• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Pleasure of Reading Parts Catalogs

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
I just received and glanced through the newly published TR2-4A parts catalog from Moss Europe. It's filled with notations, editorial asides, and historical reference, including contributions by Peter Cox and Pete Buckles. Even at a glance it reminds one of the basis for the long-term love affair many of us have developed toward these cars.

I remember distinctly pouring, long ago, over the newsletters from Start Your Engines or the early days of VTR. One hungered for the "Tech Tips" tucked in; that is, shared knowledge about these peculiar and so attractive British cars. Now that we have the luxury of extraordinary electronic exchanges like BCF, it requires effort to reach back through the fog of the first internet list serves, and, before them, the spade work of the early printed catalogs, The Roadster Factory standing out in my mind, as offering such an expanded horizon, especially for those of us in our adolescence trying to understand and keep these cars going with limited resources.

And, I'm sure, most of us still rely, when problems or puzzles break the surface, as our first effort toward understanding, to turn again to the parts catalogs, printed or on-line: certainly to Moss or to Triumph's Spare Parts Catalog (if only to find the reference to order something from Roadster Factory). Or, in lieu of immediate and pressing problems, we indulge a little by visiting Revington or Ractorations or Northwest websites, or read through Macy's Garage's or Joe Alexander's just to keep track of more exotic parts that fill out the great catalog of possibility for maintaining or "improving" these critters.

Well, Moss Europe has made a lovely contribution in the line. Even if you never purchase a Stage II alloy head, reproduction Alfin brake drums, or a uprated heater, I'm convinced you'll be delighted with the read.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I remember when I first got my TR4A (1981). I would get parts at the local Bap-Geon, but I noticed for some parts they had this mysterious red catalog behind the counter that they would consult. Eventually I was able to catch a glimpse, and found out how to contact Moss Motors and get my own copy. What a wonder, to see all of the parts listed, along with a few performance parts, and all the tips and tricks! I still have that copy, though I no longer have any price lists to go with it. Probably better that I don't see what the various bits cost back then...

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Perry that was definitely the same experience I had when I got my first TR4A in 1980 (high school). I loved pouring over the catalogs when they came in the mail and dreaming of all the things that I wanted to do to the car.

Scott

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Probably better that I don't see what the various bits cost back then...
Right you are, Darrell! In recent months, I've managed to "score" a couple of Standard-Triumph Master Parts Price List publications from the early 1960s. Fire up the Delorean, Doc; we're goin' back in time to get me some parts! :D