• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Shifter Stuck

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have a recurring problem. See the pic of my shifter, the rattle button and spring--and that rubber spacer someone added. I just disassembled my interior for the third time on this same issue.

The button popped out and the spring appears to have caught on something and is mangled. I have extras but I'm reluctant to put this all back together and have it happen again. That will make four go-arounds. Each time, it's scary. I can barely get the car in gear.

I'm wondering if the custom sleeve added by the PO is the problem. I have extra rod stock to make my own button, but even that doesn't comfort me. The first time this happened I figured my button was the problem. I'd made it longer thinking that would solve the problem, but it didn't. Maybe I needed to make it even longer, still.

My shifter is slightly worn but I can't imagine that's the problem.

Do I dare go with no button? Will the rattling send me over the edge?

Looking back, this is such an old topic. The thought of most in the past seemed to be to try a new shift lever, but I have a spare that looks no better. I'm inclined to leave the rattle button out, and just live with it. Inside the shift rods I can feel some wear, perhaps from the button, so who knows. That may be part of the problem.

Any further ideas, I'll listen.

Attachments

• Shifter.jpg
    Shifter.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
What is the custom sleeve / where does it go?

The mangled spring indicated something fell out of place… I’m wondering if the opposing surface has a problem? The shifter end fits into a “hole”, no?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You would not be the first to run without the anti rattle. I did on my first TR3A when the "cylinder/ball shot out into the yard when I removed the gearshift lever. Never to be seen again. I had no idea what it looked like or was supposed to do. And did not have any local shop or friend to ask. As far as I knew my TR was the only one around.
Running without it is definitely an option.
Looking at your picture the spring used looks to be stronger than what I remember using. I recall the spring to be shorter. I know that it is difficult to get the spring with anti rattle "cylinder" in place.
With the trouble that you are having, if it were me , I would run wihout the anti rattle and instead apply some thick grease to the end of the shifter.
As to the other device that you found, I am guessing that it is also an attempt to stop vibration. Several years back the recommndation was to use a piece of garden hose on the lower shaft to reduce vibration. However your device looks more sofisticated than a piece of hose.
Charley

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I never thought the anti rattle worked anyway. I just taught myself to keep my right hand on the shift lever.

Your problem is the shift sliders and/or shift lever are worn out, allowing enough room for the detent to fall out. At this level of wear, the spring and detent aren't accomplishing anything anyway.

The true fix is to replace the shift lever and/or sliders as necessary, or repair them by welding them back up and grinding or machining back into tolerance. In the mean time, leave the spring and detent...and whatever that "extra" part is, out.

The absolute best fix is to have your engine balanced to within 1/10 gram. I know that is not practical until rebuild time, but once you drive a balanced engine you will never go back!

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, I would eliminate the neoprene anti rattle piece. I used one on my car, and it worked to help the anti-rattle, but I had some problems getting into reverse and shifting was stiffer. I also had to really lift up on the shifter maybe a ÂĽ inch to get into reverse. I took the neoprene piece out and after that going into reverse was easier and there was no need to lift up. Now I only have the ball and spring.

I believe people are supposed to lift up the shifter to go into reverse. However, on my car there is no need to lift up the shifter now perhaps the leakage is old. I think my spring was bent like yours when I took the neoprene piece out, and I figured it was from lifting up the shifter so much. When I put the ball in spring back in, I use heavy grease to kinda glue the ball and spring in place for installation.

steve