• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Threaded holes behind cockpit.

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
I recently bought a '69 B that I'm restoring. There are two large bolt holes on the sheet metal between the cockpit and the boot. The holes have threads (maybe a bolt brazed on the underside). Would these be attachment points for a now non-existent hard top? What's even more baffling, the vinyl tonneau cover and bonnet cover have corresponding holes cut out in them too. This is confusing to me, because why would you use the bonnet cover or tonneau if you have a hard to installed? Anybody else got these holes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

goloch

I'd say they are likely the holes where the hooks for the top/tonneau should be. Here's two pics of my car: one with the boot cover in place and one with the tonneau in place. Click on the photos to enlarge for a better view.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Read the thread titled "Key holes" it's all about these.
They are not for a hardtop. Your car should have chrome studs installed there. they are the anchor points for the factory type shoulder belts.

OP
R

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
Okay, you've got them too. Good! I had a '78 B a while back (sold it) and it only had the two rear hooks that the top/tonneau rail slides into. I guess this was changed on the later models?

OP
R

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
Okay. I think you hit the nail on the head, Banjo. I'll do the search for key holes. Whatever these are, I imagine they are for something much sturdier than just a hook. I mean these are for relatively large bolts. Thanks for the info!

goloch

Yeah Banjo, I saw the newer posts in the thread. My car has the chrome top with the plastic tab. It all makes sense now with the seat belts. But why do the tonneau and boot cover have holes that imply they should mount there? Is there a method to the madness?

OP
R

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
Goloch, my tonneau and boot have the same exact holes in them. They look like they were cut in and sewn around after the fact because the stitching looks amateurish compared to the rest of the covers. Why wouldn't you just let the top and tonneau covers cover these instead of cutting out reliefs for them? By the way, my seat belts and all the associated hardware are long gone. Anybody got any for sale?

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Hmmmmmmm I wonder why a 69 would have the holes there for the seatbelt mounts if the seatbealt weren't attached to there until later years???

I don't recall my 69 having them...although it has been over 20 years since I had that car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bruce

Moose33

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you just let the top cover these instead of cutting out reliefs for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

the holes in your covers are there to provide faster access to "quick release" the shoulder belts and if using the shoulder belts it also helps to keep your boot cover from flopping around in the wind (<- not the orignal idea I'm sure, but it works)

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
If the shoulder belt was perminantly attached, you coulden't put the top up or down (main reason for the quick disconnect).
The idea of putting the holes in the boot cover and tonneau is so the belt dosen't have to be routed under the covers. That may have caused the belt to pull or get stuck on stuff, and make it uncomfortable or hard to use. (Yea, like everyone in the 70s used thier seat belts at all)