• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGC Swapping manual for auto trans in a MGC

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
How feasible is this? Is the manual box for the MGC a totally different unit?

If doing this, would it make sense to (purists may wish to stop reading now - but hey, the other cars are bone stock) put in a more recent 5 speed conversion kit?

What do you folks think?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The thing about the MGC manual transmission that's different from the MGB is the outside case....

Totally different...you're talking changing from a flywheel to a flex plate (or vice versa), changing shifting mechansm, changing pedals...

I think you have an automatic MGC - that's a rare bird (I've got a '69 automatic MGC)....were it me, I'd find another car that already has the transmission I wanted...that car's too valuable to whack up, IMHO!

Yes..it is feasible. Just make sure you get the correct gearing...your auto MGC *should* have a 3.307/1 rear gear set.

Ed Majek(sp?) in Ohio is wanting to do the same thing with a C....only he wants the stock 4 speed O/D unit.

You will need a "new" pedal box to accomodate the clutch master....not to mention the pedal assembly. Also a different bellhousing and maybe flywheel...and perhaps a diofferent backing plate

You might (probably will) be money ahead to sell the autobox MGC and buy a 4-speed version.

There were some 1200 automatic-transmissioned MGCs produced out of the production run.

Can I have dibs on your BW35 and associated ancillary parts if you choose to go this route?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

FWIW - YOMV

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, just send all the automatic stuff my way...I've an extra MGC engine for my 2 MGC's that's set up for auto...so, I'll put it all on my 'personal shelf'!

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
The MGC gearbox is internally similar to the MGB full syncro box but with different ratios and a much different case. I don't recall seeing this gearbox in anything else that came over to the states. If you want to convert an automatic to a manual you will need a flywheel , clutch , clutch hydralics and a pedal box and a driveshaft. Maybe there is a conversion out there but the MGC overdrive gearbox is just fine IMHO. I don't think the MGC floorpan is different from auto to manual but if it is I'm sure that someone on the forum will say.

Alan T

I already called "dibs" TOny!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Holy cow guys - that was fast!

I should add that the transmission is out of the car right now....

The plan is to really drive her and take part in some of the vintage rally events out here on the coast, and a manual transmission with an O/D would be a big help for that. That said - I don't want to butcher an quasi important/rare car.

I wasn't aware that there were so few produced. This has me thinking that I should more carefully consider making the change.

Steve, there are folks out there who need an automatic transmission because of a handicap. That's how I came across mine....fellow in the St.Louis area needed to sell it because of some financial problems he was undergoing at the time.

The BW35, while taxing performance somewhat, makes my 1969 MGC a dream of a road car.....and I have a lot of miles behind the steering wheel in her.

Many enthusiasts look down their noses at an automatic transmissions....I've never quite understood why.

R6MGS

Yoda
I really wouldn't recommend changing it....Even if it is feasible, your ruining a good car....Now if you wanted to sell it too me and buy a manual one that would be ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
there are folks out there who need an automatic transmission because of a handicap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wholeheartedly agree!

[ QUOTE ]
Many enthusiasts look down their noses at an automatic transmissions....I've never quite understood why.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't look down upon them, but I wouldn't personally own one. In order to get the most performance and best control out of a sports car, you need manual control of the gearbox. An automatic is a fine instrument for general driving, but most sports car drivers tend to push their cars harder than average, hence the preference for a manual.

To each his own.

:smile:

My '78 MGB is 4-speed (soon to be with O/D...even though I have ALWAYS stated that the 1800cc MGB engine is good for the revs experienced at highway speeds with the non-O/D transmission).

My 1968 MGC is non-O/D 4-speed

My 1974.5 MGB/GT was a non-O/D 4 speed, but now has a T5 5-speed behind the Rover 3.9 block.

My 1969 (that I have put the most miles on out of all of my MGs since 1996) has the BW35...and I would not swap it out for all of the tea in China. It is a fantastic, long legged road car.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here's how rare it is...of the 2,483 MGC roadsters sent to North America, 453 were automatic; of the 1773 MGC GT's sent to North America, 484 were autos.

I have an empty MGC manual transmission case.

R6MGS

Yoda
I'd jump at the chance to own an automatic MG....Even a B....Even if it's just to experience how a car I love so much in manual feels like with an auto.

Rob_Edwards

Jedi Hopeful
There are engine differences as well. I'm not sure what the physical difference is, but an auto crankshaft (part no. 12B1396) is different than a manual crankshaft (part no. 12B1393). They take different pilot bushes as well....

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So I'm getting the idea that making the swap is not the best idea because;

1) It is actually pretty involved
2) I'd not be respecting how rare the car is

I guess the problem (if you want to call it that) is that I'm priced out of resorted MGC's with manual and O/D, and the affordable MGC's with existing manuals I've found need major repairs (per my other post https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthread...page=0#256240).

Sorry, not trying to whine. Just a touch confused as to what I should do.

Steve_S

Yoda
The bottom line is, this is your car and you are going to be spending the rest of your life driving it. So if you really want a manual on the car, put a manual on the car. But save the original parts for future owners. I don't think any permenant modifications are necessary.