrical brushes in the motor will wear down.

Its easy enough to disconnect the motor and open the crank case, clean it up and re-lube. Put it back in and try it out. If you want to go further, checking out the brushes involves opening up the motor case (just two long screws as I recall).

While the motor is detached, take the wiper blades off and try moving the wiper cable in and out just using your hand. It should push and pull very easily, if it is binding up you should be able to feel it. I think the spec for this if you want to hook a spring gauge on the end is that it should take less than 6 pounds to pull the cable with no wiper blades attached. Usually it is very easy to move.

Pulling the wiper cable out is no big deal either, but you will have to remove the package trays to access and loosen the nuts on the bottom of the wheelboxes that hold the cable in (just loosen). The cable just pulls right out and you can check it for wear and lube it on the bench. Sometimes you will need to slack those nuts right off when you come to put the cable back in, because you need to thread it through those aluminum tubes which are held in place on the bottom of the wheel boxes.

The wheel boxes themselves can bind also, but if you take the cable out you can unscrew the top nuts that hold the wheel box against the body and they can also be removed.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior

...old and slow...sounds like me...

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior

Good info, by the way, Ross. I may have to get into one of mine here soon.

skucera

I made mine much faster by cleaning the electrical connections, and then spraying them with silicon spray to keep them from corroding. Don't overlook the electrical aspects, but the lubrication is a great idea.

Scott

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee

Sounds like a good project for Ian when he gets bored. :jester: My wipers have run really slowly since I've owned the car.

Thanks for the tips Ross.

T

Tinster

I'm not a wrench but I did manage to get my wipers
functional.

I took the entire assembly apart, cleaned everything and
put in new grease. Still slow as a politician answering a
question with a direct answer.

Then I installed new wires/switch/connections- BINGO !!

wipers ran perfectly.

My advice is rewire the motor first and see if it makes a difference.
If it doesn't? Then take it apart.

dale :savewave:

BJones

Dale you never cease to amaze me. For someone that claims to not be a very good wrench, you sure have aggressively tackled all the problems that have come your way.

Cheers to determination :cheers:

OP
T

tomkatb

I messed with the thing today.

At present I am getting no power to the motor. I assume there is an issue somewhere. My switch is relatively new. All the rest of the electrical items on the car work so I assume it is not a fuse. The fun goes on.

Larry

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

"Aftermarket" switch? Consider shooting CRC 2-26 into it.

And the grease used originally will solidify into "wax" over time. Best thing would be to pull the whole assembly out and go thru it. Clean out all the original lube and replace it. Dale belies his abilities, but has done all the "right things". The motor is servicable and can be disassembled after it's been removed, two long screws as Ross has stated. Clean the commutator with red ScotchBrite pad and relube the bushings and wheelbox/cable with a moly lube. The things were designed to last a lifetime with proper maintenance. Mebbe two.

OP
T

tomkatb

Apparently the windshield washer pump and the wipers will not work. Where do I look first?

Larry

T

Tinster

tomkatb said:
Apparently the windshield washer pump and the wipers will not work. Where do I look first?

Larry

Larry,

I think they both feed off the same power wire from the fuse box.
Each should have it's own ground wire. If both motors are dead,
I would first jump the power wire around the switches and see if each
motor functions.

(But since I know very little about old cars, I'd really run a lightbulb
from the hot wire to ground to see if the wire is really hot. If the bulb
glows- the wire is hot into the switch.

hope this helps- the experts will chime in with correct knowledge.

dale

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

What kind of wiper switch do you have? Stalk mounted with the washer push-button on the end or dash-mounted?

OP
T

tomkatb

Stalk mounted. 77 for sure. Oddly the car has a 76 label but, a 77 vin number.

Larry

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

tomkatb said:
Stalk mounted.
Well both the wiper motor and the washer pump go through that switch so maybe you have a switch problem.

The wiper circuit is part of the 'Green' circuit coming off the top fuse. Check a couple of other things on the green circuit to make sure they're ok (like the heater fan motor, try your turn signals, check to make sure the tach works).

If all else is ok with the green circuit, disconnect the Light Green/Brown wire at the washer pump. Connect a meter or test light and see if you have power to it when you press the washer button on the stalk. If so, then the switch should be ok.

If you want to check the stalk switch, it has its own connector and short harness under the steering column. Unplug it and check for power at the solid green wire terminal coming into that harness from the fuse (you will probably have to remove the steering column shroud to get at it). If you don't have power there, you have a wiring problem between the fuse and switch.