• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Swapping out tranny, use old B&B Clutch?

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I planning on swapping out my cranky tranny in my 250 in the next month or so. I have a ton of spare parts I picked up over the years, including an orig slightly used Borg & Beck p. plate & disc that appear to be in good condition.

Does anyone have the specs on the thickness of the disc & what the psi on the springs should be on the pressure plate.

I understand some of the new stuff is not as good, so since these parts seem to have minmal wear, thought I might re-use them & save some dough.

Only thing I think I will replace is the TO brg, & clutch fork.

Any input would be appreciated.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Im not sure of the thickness,

But I just had my transmission changed over to a Type 9 5spd. about 1500 miles ago.

About 2 weeks ago I put the car in gear to find out there was no response.
I had the car towed back to John @ quantum mechs.

He called me to inform me that my brand new Borg & Beck clutch had failed.

The darn thing split in two, separating the inner and outter assemble.

I'm hoping to get the car back this week

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Yep, ya pays your money and takes your chances. I had a clutch disc in a Jag sedan fail due to metal fatigue. and it was still resonably good. On the other hand you could install the items your talking about and they could last a life time. Having said that if you are handy with tools and don't mind the work by all means give it a try. Of course as LBC owners we have to be ever mindful of Murphys Law!

Well given all this none help I've provided you....Good luck and let us know how you make out.

By the way I do have some new B&B components on the shelf awaiting installation. I'm off to work now but would be more than happy to dig them out and mike them for you. It would have to be later today though.

Regards, Tinkerman

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Again all the problems with aftermark parts, I never had any concern about parts back in the 80's when I was in college and on a shoesstring budget and never had a failure, I think until its broken I am not replacing clutchs, or rebuilding motors, I did have the rearend done by Quantum mechanics, I hope it holds up having said that, is there any cross over from cars like Toyotas? Maybe could use original disc and use a pressure plate from a celica or supra??

Hondo

PeterK

Yoda
I'd replace the disc, just cuz. And use the old plate unless the fingers are worn.

Celica and Supra parts don't fit TRs. The HVDA conversion uses a B&B TR6 plate and a sourced disc that fits the Toyota spline.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The new B&B clutches are junk (not from my own experience, but from two different Triumph shops that I've done business with). The only two oem style clutches I'd deal with would be LUK or Sachs.

That being said, I'm running a Spec stage two made of Kevlar.. that sucker will take anything my little 6 can throw at it and then some. Hopefully the last clutch I'll ever need.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The clutches are still being made AFAIK, although the company name has changed several times through mergers and acquisitions. Now Magal Engineering, I believe
https://www.magal.co.uk

I wonder, has anyone tried following up on Brent Kiser's clutch article, and trying to buy the 'proper' B&B style TR6 pressure plate, instead of the SAAB plate with the cranked fingers ?
https://www.mntriumphs.org/Tech_Info/Clutch Folder/clutch.pdf

OP
G

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
hondo402000 said:
Again all the problems with aftermark parts, I never had any concern about parts back in the 80's when I was in college and on a shoesstring budget and never had a failure, I think until its broken I am not replacing clutchs, or rebuilding motors, I did have the rearend done by Quantum mechanics, I hope it holds up having said that, is there any cross over from cars like Toyotas? Maybe could use original disc and use a pressure plate from a celica or supra??

Hondo
Yea, I know, I was really spoiled, working in a BAP/GEON foreign parts distributor back in mid-late 70's. We bought our parts directly from the supplier. Brit car, brit parts, Jap car, jap parts, german... etc. All OEM stuff & it always fit, because it was what they built the cars with!

It's a shame the way everything has become a "knock off" of poorly reproduced junk.

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee
Yep, I am putting another cam in my car, however, it is ground from a blank from the same manufacturer as the one that failed. What am I to do? Its either this or nothing. The suppliers in the UK are S--T. The don't want to talk to you if you ask certain specific questions, why? Because they are selling junk. They are nothing but a bunch of hodlums.