• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

swapping out my 1500 for a 1275. do-able?

Salyers890

I have a rebuilt 1275 sitting in my garage, with a new clutch on it, attached to a rebuilt transmission, and i'm looking at it's matching rebuilt carbs. My MG 1500 runs like ok, but not too great. anything wrong with this picture? PUT THAT NEW ENGINE IN THE SUCKER I'm pulling the 1500 anyway to clean/paint the engine compartment. Is it a bolt up job to swap the 1275 in?? or do the mounts from the frame/from the engine need to be switched/fabricated? anyone do this before? i tried searching for threads, didn't find any. . . also, can i use the same coil? how about other wires to/from the engine?

thanks in advance,
MIke

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re: swapping 1500 for 1275

Nope - almost impossible!

OP
S

Salyers890

OMG - i'm putting the 1275 in, sorry about that - i have a 76 1500, and i want my rebuilt 1275 in it's place. . . i can't believe i made that mistake. . . . now that the record is straight, anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance,
MIke

Bugeye58

Yoda

Mike, off the top of my head, you will need the 1275 motor mounts and pedestals, the tranny mount, the propshaft, the 1275 radiator and shroud, and the appropriate radiator/heater hoses. Not to mention the exhaust system of your choice. The 1275's used a mechanical temp gauge, and I think the 1500's are electric, so there may be some fiddling involved there. A small amount of plumbing, and swapping of the throttle cable. If you haven't already installed an electric fuel pump, that will have to be done.
As to the wiring, you may have to make a few changes, as the starters are on opposite sides, but I don't think there are any major difficulties in that department.
Whatever I've forgotten, I'm sure someone else will remember.
It's not as daunting a job as it looks.
Congratulations on making a good choice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Welcome to the forum. I've been working on a 64 Sprite for 18 mths (plus). Real close to driveable. It sat 18 years. Being your car sat so long -- did you have any issues with overheating ?

I do. I have replaced the water pump, re-cored radiator, new thermo, thermo housing (coroded) and hoses. H2O Pump & Thermo housing were SERVELY coroded and has zero passage (literaly). I'm afraid I'll have to pull the cylinder head and see how bad it looks inside. Did you do any of this before driving ??

I noticed you said you have a rebuilt 1275. Was this a difficlut rebuild? If things don't go my way -- I think I am going to pull my 1098 and replace with the 1275 (more fun once I'm done). Any words of wisdom on the engine & tranny rebuild ?????

Tx-

George Zeck

OP
S

Salyers890

well george, i didn't rebuild them myself. A fellow hobbyist had them done professionally (don't know by who) and put a beater engine in his car just so he could drive it around. . . . right about the time the engine/trans/carbs were done, he smashed his car into smitherines, WITHOUT a scratch on him thankfully. Needless to say - he go so frustrated he wanted to cash in his MG chips. He unloaded his public storage locker into my father's truck for 2 hundred bucks (previously bought NOS rear bumper/old front and rear bumpers with mounts from him for 100 bucks). I got one heck of a deal, i'd say. . . . but others on the forum would be glad to help with wisdom on rebuilds

now for the corrosion question. When the car was parked, i guess whoever had it before me must have used the right coolant/rust inhibitors, because i haven't had overheating problems yet. . . crossing fingers. of course i did flush the system thoroughly, but didn't see the need to take the pump off as i could tell it was pumping by the radiator getting hot. Only thing i did was the flush and thermostat (on principle). good luck, have fun. . . .let us know about the progress.
In terms of my progress on this project. I started looking around my stockpiles of spares for the necessary parts for this job. I found 3 of just about every radiator hose, to of the metal tubees that bolt on the frame, a set of engine mount cradles with mounts attached (they look OK, but should i change them on principle?). 2 radiators with shrouds, trans mounts, driveshaft (new U-joints). so i believe i officially killed this thread, lol MY QUESTION ANSWERED - thanks so much guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif time for a beer
i'll update you when i get started with the progress!

spritenut

Luke Skywalker

The Midget was designed around an A series engine (1275) and when they went to the Triumph 1500, they modified the body so it would fit and work.
Going BACK to an A series is simple, all the captive nuts and such are already in place and everything just bolts in.
But you do need all the A series accessories, radiator, heater system, cables, fuel pump, etc. So a handy parts car sure helps.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mike, just a simple addition here. You'll need the 1275 clutch slave cylinder as well, but I'm sure you figured that out. If you're like me, it's still bolted to the tranny anyway.
Jeff