• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stuck brake drums

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm trying to get the rear drums off the Tunebug today, with no luck so far. The 2 little screws are out, and the thing just won't budge. Tried some heat, and liberal application of my rubber mallet.

I remember the ones I pulled from the midget were stubborn, but these things just don't want to come out. Any thoughts or of other things I should try?

Bugeye58

Yoda
Drew, probably stupid questions on my part, but have you backed the adjusters off all the way? Released the "E" brake?? Sometimes, even after doing that, a few sharp raps with the mallet all the way around the drums are necessary to get the shoes to pop clear of the drums.
Jeff

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Adjusters are off as far as they'll go, and the hand brake is off.

The PO did rebuild the rear brakes, so I know the drum have been off in the last 3 years or so. Sucker just doesn't want to let go.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Well Drew, it looks like you're in for some quality time with your mallet. Use some PB Blaster, or equivalent, on the hub area, and try rapping around the drum, then hitting the face of it, 180* apart to see if you can get it to rock on the hub. If you try to pry it off, it'll just bend the backing plate.
Jeff

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I got the other side off, cam easily, so there's just the one (rear right) to go. I've got nothing planned this afternoon, so I guess I've got my activities laid out for me. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Drew
Do the drums turn but just not come off or are they completely stuck?
The answer will affect your actions.
Bill

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drum does turn fine, just won't release from the hub.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I tried getting these off recently & PB worked along with the correct screw tip & a coordinated effort of turning the screw driver & hitting it at the same time.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The screws are out, Vince (weren't there to begin with...) but the drum just won't come off. Either some gasket has turned to cement, or the drum has rusted to the hub. I'll just keep on working at it, just need a bit of patience I guess.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just an update, I've got 3 of the drums off, with just the right rear still stuck. I tried a gear puller, the sort with the 3 hook arms and a center bolt. No good. I've got it soaking in PB Blaster right now, as best as I can. Any other ideas?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It should come off (famous last words right) do you have a deadblow hammer? (no dents) I just pounded. One thought, is it still straight on the hub? (I wonder if it is jammed on angle) Could you try hammering it back on (so it's flat to the hub & alligned to the brake drums, then try pulling again - don't know of this makes sense. good luck

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Right now it doesn't seem to want to budge at all. I'm going to keep up with the old PB Blaster, and try my hammer again. No true deadblow hammer, just my trusty rubber mallet.

The other 3 came off no problem. Strange.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
try a "real" hammer with a piece of hardwood - no dents but more oomph. Not sure you're going to get enough hit with a rubber mallet.

as I sit here, I think I was able to lever mine off with a large screwdriver going slowly around the drum pushing lightly against the backplate

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'll give the larger hammer/hardwood a try tomorrow. I tried levering a bit, but that sucker is stuck on there!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Missed that. I thought maybe the drum was being held on by the shoe as was the case with me. If you can turn it that is not your situ. Must be rusted to the face of the axel but it should break free by now with all the bangiong & PB & heat....

BWillis

Jedi Knight
Drew,

When I took mine apart both of my rear drums were stuck as well. I used a piece of oak I had and hit it with a hammer around the edge of the drum. I had to hit pretty hard but by alternating side it eventually loosened up.

HTH.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Puller will not work as studs are not in the drum, they go through the drum.

If the screws are out, two of them, get around the back side and tap tap tap on the drum from side to side, can turn the drum to get a frest location. some times a bit more that a tap is required.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
This puller was the sort that hooks to the back of something, with a central bolt in to tension it -- hooks were on the back of the drum, bolt on the axle center. Didn't help, though.

I'll try the hardwood/BFH today and see if I can get it to budge. A little persistence is in order here.

Country flag
Turn it and beat the tar out of it rapidly. The vibration will most likely work it loose.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I put the side of a 2x4 against the inside of the flange and tap against that as I go around, seems to work usually, and I usually use a 2 pound hammer!
Bill