• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Touch up paint!!?

nomad

Yoda
I miss the day when every parts dealer and auto dealer had a rack of touch up piant. Anyone know where I can get some "Tartan Red" touch up paint for a mid 60's spridget???

Kurt.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Any local BMC dealer should have it in stock :wink:
If not, try the British Leyland shop around the corner.
And if THEY can't help, they the local Austin Rover group.
Ok, shoot me now.

V

vagt6

Kurt, it may be hard to purchase the tartan paint off the shelf. This is what I do when I need some touch up paint. Just go to an automotive paint dealer/supplier (a store/vendor that supplies stuff to auto body shops) and they'll match your paint using a laser thing and mix the paint that's perfect for your color.

I did it on my GT6 and my Midget. One body shop did it for me free of charge, they had the correct color mix for glacier white.

You'll get a small bottle or rattle can that will last a long time. Worth the effort.

I'm pretty bad about scratching and small scuffs, this really comes in handy.

Good luck, let us know! :thumbsup:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
you can buy it online - these folk reference classic colours

https://tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

also

the editor of our club's newsletter sells touch up kits - a little more spendy (like $50) but complete with primer buff pads etc. I'll see if I can scare up the website

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Darn it spritenut, my BMC dealer musta moved. Last time I was by there it had been replaced by a shopping mall!!
Seriously though the last brit car dealer I know of in our area just closed up last year! "Motor Service Co." in Rapid City SD. John had to go into a nursing home. Great guy and great shop. Whenever we were in the Black Hills (about once a year) we would stop in to visit. He kept a stock of used brit cars and a mechanic that knew them. He fought in the pacific theater during 2'nd WW and when Toyota approached him in the 60's he told them to shove it. Did'nt care to sell cars for the enemy!!
I imagine for half a C note I won't have any problem finding some paint. Just hoping for a simple and cheap way out.

Tnx, Kurt.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Kurt

I know that place in Rapid City, I lived there in 68/69 and went back in 92 and he was still there complete with sign hanging on the building.

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Well, its a small world, spritenut! Hope you enjoyed your stay in the Hills before it filled up with humanity.
Poor John was a hard luck case. His father and him sold Studebaker before they took on BMC. We know what happened to both. He turned down Toyota and last new car dealings he had I believe were Alfa Romeo. Last few years he had his De Lorean in the show room and a early Land Rover in the front of the lot. Lots of parts cars out back.
I made it to the Sturgis RACES and rally every year(to race) till the late 70's cept for a reluctant stint in service to my uncle Sam. Just thru there at the beginning of the rally and there was only one night of short track scheduled. Sad!
Ray, thanks for the sight! I'm going to use it.

Tnx, Kurt.