• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Spitfire ABS transmission tunnel cover - worth it?

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
working on a '66 Spitfire, pulled the trans tunnel cover to get at some sloppy shifter bits.

It has the original fiberboard tunnel cover, not trashed but torn in a couple of places, most notably around the shifter cutout. PO sealed it with bathroom caulk, but it's still salvageable.

Thsi car is really, really original. Leaks everywhere, dents and dings all over the car - not a show car but unbeleivably original.

Considering the ABS cover from Spitbits/Moss/VB/BPNW - does anyone here have any insight on how well these fit, and whether it's really worth the $100, or should I just stick with the old one. VB also has something in Fiberglass - not sure how different that one is from the ABS version.

Also doing seat foams - ordering from Spitbits. Any words of wisdom before I pull the trigger?

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I repaired my transmission cover with about $10 worth of fiberglas cloth and epoxy then replaced the insulation with that foil and foam stuff (sorry the name escapes me). As much as I like SB and actually just placed an order with them (and also like to buy here in the US), I just purchased seat foams and covers from Park Lane Classics in the UK. They are really nice and nicely priced. Very detailed instructions too.

JRC

I'd say replace it if you have it apart. That's what I'm doing.

I'll be leaving my seat foams til later. Let me know how they work out.

dklawson

Yoda
When I last had the transmission out of the GT6 its fiberboard tunnel all but disintegrated. I replaced it with the fiberglass tunnels available at that time. It was nasty getting it to fit.

When we bought the project Spitfire it already had the plastic tunnel. It fits very well, much better than the fiberglass. I like it a lot more.

Whether to replace your fiberboard tunnel though is as much a question of time and expense as anything else. You could fix up what you have and that way keep the car as original as it is. On the other hand, that involves an investment of time and a bit of money. The plastic tunnel will be very sturdy but will take money away from other areas. If you'd said your tunnel was falling apart I would not hesitate to say "buy plastic".

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
I have the plastic one, and man is it easy to get on and off! The holes line up perfect every time. IMHO, its worth it!

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
The plastic ones are all over the place on quality. I've got good ones that fit well, and others that are off by several inches. Not even close to being useable. No, I've no idea where they came from.

None of them fit or work as well as the oem fiberboard ones do. They block noise and heat far better than any plastic or fiberglass tunnel. If yours is in salvageable condition, I would fix it up and use it.

V

vagt6

SpitBits has a perfect one, price is right, too.

Can't go wrong with SpitBits, very reliable.

The plastic tunnel cover is the way to go. I applied Dynamat on the inside of mine, really helped keep noise and heat out.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My had the fiber board one when I got it, biut it was in sad shape. I replaced it with an ABS one from the Roadster Factory. Waited till it was on sale and the price wasn't bad. It seems to fit OK. I had some issues with the front part sealing to the firewall.

Somehow I have ended up with two fiberglass ones. One of these will go into my 80 Spit when I get it to that point.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
JRC, I didn't take any pictures of my transmission tunnel repair but the insulation is Reflectix and I simply glued it in place with contact cement and trimmed around the perimeter. Mine was cut into two pieces at the shifter I guess so someone could take it out. You can use hot glue to hold it in place while you apply some two part epoxy and cloth to one side Just put on a coat of epoxy and lay a strip of cloth down on it and when it starts to set up apply a second coat. When one side dries turn it over and do the othes.